Let's talk cookware (1 Viewer)

It's time. My pots and pans are no longer viable. The magnalite professionals have served well over the years, but the step kids ran then thru the dishwasher and now they are pitted and leaving residue.

I've scouted a few different options but most of the lesser stainless and copper sets scare me based on the reviews. Some are happy, but there's quite a few pics and testimonials that they easily warp. I'll not mention so as to not influence recommendations.

I'm not opposed to paying for quality, but I don't want to over pay for a shoddy product.

Looking at the Made-In and found Caraway which look really nice and have some bonus items like the rack and lid holder.

So what other brands do you recommend?
Tramontina makes a triple ply all-clad that's top notch and almost half the price of the professional All-Clad set. They're dishwasher-safe, induction-compatible, oven-safe up to 500F and comes with a lifetime warranty. If you ever need replacement pieces, they're widely available. In fact, the set is on sale on Amazon right now for a steal at $230. You can add a 12" skillet and come out like a bandit right now.

i have a set of cutco steak knives. they are like awesome. i have a set from my grandfather too. here is a difference in design over the years

this took way tooooo long keep the lid open.

IMG_20200508_171106.jpg

I'm digging that Miyabi... where'd you get it?
not sure. bought it a long time ago. prefer my shun. the miyabi spine (if that is what is called) is too thin for your palm. the shun has a nice wider space

Tramontina makes a triple ply all-clad that's top notch and almost half the price of the professional All-Clad set. They're dishwasher-safe, induction-compatible, oven-safe up to 500F and comes with a lifetime warranty. If you ever need replacement pieces, they're widely available. In fact, the set is on sale on Amazon right now for a steal at $230. You can add a 12" skillet and come out like a bandit right now.
I'm seeing a ton of reviews on that Amazon set saying it's from China and not the good set. IDK how to verify prior to purchase they are the real deal or I'd have pulled the trigger already I think.

seriously. the san moritz collection is phenomenal. here is my set of them:

IMG_20200508_165539.jpg

wow.... I wish....

do you like the scalloped blade?

My Chef's knife is a Global... after GhostFace's recommendation years ago. And I love it...

oh, and I did get a really good honing steel

wow.... I wish....

do you like the scalloped blade?

My Chef's knife is a Global... after GhostFace's recommendation years ago. And I love it...

oh, and I did get a really good honing steel
i do.

i wish global would make a wooden or other handle. i've used my friend's, not sure how she does it, but i sweat too much. the 'grip' isn't enough for hand to not slip. otherwise, they are fantastic.

I’ll second some recommendations:
  • America’s Test Kitchen for reviews.
  • All Clad for Teflon pans. (Worth the money)
  • Victorinox and Mercer 22608 for chef knives. (Extensively used in commercial and home kitchens, great values. Victorinox is a very good value blade. Mercer’s handle is perfect for my hand.)
  • Cheap, soft plastic cutting boards in a variety of colors over wood every day (My wooden board is a charger for my plastic boards)
  • My cheap Santoku is only used to cut cake. (Need a recommendation for a good value knife)
You can sharpen a blade daily, but the grip is forever.

I'm seeing a ton of reviews on that Amazon set saying it's from China and not the good set. IDK how to verify prior to purchase they are the real deal or I'd have pulled the trigger already I think.
Try other vendors. The one I bought as a gift from Amazon a couple years says made in Brazil. I've seen it on plenty of websites ranging from Walmart to Home Depot.

is the ceramic glaze worth it? Like the Le Creuset? Or the Lodge or Cuisinart equivalences?

We got some Le Creuset for our wedding and *never* used them, so we gave them to some friends who loved that crap.

Then I found out how much they were worth :covri:

I get paranoid about tomato based stews and sauces in cast iron. An enameled Dutch oven is my next purchase.

I’ll second some recommendations:
  • America’s Test Kitchen for reviews.
  • All Clad for Teflon pans. (Worth the money)
  • Victorinox and Mercer 22608 for chef knives. (Extensively used in commercial and home kitchens, great values. Victorinox is a very good value blade. Mercer’s handle is perfect for my hand.)
  • Cheap, soft plastic cutting boards in a variety of colors over wood every day (My wooden board is a charger for my plastic boards)
  • My cheap Santoku is only used to cut cake. (Need a recommendation for a good value knife)
You can sharpen a blade daily, but the grip is forever.
you sir, knows your knives, and other sheet.

I get paranoid about tomato based stews and sauces in cast iron. An enameled Dutch oven is my next purchase.
thanks beotch for confirmation that enamel is good. still hate your tall arse.

Try other vendors. The one I bought as a gift from Amazon a couple years says made in Brazil. I've seen it on plenty of websites ranging from Walmart to Home Depot.
So, I did some more research and it seems there are multiple versions of this set. The 80101/203DS and the 80116/249DS are the two I've found. I've no idea the difference and it seems the second one might be discontinued but it is the one linked from the Tramontina Amazon site. It's also 2x the price of the first for a used set.

• 1Like
Reactions: MLU

so last week I made pasta for the first time. It was great. Handcut linguine. Came out awesome.

Did two sauces.

A garlic butter and a tomato meatsauce. I didn't have anything else to cook in, so cast iron it was.

How badly did I eff it up?

so last week I made pasta for the first time. It was great. Handcut linguine. Came out awesome.

Did two sauces.

A garlic butter and a tomato meatsauce. I didn't have anything else to cook in, so cast iron it was.

How badly did I eff it up?
a lot.

hah i eat whatever. like i'd know.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom