Let's talk cookware (1 Viewer)

For cutting boards, the answer is always wood. Soft plastic is also good. I like soft plastic for meat, because it's easier to wash. I don't like cutting raw meat on wood. That's just me. The pro's clearly do both.

Just wash by hand and use mineral oil or cooking oil to coat the wood.

The harder the material, the worse it is for your knife blade, in general, but that video shows that soft woods damage easier, so that damage can really mess up your knife. So, a hard wood is best on your kinves.

We have a small kitchen, so I can't get a big board. But it's like 14*14, I think.

I use this guy for cutting boards, has done a few for me now. He does BEAUTIFUL work

That Walnut one is beautiful. I plan on picking up another one that stays in place soon. I love the end cut boards but messed my last one up. I am just using a couple of bamboo boards now but I will keep this tagged for when I move (hopefully with the counter space)

I didn't grow up using cast iron or the first time I went to housekeeping because I was scared. But now, I totally get why it's been around. It's just so heavy.

I have a new understanding of Dutch ovens. A pretty awesome piece on that.

I have a set of Triply Calphalon stainless steel pots/pans that we got about 5 years ago. I never did properly season or care for them. They still work well, but there's areas of black that I can't seem to get off. Is it too late to try to properly maintain them? Or is there a way to renew and season them properly?

I have a set of Triply Calphalon stainless steel pots/pans that we got about 5 years ago. I never did properly season or care for them. They still work well, but there's areas of black that I can't seem to get off. Is it too late to try to properly maintain them? Or is there a way to renew and season them properly?
Screen Shot 2020-05-08 at 7.15.09 AM.png

Stainless doesn't need to be seasoned. This will get them clean.

:100: on non-chinese (thailand or brazil) tramontina stainless clad

got a set from costco 15 years ago, still going strong, used almost daily

ss bright, comfy handles, great riveting, no separations (y)(y)

costco has their own kirkland clad stuff that looks good, worth a shot

we use wüsthof and cutco knives

Bamboo boards are really pretty bad for your knives, they are too hard. You're much better picking up a cheap polyethylene board to use until you get a wooden board.

yes Im aware. But I have not invested in either a knife or sharpening in a long time. Shame too because we have a guy that comes to work but I’ve never been able to get him to tell me which day he is coming. Not a problem for the cooks but it is for those of us with our knives at home.

imo, "professional" knife sharpening is a $cam

used to have mine done, then learned how to do them myself, then figured out that good knives really don't need it

steel them every time you use them and don't cut things with them that you shouldn't

ymmv

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom