Saints Let's talk some about Dez Bryant in 2019 (1 Viewer)

ndcc

Saints' fan 4ever
VIP Contributor
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Sooooooo glad to be back in New Orleans!!!!!
Sticky Post
I'm still in a funk about the RefGate saga... but I want to feel better by focusing on other things.

IIRC, Dez' injury was similar to the one Okafor had. Okafor came back strong in 2018.

Dez has already gone on record that he'd like to return to the Saints in 2019. The way the locker room embraced him was great!

With CGM and a healthy Dez (even though he's older) should bode well for the Black and Gold.

:gosaints:

dutar76

3rd Year Pro
Reaction score
I'm all for bringing him in and letting him compete for a job. That goes for pretty much any WR. The best man wins the job and our offense is that much more dangerous. The NFL is a developmental league and the old cats are constantly having to defend their job from younger, spriter, competition.

RKNSaint

Contrarian
Reaction score
That’s a tough injury to rebound from. And youth is not on his side. I would give him about a 20% chance of returning to the the game. Less than that for making the Saints.

NeedforSnead

Rookie
Reaction score
Dez Bryant is 30 years old and had already lost a step prior to injury. He never developed polished route running skills and Id hate to see us waste red down plays with failed fade routes. Okafor was okay prior and disnt have the same milage while being 3 years younger.

Nothing will come out of dez, kirkwood and TQS are the two that meed to step up.

greg8710

All-Pro
Reaction score
I would love to see Dez come back to the Saints on another one year incentive ladened contract. We would have one heck of a WR corps with Thomas, Dez, Ginn, Smith, Kirkwood and Meredith.
I think Meredith will surprise some people. I only remember him really playing one game. If memory serves me right, he did pretty good. I'm sure the injury was bothering him and his timing with Drew wasn't 100% and still showed up. I'm pulling for the guy.

JackT.

was Jake from State Farm
Reaction score
we still need to sign another vet receiver this offseason. if Dez can get open on the intermediate routes and catch the ball I believe there is a spot on the team for him. He will also bring a bit of attitude and toughness.

Reaction score
If Dez is healthy I would like to see him have the opportunity to compete on our team. I don’t know enough about Meredith to know if he is going to be good here or not. Dez certainly has the measurable of a prototype WR. It would be nice if between Meredith and Bryant we don’t have to draft a WR but I think we would still need a real deep threat. Which brings up a question. How much of our inability to go deep is about Drew or about not having a speedster who can get open? I would dare to say that we had the least amount of deep throws in the league. I’m talking about attempts to throw deep not short or intermediate passes that were made long.

Trey W.

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score
I don’t know what he will cost but De’Anthony Thomas (KC) is a FA. Could be another deep threat and Ginn replacement when he’s done.

OP
OP
ndcc

ndcc

Saints' fan 4ever
VIP Contributor
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Sooooooo glad to be back in New Orleans!!!!!
If Dez is healthy I would like to see him have the opportunity to compete on our team. I don’t know enough about Meredith to know if he is going to be good here or not. Dez certainly has the measurable of a prototype WR. It would be nice if between Meredith and Bryant we don’t have to draft a WR but I think we would still need a real deep threat. Which brings up a question. How much of our inability to go deep is about Drew or about not having a speedster who can get open? I would dare to say that we had the least amount of deep throws in the league. I’m talking about attempts to throw deep not short or intermediate passes that were made long.
My hope is for both Dez AND Meredith to be at 100% (...can't fault a guy for hoping for that).

Mike Thomas' contract will be nine figures, so there's no telling how things will shake out.

:gosaints:

Dago

Veteran
Reaction score
no team in the NFL is going to sign Dez before the season starts and even then it wasn't like teams were knocking down his door last year when he was healthy

he knows that he isn't going to a be a primary, so the only thing to add to his legacy is a ring. It shouldn't be hard to get him to sign for little to no guaranteed money on a cheap deal if he really wants to play

dutar76

3rd Year Pro
Reaction score
Your name wont get you a roster spot on our team. Just like being drafted vs being undrafted. Theres only a few jobs available in new Orleans and you'll have to beat out some pretty good players to win those spots.

That being said, I'm totally cool with Dez coming in and competing. I'm not sold that he will be healthy enough or have enough left in the tank to win a role on our team. He might be able to overtake Carr and even Kirkwood, but I believe both of those guys play special teams. That matters when your deep depth.

Same goes for Meredith. He'll have to win a job, and win it big time for what he'll cost us to keep him. I think this is the year that we will be players in the WR (and TE) free agent markets. So not only will they have to win over other guys currently on the roster, theyll have to beat out whoever else we bring in.

kizzy821

#1 BandWagon Fan
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
All it would take is for him to have one or two good games and he would start flapping his lips, critiquing the rest of the team and inserting himself into situations he shouldn't. That's what he did in Dallas and people don't change. He was selling his Saints t-shirts before he even played a single down. Spin it into "enthusiasm" or whatever you'd like, that's just weird. He does too much of what you don't need him to do and not enough of what you expect him to do.

He might come off somewhat "humble" now because no one wanted him. But let him have a couple of good games. You think he's going to put his head down and keep playing hard? I don't.

He's going to get cocky. Talking and tweeting a little too much. Providing unnecessary commentary in locker room interviews. It's his MO. People don't change. Plus he was groomed in Dallas. So all he knows how to do is run his mouth and be kinda good some of the time, while talking about how good he used to be, when he was never that great to begin with.

Those types of players do not fit well on this team. But we always have to learn the hard way. Stubbornness or wishful thinking at the top, I suppose. It's to be expected. People don't change.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)