Let's talk cookware (1 Viewer)

This is nonsense. Well made cookware should be used and it should be reasonably easy to take care of with some simple steps. Otherwsie it’s not well made.
oh my god. i speak nonsense. let the gods collide.

So the enamaled cast iron is every bit as advertised. It is an absolute dream to cook with. And it cleans up so easily.

it literally hasn’t left the stovetop in the last week or so and has been used four different times.

I’ve seared chicken off before putting into the oven and making a sauce. I’ve made a thai ground pork dish. I’ve made a sort of Tex mex chili pasta dish. I’ve made a chicken thigh and mushroom gravy.

it really is pretty incredible

I don't know if the Kiwi knives were recommended here or another site, but it is a fantastic product for $10. The blade is very thin and has the same edge as my Dexter Russell filet knives. I sharpen it every two weeks on my stones and I can still shave with it. Haven't used any of my other knives since I received this one in the mail. You can't go wrong for ten bucks.

Amazon product ASIN B001FEJ0WO

Attachments

• 20200807_191638.jpg
    20200807_191638.jpg
    700.4 KB · Views: 4
So the enamaled cast iron is every bit as advertised. It is an absolute dream to cook with. And it cleans up so easily.

it literally hasn’t left the stovetop in the last week or so and has been used four different times.

I’ve seared chicken off before putting into the oven and making a sauce. I’ve made a thai ground pork dish. I’ve made a sort of Tex mex chili pasta dish. I’ve made a chicken thigh and mushroom gravy.

it really is pretty incredible

I have one and it's been sitting in the cabinet for a long while now. I'm gonna have to start using it again. We are moving to a new place this Saturday and will have to start making use of it again. I don’t know why we stopped using it.

I was kind of looking at these, but I don't think the blade has a cutout for gripping stuff like chicken bones, which has been a feature I've found myself using often.

I was also considering this pair from Ernest Wright, but I need a pair sooner than forever. I have a few scissors from these guys that are the best scissors I've ever used, but their turnaround isn't good given that they're handmade.

For chicken, I would get a dedicated pair of poultry shears.

I have something like these (not these exact ones, but it has a similar curved blade).

Amazon product ASIN B000PGG7ZQ

I got the 12in Tramontina tri clad the other day. Haven't had a chance to use it yet.

I don't know if the Kiwi knives were recommended here or another site, but it is a fantastic product for $10. The blade is very thin and has the same edge as my Dexter Russell filet knives. I sharpen it every two weeks on my stones and I can still shave with it. Haven't used any of my other knives since I received this one in the mail. You can't go wrong for ten bucks.

Amazon product ASIN B001FEJ0WO

I have not had one of that style. I may have to give it a try. I know Ive talked about this knife before but maybe on this thread but if you every just want an incredible blade in a well balanced industrial stlyle build, then this one that American Test Kitchen recommended is fantastic. Ive had two. But use a price watch like camelcamelcamel because I pick them up at 25 and they are currently 34.

Amazon product ASIN B008M5U1C2

I use the heck out of my Cutco shears. They can cut right through most bones. They are so tough I use them in the workshop as well as the kitchen. They can cut htrough anything.

The notch comes in handy for any round objects that need cutting though, so not just for chicken. My last pair of scissors had the quick disassembly, so it was easy to ensure they were sanitized after using on raw meats.

I'll consider picking up some shears though, because I like spending money.

I got mine cheap at a restaurant supply store. Much cheaper than that amazon link.

Ok, I have 3 large Magnalite pots and roaster plus about 5 different size cast iron pots and 2 skillets. What I need new are pans. Any recommendations for 2 or 3 pans?

Ok, I have 3 large Magnalite pots and roaster plus about 5 different size cast iron pots and 2 skillets. What I need new are pans. Any recommendations for 2 or 3 pans?

Allclad. The copper core is great. The old Cop'r Chef are better. I have a bunch of them and some are grandmother's handmedowns. Avoid the older Cop'r Chef copper with brass handles unless you're smart enough to remember that the handles get very hot. You can often buy them on ebay for a fraction of new, but you have to be patient. The silicon handle covers have saved me dozens of times from burning myself.

yep all-clad. i have several d5, but honestly, my cooking skills aren't exceptionally great to match the fast heat times.

i have a copper mauviel frying pan i tend to use for everything because it is a little more forgiving lol.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom