Lets talk defensive line, and some questions? (1 Viewer)

klewis33

All-Pro
Reaction score
Thinking about the Dline especially in a 3-4 I have a few questions about each player. I understand somewhat the NT is gonna take up the blockers in run downs and I assume the same in passing downs? Do both DEs do the same thing or is there one that is more focused on getting the QB while the other takes up blockers for the rush LB?

Cam Jordan-Is he gonna play RDE or LDE and what will be his main job, taking up blockers or getting after the RB or QB?

Bunkley- I feel he is strong enough for NT but him being a tad undersized it seems like we may need to get someone else to help relieve him during the game so he won't wear down. How do ya'll feel he will do?

Hicks-if he plays DE, which side do ya'll feel he will play and what will be his main job to do? Or do ya'll feel he might rotate with Bunkley at NT? I was thinking that him on DE, are you gonna double team Hicks or Bunk? Seems Bunk can dominate a Center trying to block him alone.

Will Smith-Which DE spot will he play, will he be battling Jordan or Hicks(assuming he will be DE) for a starting spot?

Tom Johnson- I really like this guy, which DE spot will he be best at in a 3-4?

Tyrunn Walker-Seems like he would be in rotation with Hicks or maybe NT. I would think he may be on PS for another season but could start playing alot in the 14 season.

Greg Romeus-Would be nice to see him get a shot this summer. If he does make the team I'm assuming he will make it as a rush linebacker.

I understand there is a rush LB that blitzes pretty much every play although they all blitz depending on the call. Which DE do ya'll see the rush linebacker blitzing next to?

I can't see Jordan playing anything other than 5-tech LE, when he was playing inside last year as the 3-tech on obvious running downs he was getting mauled. It's essential that the right end be able to stalemate double teams on a decent basis. If teams can blow him up and the guard or center take on Vilma we are done. I'd really rather Hicks be that 3-tech but more and more it's looking like Will Smith unless we draft someone.

Seems like we would need to draft a NT to compliment Bunkley more than a DE.

IMO cam is your LDE. He is going to set the edge and try to beat his man to the backfield.

Bunkley is going to try to beat the center and split the guard to the back field. He is not going to be asked to be a wall upfront, but a penetrating NT.

Hicks is going be an anchor at RE. He is probably going to see the most double teams on the dline. If Bunkley gets hurt I think they move him to NT (as of now) and move Smith or walker to his spot.

I think Tom Johnson backs up Cam. We are pretty solid on the dline considering the change to the 3-4. It would be nice to have a legit backup to Bunkley and not have to move players around, but it could work.

Yea I agree get another NT either through FA or Draft. I think they can get a FA NT but only Loomis knows that for sure.
With a backup NT we have Jordan, Hicks, Smith, Johnson and Walker for DE. Hicks could go inside if need be.

Seems like we would need to draft a NT to compliment Bunkley more than a DE.

One guy that makes sense for us is Richardson. He could play a very similar role to Cam on the other side and make hicks your primary sub/backup for every dline spot. I do not see it happening because we have other needs right now, but the pick would make sense.

Bunkley nt, hicks LDE because of his size he will play the strong side because he can shed blocks and play the run, jordan will play RDE since he can play the run and pass in my opinion

Good questions and I'm curious to see what we do at NT. Call me crazy but I'm actually excited about Cam and Hicks in a 3-4. I think we'll be ok at DE but idk about Bunk being the guy at NT.

Bunkley nt, hicks LDE because of his size he will play the strong side because he can shed blocks and play the run, jordan will play RDE since he can play the run and pass in my opinion

I dunno...everyone knows how i feel about Hicks/Bunk Rotation @ NT

However ive seen different versions of the 3-4 under

Ive seen one where the RDE plays 5tech while the LDE plays 3 and ive also seen one where its the opposite.

So thats why u get some people saying Cam Jordan will play RDE while Hicks or whomever plays LDE or vice versa.

To sum it up don't think about it as LDE/RDE think it about it 5tech vs 3tech so if thats the case Jordan is probably penciled in as your 5tech and Hicks could play the 3. I think our 3 isn't solidified yet on the roster as i think Bunk/Hicks will man the 1 in the base.

Jesse Williams will be there at 15.

Too high. Though I'm feeling stronger about the idea of trading down. Obviously we have a number of positions that still need to be addressed. I wonder at what position that UDFA that typically makes the team is gonna come from this year.

I dunno...everyone knows how i feel about Hicks/Bunk Rotation @ NT

However ive seen different versions of the 3-4 under

Ive seen one where the RDE plays 5tech while the LDE plays 3 and ive also seen one where its the opposite.

So thats why u get some people saying Cam Jordan will play RDE while Hicks or whomever plays LDE or vice versa.

To sum it up don't think about it as LDE/RDE think it about it 5tech vs 3tech so if thats the case Jordan is probably penciled in as your 5tech and Hicks could play the 3. I think our 3 isn't solidified yet on the roster as i think Bunk/Hicks will man the 1 in the base.

You don't think it would be waste of Hicks' skill set to put him at NT playing a 1 or 0 tech? I want him at DE to wreak havoc, clogging running lanes, and maybe knocking down a few passes

You don't think it would be waste of Hicks' skill set to put him at NT playing a 1 or 0 tech? I want him at DE to wreak havoc, clogging running lanes, and maybe knocking down a few passes

No our base D will be an under meaning he won't play much 0 tech unless its in sub packages. The 1 tech in the 3-4 under has no more responsibility to stopping the run than anyone else on the field.

So he can be just as disruptive from the inside.

We may see some odd fronts where u have the 5tech -0 tech 5tech but i don't think thats going to be the case very much.

People seem to think the NT position in this front is similar to the 0tech but its not...Hicks could end up being the protypical NT in a 3-4 under. Quick Fast, Long, Stuff the run, explosive..all from the Center of the defense.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom