Let's talk cookware (1 Viewer)

Reaction score
Sticky Post
It's time. My pots and pans are no longer viable. The magnalite professionals have served well over the years, but the step kids ran then thru the dishwasher and now they are pitted and leaving residue.

I've scouted a few different options but most of the lesser stainless and copper sets scare me based on the reviews. Some are happy, but there's quite a few pics and testimonials that they easily warp. I'll not mention so as to not influence recommendations.

I'm not opposed to paying for quality, but I don't want to over pay for a shoddy product.

Looking at the Made-In and found Caraway which look really nice and have some bonus items like the rack and lid holder.

So what other brands do you recommend?

Denzien

May contain 10% Ethanol
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
this is my cutting board:

is this a good one?

I found that one side of it works better than the other. But maybe there are better options out there?
You have to use this one in combination with the knife you posted above it

buzd

party lamp
Staff member
Tech-Admin
Reaction score
I don't have an enameled iron piece.

So I use regular old cast iron for my roux because it's the most consistent thing to heat with that I have.

Most of what I do is searing, roasting, and braising.

But what do I know... I'm just some dumb hick who almost made it to Season 1 of Masterchef: Canada :yes: (that dirty rice don't get too dirty in stainless steel)
All good uses for cast iron. I’m in the market for an enameled Dutch oven for bread, as I am currently going through a sourdough phase.

Saint_Ward

Don't be a Jerk.
Staff member
Administrator
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
So... what's a good manual can opener?

Our kitchen aid one my wife bought and liked is pretty much just spinning out now.

buzd

party lamp
Staff member
Tech-Admin
Reaction score
So... what's a good manual can opener?

Our kitchen aid one my wife bought and liked is pretty much just spinning out now.
Im not sure which model we have but google “safety smooth edge can openers”. We went through tons of cab openers, manual and electric, until we switched to these. They are amazing.

DaveXA

I love the Lord!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Im not sure which model we have but google “safety smooth edge can openers”. We went through tons of cab openers, manual and electric, until we switched to these. They are amazing.
Pretty sure you're talking about this. I've had it for 15 years or so. Still works like a champ.

15890751909176739734954184089279.jpg

Zack Lee

VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Pretty sure you're talking about this. I've had it for 15 years or so. Still works like a champ.

15890751909176739734954184089279.jpg
Ive been using one of these for probably 10 years. Works great and Way Way more sanitary. Just the thought of having a hard to clean blade going down in tuna fish again makes my stomach turn.

Oye

carry all the groceries in in one trip
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
alright, so I have 600 bucks to redeem at Hudson's Bay Company.

I was looking at the All-Clad and Le Crueset to spend some of that on.

I was thinking of mixing and matching - 2-3 pieces (if I had to spend an extra 100-200 so be it).

But then I saw this:

Screen Shot 2020-05-14 at 2.04.53 PM.png

I don't know the difference between the two - D3 vs. the Stainless Steel.

And how does the anodized fry pan - which I was also looking at - fit into the picture?

And I don't know if this is actual a good deal - keep in mind this is CDN prices. I know sometimes stores will raise the 'normal' price to make it seem like a better deal. And it's really not.

And I know that amazon.ca has them for this price, normally. But I don't have 600 bucks in Amazon gift cards

We would use all these pieces and I would not need to piece together a set.

Is it worth it? I'd be paying a couple hundred bucks for either of these sets.

Thoughts appreciated. Get all of these or mix and match with Le Crueset - which is the wiser option?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Headlines

Top Bottom