Let's talk burgers! (1 Viewer)

Krodwhodat

Subscribing Member
VIP Subscribing Member
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I've always been taught to eat steak medium/medium rare and burgers well done. Something to do with ground meat having bacteria on the inside but steak being sliced you sear and good to go. 2 weeks ago I ordered a burger and it came out medium/medium well and because I needed to catch a flight I ate it because I didn't have time to send it back. Best burger I've ever had. Since then I've had 3 more medium and I can't believe what I've been missing. So much better and juicy. How do you guys take yours???

I've always been taught to eat steak medium/medium rare and burgers well done. Something to do with ground meat having bacteria on the inside but steak being sliced you sear and good to go.

as gross as it is I think it is because of stomach lining getting punctured in the processing of the cheaper cuts of meat but in some of these burger joints these days you are just eating ground up steaks more or less. I have never had a problem going toward the medium side either way. People are too cautious with pork and turkey too IMO. I only worry with chicken to be honest and I don't get sick.

I like my burgers medium well. Most decent restaurants will make it for you that way if you ask.

At home I make them thick, about an inch thick if you can. Lots of salt and pepper throughout. Don't pack it too tight. Sear it over an open flame for 2-3 minutes and then finish with indirect heat for maybe 20 minutes. Comes out wonderful every time.

A good trick if you're doing a bunch of burgers at once and you're in a hurry is to buy the frozen ones. I know it sounds counterintuitive, but if you get good ones (100% beef) it works. The inside stays juicy and the outside is nice and charred.

Sorry but apparently it's immoral to eat a hamburger.

Growing up, I always ate my steak/hamburgers medium to medium well. While in college I worked at Steak & Ale as a cook and the longer I worked there, the more rare I liked my steak. (I also couldn't stand potatoes for a long time after I worked there. Just got sick of them. Now I can.)

At this time, it just depends on my mood. Sometimes very rare sometimes Medium rare, but never more for either steak or hamburger.

If going to a restaurant, it also depends on where. Different restaurants will define the doneness differently. What I would describe as rare, some call medium rare.

Recently, I've been cooking burgers on my BGE over high heat for 3-4 minutes a side.

A thick burger (8-10 oz., an inch or so thick) comes out medium and tastes fantastic.

Another favorite method is two 4 oz. patties skillet pressed over medium-high heat. That's an easy (but messy) way to make a good double-burger.

Recently, I've been cooking burgers on my BGE over high heat for 3-4 minutes a side.

A thick burger (8-10 oz., an inch or so thick) comes out medium and tastes fantastic.

Another favorite method is two 4 oz. patties skillet pressed over medium-high heat. That's an easy (but messy) way to make a good double-burger.

I have a BGE and I always feel like it's a lot of work unless I'm having a BBQ with a bunch of people. Maybe I'm being lazy...

I eat my steaks medium rare, but my burgers well done. I can't get over the mental block of being told in high school health that burgers should be well done because they are ground. Medium burgers, just can't do it at all.

At home I make them thick, about an inch thick if you can. Lots of salt and pepper throughout. Don't pack it too tight. Sear it over an open flame for 2-3 minutes and then finish with indirect heat for maybe 20 minutes. Comes out wonderful every time.

A good trick if you're doing a bunch of burgers at once and you're in a hurry is to buy the frozen ones. I know it sounds counterintuitive, but if you get good ones (100% beef) it works. The inside stays juicy and the outside is nice and charred.

Or if you're in a hurry you could just grill your burger like a normal person with direct heat for 8-10 minutes. :hihi:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom