Let's talk cookware (3 Viewers)

i just checked, my all-clad are mostly d5. i don't recommend higher than the d3 because the 5s heat up too forking fast.

My dad swore by Tramontina.

All I use, though, is cast iron. A couple of cast iron pieces never leave the stove.

I've got:
6.5 inch skillet
9 inch skillet
12 inch skillet
5qt deep skillet, with cover
the Pro Grid double sided griddle
square cast iron grill pan
round shallow griddle (like a crepe pan)
5 qt dutch oven
9 qt dutch oven
oblong dutch oven
round dutch oven that was my great-grandfather Arceneaux's - probably 100+ yrs old with a bottom like glass - that has a lid. Not sure of the size, but probably around 6 qts

I think that's about it. It's what I feel comfortable using though I know I should probably have some tri-ply poly-copper fancy stuff, but I just haven't been able to pull the trigger.

Stuff that gets the most work: small and large skillet, the 9 qt dutch oven, my great grandpa's dutch oven, and the griddle.

Knives - I have three that I use. Chef's, paring, and bread/serrated and that's about it.

All I use, though, is cast iron. A couple of cast iron pieces never leave the stove.

I've got:
6.5 inch skillet
9 inch skillet
12 inch skillet
5 qt dutch oven
9 qt dutch oven
oblong dutch oven
round dutch oven that was my great-grandfather Arceneaux's - probably 100+ yrs old with a bottom like glass - that has a lid. Not sure of the size, but probably around 6 qts

I think that's about it. It's what I feel comfortable using though I know I should probably have some tri-ply poly-copper fancy stuff, but I just haven't been able to pull the trigger.

Stuff that gets the most work: small and large skillet, the 9 qt dutch oven, my great grandpa's dutch oven, and the griddle.

Knives - I have three that I use. Chef's, paring, and bread/serrated and that's about it.
those knives are really all you need, especially if you can cut bone with the chef's.

those knives are really all you need, especially if you can cut bone with the chef's.
also, if you want to use usa made, cutco. lifetime of sharpening, just mail them in.

a great decently priced set, victorinox. the hardened rubber set is forking great. plus, dishwasher safe.

I've got:
6.5 inch skillet
9 inch skillet
12 inch skillet
5 qt dutch oven
9 qt dutch oven
oblong dutch oven

also, one thing i don't have is a good size ceramic glazed pot. odd, since my wife cooked like crazy (which is mostly why i have the sets i do).

also, one thing i don't have is a good size ceramic glazed pot. odd, since my wife cooked like crazy (which is mostly why i have the sets i do).

is the ceramic glaze worth it? Like the Le Creuset? Or the Lodge or Cuisinart equivalences?

We got some Le Creuset for our wedding and *never* used them, so we gave them to some friends who loved that crap.

Then I found out how much they were worth :covri:

is the ceramic glaze worth it? Like the Le Creuset? Or the Lodge or Cuisinart equivalences?

We got some Le Creuset for our wedding and *never* used them, so we gave them to some friends who loved that crap.

i like it. the smallish one i have, seems to do well with heat. then again, i've never used a non-coated. had a viking something or other aluminum, but gave it away. it sucked.

I have a Chef's knife and a Pairing knife I got as a combo from Messermeister. https://www.messermeister.com/colle...ritz-elite-chef-s-knife?variant=8535469916211

I got their San Moritz Elite, because I like the balance, the handles, and the fact that it's not a full tang, so it makes honing (and eventual sharpening) easier. The only knock on them is that it's not the most premium blade steel, and they heat treat it a bit on the softer side. However, to me, all I've noticed is that I need to hone it more often, but I'll likely never chip the blades. I'd have them for about 6-7 years.

I got a ceramic honing rod, which does a bit of sharpening as well, vs a steel rod.

I then got a cheap Ginsu serrated bread knife, that honestly also works as a roast knife. It also has a good weight to it.

I have one cheap hammered damascus petty knife, it's a bit small. I got that one for show. I also have a veggie chopping knife, but I usually stick to my chef's knife.

I know the Victorinox Fibrox series of chef's knives aren't pretty but are well made and well liked from what I hear. I just haven't used them.

If I could afford it, I'd get a Bob Kramer / Zwilling. I love his Damascus knives.

Personally, I stay away from Carbon, because I don't trust anyone in my household to treat it correctly. Stainless is difficult enough, since the stainless used for knives isn't as corrosion resistant as flat ware.

Basically, if you look at Surlatable, you're likely seeing the top brands out there.

I have a Chef's knife and a Pairing knife I got as a combo from Messermeister. https://www.messermeister.com/colle...ritz-elite-chef-s-knife?variant=8535469916211

I got their San Moritz Elite, because I like the balance, the handles, and the fact that it's not a full tang, so it makes honing (and eventual sharpening) easier. The only knock on them is that it's not the most premium blade steel, and they heat treat it a bit on the softer side. However, to me, all I've noticed is that I need to hone it more often, but I'll likely never chip the blades. I'd have them for about 6-7 years.

I got a ceramic honing rod, which does a bit of sharpening as well, vs a steel rod.

I then got a cheap Ginsu serrated bread knife, that honestly also works as a roast knife. It also has a good weight to it.

I have one cheap hammered damascus petty knife, it's a bit small. I got that one for show. I also have a veggie chopping knife, but I usually stick to my chef's knife.

I know the Victorinox Fibrox series of chef's knives aren't pretty but are well made and well liked from what I hear. I just haven't used them.

If I could afford it, I'd get a Bob Kramer / Zwilling. I love his Damascus knives.

Personally, I stay away from Carbon, because I don't trust anyone in my household to treat it correctly. Stainless is difficult enough, since the stainless used for knives isn't as corrosion resistant as flat ware.

Basically, if you look at Surlatable, you're likely seeing the top brands out there.
seriously. the san moritz collection is phenomenal. here is my set of them:

IMG_20200508_165539.jpg

Oh, and these are my steak knives. Cheap, I like the handles, I like the feel, I like the type of serrations. My kids have washed it in the dishwasher.. and they're not rusted yet.

remove the space

https://www.amazon.com /dp/B071H75LGC?SubscriptionId=AKIAJA54JMESX73IGPXQ&ascsubtag=638837701-16-&linkCode=osi&psc=1&tag=d_2b_a_o-20&th=1

I have a large oval 8 or 9 qt dutch oven that is ceramic coated. TBH, other that it being too large it's great. Nothing sticks to it and clean up is pretty easy other than the size and weight.

Kind of why I'm seriously considering the Caraway set.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom