Lets talk defensive line, and some questions? (1 Viewer)

People seem to think the NT position in this front is similar to the 0tech but its not...Hicks could end up being the protypical NT in a 3-4 under. Quick Fast, Long, Stuff the run, explosive..all from the Center of the defense.

I was under the impression that a NT should be a little shorter like maybe 6-2 or 6-3 and wide as a truck so that they could get under the OLineman and hold their position.

It depends on the 3-4, 1 gap and 2 gap are not the same, and also those differ from coordinator to coordinator

It's obvious to me that Hicks should be left DE, and Jordan right. I don't think alot of people understand how dominant Hicks can be in this style of D. Rob Ryan has got to be licking his chops as long as we can get someone who can put consistent pressure on the QB.

i think personally our biggest need is a NT.....we have a stable of good DT but not a true NT

If protecting Vilma is primary then emphasizing the importance of the line position directly in front of him is paramount. I don't see Will Smith due to his age playing 1000 snaps so we will need capable depth to rotate or a bonafide upgrade. If we go with Hicks at RE Bunkley cannot handle alot of snaps at 1tech so he will need either a capable backup or a bonafide upgrade.

If protecting Vilma is primary then emphasizing the importance of the line position directly in front of him is paramount. I don't see Will Smith due to his age playing 1000 snaps so we will need capable depth to rotate or a bonafide upgrade. If we go with Hicks at RE Bunkley cannot handle alot of snaps at 1tech so he will need either a capable backup or a bonafide upgrade.

Thats why i like the idea of Bunkley/Hicks and Cam Jordan in front of Vilma. What those two don't swallow up in the run game Vilma just has to clean up.

However that means i want the 5tech on the right side and the 3tech on the left then draft richardson if he's available. Richardson and Martez could run some nasty stunts on the Strong side while JG and Vilma will be helped out in the run by Hicks and Jordan.

I really think we need an upgrade@ SS though. Lofton isn't good in coverage and u don't know if Wilson will be good in coverage. The SS rotates to the field side and well Roman is going to be in coverage.

I was under the impression that a NT should be a little shorter like maybe 6-2 or 6-3 and wide as a truck so that they could get under the OLineman and hold their position.

Exactly what I'm thinking. If you look at the top NTs, most of them are in the 6'2"-6'3" range. Hicks is listed at 6'5" and doesn't have the typical NT build. He has the perfect build for a 3-4 DE though. Imho his best fit skill and size wise is at end. I'm not a 3-4 expert and don't pretend to be but to me he has DE written all over him. Rob Ryan will know where to put him though. He'll do some damage wherever he lines up.

It still puts us in a position looking for a decent rotation or players that can play almost start to finish with no drop off in production. I agree the trio of SAM, Lofton, Harper appears grim as far as coverage. Hopefully we will be pulling players and playing more nickel with better coverage on passing downs.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom