Let's talk cookware (1 Viewer)

Reaction score
Sticky Post
It's time. My pots and pans are no longer viable. The magnalite professionals have served well over the years, but the step kids ran then thru the dishwasher and now they are pitted and leaving residue.

I've scouted a few different options but most of the lesser stainless and copper sets scare me based on the reviews. Some are happy, but there's quite a few pics and testimonials that they easily warp. I'll not mention so as to not influence recommendations.

I'm not opposed to paying for quality, but I don't want to over pay for a shoddy product.

Looking at the Made-In and found Caraway which look really nice and have some bonus items like the rack and lid holder.

So what other brands do you recommend?

Saint_Ward

Don't be a Jerk.
Staff member
Administrator
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Maybe CR needs to learn how to cook? I can't imagine any difference cleaning any clad pots and pans. Food bakes on and you scrub it off?
My guess is differences in surface finish?

I will say, the reviews I see for Made In, say that the fry pan isn't perfectly flat, so, it may be fine for a gas range, but it isn't going to be great for electric (especially glass top). I'm shocked CR would ignore that.

buzd

party lamp
Staff member
Tech-Admin
Reaction score
Going to pull the trigger on this today. Half price. I really want the metal handles because I've read about a lot of handle failures at high (500ish) temps.

zeetes

yo’ robbie fordz fo lyfe
VIP Subscribing Member
Reaction score
i have been waiting on this to go on sale for what feels like forever.

i like to collect kettles. although, my all-clad is almost bronze from leaving it on the stove after passing out.

zeetes

yo’ robbie fordz fo lyfe
VIP Subscribing Member
Reaction score
i have been waiting on this to go on sale for what feels like forever.

i like to collect kettles. although, my all-clad is almost bronze from leaving it on the stove after passing out.
oh and in australia, this does not mean peace. also, when one cutting board gets dirty, throw another on top. in defense, my brother did that.

IMG_20200518_173417.jpg

Saint_Ward

Don't be a Jerk.
Staff member
Administrator
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I got myself a Tramontina 3QT Saucepan a week ago. Only used it twice so far. Cooks nice, the surface is very much non stick (just gotta turn the heat down a touch), and it cleans easy. Feels solid. The inside scratches sorta easy, and I've only used wooden, silicone, or nylon utensils.

I also got two of their professional non stick aluminum pans. They're a good heft, so I think they'll hold up from warping. However, the bottoms aren't anodized, so the aluminum scratches very easily. The non stick has been great so far. Only used it twice.For the smaller of the two pans, the rivets make it hard to cook eggs or anything, because they'll get all up in there, so cleaning that was a pain.

Bayouboy

Football Genius
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Going to pull the trigger on this today. Half price. I really want the metal handles because I've read about a lot of handle failures at high (500ish) temps.

How is it, buzd???

James Spader

Veteran Starter
Reaction score
It's time. My pots and pans are no longer viable. The magnalite professionals have served well over the years, but the step kids ran then thru the dishwasher and now they are pitted and leaving residue.

I've scouted a few different options but most of the lesser stainless and copper sets scare me based on the reviews. Some are happy, but there's quite a few pics and testimonials that they easily warp. I'll not mention so as to not influence recommendations.

I'm not opposed to paying for quality, but I don't want to over pay for a shoddy product.

Looking at the Made-In and found Caraway which look really nice and have some bonus items like the rack and lid holder.

So what other brands do you recommend?
Cast iron and that French company is really good. I have my mom’s set that Is from the French company.

buzd

party lamp
Staff member
Tech-Admin
Reaction score
How is it, buzd???
It's really nice. The lip of the pot seems to have either some chips to the enamel or a few spots of wear or inconsistent application (they really don't seem like chips). We debated sending it back and finally decided not to (it very well could have been why they were half price). Overall, it hasn't affected the performance - I've only used it to bake bread in a 500+ degree oven, but it has performed as one would expected.

I'm doing a pot of beans in it today, so we will see how it goes. So far, I am very pleased.

OP
Reaction score

zeetes

yo’ robbie fordz fo lyfe
VIP Subscribing Member
Reaction score
It's really nice. The lip of the pot seems to have either some chips to the enamel or a few spots of wear or inconsistent application (they really don't seem like chips). We debated sending it back and finally decided not to (it very well could have been why they were half price). Overall, it hasn't affected the performance - I've only used it to bake bread in a 500+ degree oven, but it has performed as one would expected.

I'm doing a pot of beans in it today, so we will see how it goes. So far, I am very pleased.
i'm a big fan of staub.

buzd

party lamp
Staff member
Tech-Admin
Reaction score
Le Creuset makes great stuff but I wouldn’t want a whole set of non stick.

egautr1

ALL-MADDEN TEAM
Reaction score
So for cookware we have been using the Calphalon non stick pans for about 10 years and they are simply fantastic. Real durable, non stick, easy to clean, and cooks really well. Also have a steamer pot that we use all the time for steaming, boiling, etc.
Highly recommend. But you can not use any metal utensils in it! It will scratch and then won't be non stick anymore.
We also have a Calphalon coffee pot that we have used for probably 8 years and still going strong. Great customer service as well, since the special metal filter cracked a year or two ago so I emailed the company asking to buy a new one and they just sent me a brand new one for free, didn't even reply to the email. Just sent it! Awesome.

I of course have several cast iron pans that we use a lot. A must for any cook.
I also have one magnalite skillet I inherited from my grandmother. Don't use it that much as it tends to stick more than the Calphalon.

I have started adding LeCruset pieces the past several years. I have a stock pot, a 8-quart and 6-quart dutch oven, and just recently bought a 12" skillet and it has been awesome. My wife has also purchased several bakeware items. They hold heat so well.
Our secret is we go to Orange Beach, AL every year and stop at the Foley Outlet Mall in Gulf Shores on our way out and pick up a new piece each year. You can save some big $ as LeCruest is very expensive. I got the skillet this spring and am loving it. Holds heat like the cast iron but has better non-stick properties. I am still getting it seasoned though. Here it is:

As for knives we are spoiled there as well. My wife worked for Cutco in college and was able to use her employee discount to purchase a knife set that we could NOT afford today. We have been adding pieces here and there when on sale. Now these knives are not cheap but they are simply fantastic! Sharpest knives I have ever used and since they have a lifetime warranty you just pay for shipping and they will sharpen all your knives for free. We send them back every couple of years and what's cool is if there is a chip or notch or something they will just send you back a brand new knife. Couldn't recommend them enough.

Denzien

May contain 10% Ethanol
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I got myself a Tramontina 3QT Saucepan a week ago. Only used it twice so far. Cooks nice, the surface is very much non stick (just gotta turn the heat down a touch), and it cleans easy. Feels solid. The inside scratches sorta easy, and I've only used wooden, silicone, or nylon utensils.

I also got two of their professional non stick aluminum pans. They're a good heft, so I think they'll hold up from warping. However, the bottoms aren't anodized, so the aluminum scratches very easily. The non stick has been great so far. Only used it twice.For the smaller of the two pans, the rivets make it hard to cook eggs or anything, because they'll get all up in there, so cleaning that was a pain.
I've taken to flipping my eggs in this pan because it's so slippery. Scrambled eggs get the silicon spatulas, though.

Oye

carry all the groceries in in one trip
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Alright, so this thread convinced me that I needed to invest more in some stainless steel. I wasn't sure what to get, but it seemed a small and medium frypan are the things we use the most. And I have a stock pot for big things. So I thought a big saucepan - and decided a 6 qt would be good. I grow a lot of tomatoes in the summer and I think this will be better in doing the sauce in this than the big stock pot.

And y'all sold me on All Clad. So I got the 8" and 10" frypans along with the 6 qt pan.

Next I want a Le Creuset enameled stock pot, and thinking the 7 1/4 round qt will get the most use. But any other suggestions are still being taken.

Screen Shot 2020-07-21 at 12.00.14 PM.png

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Headlines

Top Bottom