Let's talk knives (1 Viewer)

Bayouboy

Football Genius
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I do a lot of our cooking. I'm always cutting veggies, chicken, meats, etc. Looking for recommendations on a good knife set......not a block of knives (I have a Chicago Cutlery block that is decent). I'm looking for 2-3 really good knives. I'm not looking to spend a grand, but I am willing to part with a few hundid. This forum has always been money with my questions. I know a few of you can give me some good info.

Also, if you guys do have really good knives, how do you sharpen them. Stones? Electric? Professionally? I currently use a cheapo from amazon....it does a good job, but takes away a decent amount of metal each sharpening. It does not last very long, either. Definitely not something to use on good, quality knives.

The knife rabbit hole runs very deep. First off, you’re right to just look for two to three knives, that’s all you need. Second, what ever you get, the only way to sharpen is with stones, whether freehand, or a guided system. Any other way wold be a great disservice to a good kitchen knife. Third, do you want reactive, or non reactive knives? There are a couple of good knife forums that I follow if you’re interested.

I forgot to mention, if you’re local to New Orleans area, Coutelier NOLA is on Oak street. Nice young couple with a great knife shop.

Global. I was recommended this brand by @GhostFace years ago (and he knows his way around a professional kitchen) and it's been amazing. I use it every day - I got the Chef's knife 8 in. And it's amazing.

I have that Global chef's knife and paring knife, a Zwilling/Henckels paring knife, a Wusthof bread knife, a Henckels boning knife (that I hardly use since moving up here) and those are the ones I use the most. My wife has a Cuisinart with a Granton edge, which I don't like, but she prefers.

The next one on my list is the Global 10" Asian knife. And I've enjoyed using my dad's Global with the bird beak peeler.

I have a knife block we were given as a gift and I hardly pull anything from it - the ones I've gotten over the years I just like.

I would not sharpen them at home - I get it sharpened once a year professionally. In between sharpenings, I use a honing blade. I've used diamond and ceramic, and find myself reaching for the ceramic each time over the diamond. I wouldn't get stainless steel, personally. And I also wouldn't use an at home sharpener - because I don't trust myself that much with being able to sharpen it effectively. I've sharpened at home before, but after getting it done professionally - I leave the sharpening to the pros.

Good kitchen knives are generally made of carbon steel, which will rust, (reactive), or some type of stainless, which won’t, (non reactive). The only real advantage in stainless is that it won’t rust. Carbon knives, there are many varieties, are generally thinner, will get sharper, and hold that edge longer.

Another note, if you get into this, a good cutting board is as equally important because generally, most dulling occurs because of the cutting surface, not what you’re actually cutting.

Good kitchen knives are generally made of carbon steel, which will rust, (reactive), or some type of stainless, which won’t, (non reactive). The only real advantage in stainless is that it won’t rust. Carbon knives, there are many varieties, are generally thinner, will get sharper, and hold that edge longer.

Another note, if you get into this, a good cutting board is as equally important because generally, most dulling occurs because of the cutting surface, not what you’re actually cutting.

Ok, makes sense. What cutting boards are recommended? I currently use quarter to half inch semi-soft plastic. I dedicate one to chicken due to bacteria concerns. I assume this is not preferred....right?

Ok, makes sense. What cutting boards are recommended? I currently use quarter to half inch semi-soft plastic. I dedicate one to chicken due to bacteria concerns. I assume this is not preferred....right?

I have a couple of plastic ones, in different sizes. I have a bamboo. And I have a hardwood. Personally, I'd never use glass. But the other ones I use regularly, depending on the size or whatever is clean. The wood takes a bit more care, but it's durable.

Bamboo is actually very hard, and the glues used are not that great for sanitary purposes. Any end grain wood board is fine.

After breifly checking out a knife website baron8 suggested, I've come to realize I'm totally uninformed on knives. Looks like there are 100's of options!

In addition to brand, my next question would be which kind of knife should I invest in. I cut a ton of vegetables (primarily onions and peppers) and I cut a lot of chicken for stir fry (we eat that a lot). Additionally, I often cut up boston butt pork.....which would likely be a different type blade. With that said, can you experts recommend a pair of knives that would suit my needs best? Gyuto seems to be preferred as all round - right?

Thanks in advance for the advice. Looks like I've stumbled upon a very diverse subject with lots of options.

The single most common Japanese kitchen knife is a 240mm gyuto. Start with that and you can’t go wrong.

For many years, I used a set of Kyocera ceramic knives. They would keep their edge well longer than steel. Just had to be careful not to drop them on a hard surface (tiled kitchen floor) or they could/would chip and possibly break. I eventually gave them to my daughter when she really started getting into cooking.

I now have a set of Wusthof knives that I have been very pleased with.

As others have mentioned, use a steel or stone sparingly, just to clean up any nicks or burrs and plan to have any decent knives sharpened by a pro at least once per year.

(I will refrain from making any inflammatory OJ Simpson references in this thread)

As others have mentioned, use a steel or stone sparingly, just to clean up any nicks or burrs and plan to have any decent knives sharpened by a pro at least once per year.

I hone pretty regularly and it's safe to do - in fact, it's something you should do in order to keep the knife cutting well and cleanly

Pro sharpening once a year is ideal... though I'm long overdue :covri:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom