Let's talk cookware (1 Viewer)

Reaction score
Sticky Post
It's time. My pots and pans are no longer viable. The magnalite professionals have served well over the years, but the step kids ran then thru the dishwasher and now they are pitted and leaving residue.

I've scouted a few different options but most of the lesser stainless and copper sets scare me based on the reviews. Some are happy, but there's quite a few pics and testimonials that they easily warp. I'll not mention so as to not influence recommendations.

I'm not opposed to paying for quality, but I don't want to over pay for a shoddy product.

Looking at the Made-In and found Caraway which look really nice and have some bonus items like the rack and lid holder.

So what other brands do you recommend?

Denzien

May contain 10% Ethanol
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I was kind of looking at these, but I don't think the blade has a cutout for gripping stuff like chicken bones, which has been a feature I've found myself using often.

I was also considering this pair from Ernest Wright, but I need a pair sooner than forever. I have a few scissors from these guys that are the best scissors I've ever used, but their turnaround isn't good given that they're handmade.

buzd

party lamp
Staff member
Tech-Admin
Reaction score
I was kind of looking at these, but I don't think the blade has a cutout for gripping stuff like chicken bones, which has been a feature I've found myself using often.

I was also considering this pair from Ernest Wright, but I need a pair sooner than forever. I have a few scissors from these guys that are the best scissors I've ever used, but their turnaround isn't good given that they're handmade.
For chicken, I would get a dedicated pair of poultry shears.

I have something like these (not these exact ones, but it has a similar curved blade).

Zack Lee

VIP Contributor
Reaction score

I have something like these (not these exact ones, but it has a similar curved blade).

have a similar pair since I like to cut the backbones out and freeze for stock. Don't want to run a blade you car about much through all that.

Zack Lee

VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I don't know if the Kiwi knives were recommended here or another site, but it is a fantastic product for $10. The blade is very thin and has the same edge as my Dexter Russell filet knives. I sharpen it every two weeks on my stones and I can still shave with it. Haven't used any of my other knives since I received this one in the mail. You can't go wrong for ten bucks.

I have not had one of that style. I may have to give it a try. I know Ive talked about this knife before but maybe on this thread but if you every just want an incredible blade in a well balanced industrial stlyle build, then this one that American Test Kitchen recommended is fantastic. Ive had two. But use a price watch like camelcamelcamel because I pick them up at 25 and they are currently 34.

Brad Mojo

Funkier than you.
Reaction score
I use the heck out of my Cutco shears. They can cut right through most bones. They are so tough I use them in the workshop as well as the kitchen. They can cut htrough anything.

Denzien

May contain 10% Ethanol
VIP Contributor
Reaction score

The notch comes in handy for any round objects that need cutting though, so not just for chicken. My last pair of scissors had the quick disassembly, so it was easy to ensure they were sanitized after using on raw meats.

I'll consider picking up some shears though, because I like spending money.

buzd

party lamp
Staff member
Tech-Admin
Reaction score
The notch comes in handy for any round objects that need cutting though, so not just for chicken. My last pair of scissors had the quick disassembly, so it was easy to ensure they were sanitized after using on raw meats.

I'll consider picking up some shears though, because I like spending money.
I got mine cheap at a restaurant supply store. Much cheaper than that amazon link.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Headlines

Top Bottom