Lewis Back to Most Feared Status. (1 Viewer)

OneSaintsFan

Want to Be in that Number
Reaction score
After hearing all the talk preseason and even recently about how Mike was washed up, lost a step, or gonna get cut, it was nice to see Pittsburg paying homage to the Beerman by not kicking it to him, just like the old days. I haven't seen that sort of respect given to any other return man this year (but then again, I don't pay attention to other teams).

And in case you missed it, Mike saved the first kickoff from going for a TD in typical fashion.

I think it's safe to go ahead and put the crow in the oven for all who doubted.

If Payton can get over his love affair with Copper, Mike is a heck of a receiver as well. If nothing else, I'd love to see what the O would look like with Mike in the lineup for a possession or two.

i have to admit, i doubted....i really thought our blocking on kick returns was so bad that it did not matter.....i forgot that beerman knows how to make it work....can i have some tabasco on that crow??

/standingcorrected

Lewis has a good first step and does a nice job of getting in behind, but not too close behind, his wedge on the kickoffs. He gets to about 3/4 speed behind them until he sees a hole, and then he tries to shoot through it; he's essentially a one-move KR, but it's a helluva move. He's also got sound technique at covering up the ball. Frankly, I'd prefer to see him in on PR as well, but I guess Coach isn't forgiving that Bucs game muff any time soon.

i can say that i was only referring to kickoff returns.....

Lewis has a good first step and does a nice job of getting in behind, but not too close behind, his wedge on the kickoffs. He gets to about 3/4 speed behind them until he sees a hole, and then he tries to shoot through it; he's essentially a one-move KR, but it's a helluva move. He's also got sound technique at covering up the ball. Frankly, I'd prefer to see him in on PR as well, but I guess Coach isn't forgiving that Bucs game muff any time soon.

I like the mix-em-ups as to who returns the punts. And I would like to see Mike and Reggie both back to receive punts like we saw in the Baltimore game - I suspect it's kinda nuts but the novelty is appealing and it at least mixes things up even more for the coverage team.

I was one who doubted Lewis' return. I will gladly say that I was wrong. However, i was correct about him being a wr. It's not going to happen. Last week we came out with 5 wr Many times. They were
colston
copper
henderson
bush
stecker

that was our 5wr set. If he can't beat out stecker, he apparently can not play wr.

If Payton can get over his love affair with Copper, Mike is a heckuva receiver
Copper was getting open. The time to develop young players is now.. He can only get better with experience, just as Bush. Lewis gets jammed at the line, and can't really block for others after they make a catch. What happened to all the folks who declared they would defer to Payton's eye for talent?

Last edited:
???????????????????????????????????????????????

He also made a nice play knocking the ball back off Weatherford's punt to have only some knuckle head, who celebrated to soon and dropped it for a touchback. "M- LEW" is awesome, just wait until Payton puts him in as a receiver it will probably be a four receiver set, with him and Horn on the outside w/ Devery and Colston in the "Slot", w/ Bush in the backfield, that is some serious speed, I do not think one team could cover us, I think that our offense is the most dangerous in the league w/ still alot of room to grow. i.e. Colston, Bush, Evans, Strief all still learning. And while my verbal diahhrea continues , I think that this will go down as the best saints draft ever, I believe when next season starts you will have 7 starters from this years draft, that's incredible and probably impossible to replicate, not saying that are drafts in the future will not be good, but chances are "Not Likely".

Bush- younger L.T.
Colston- Jerry Rice w/6-4, 230 pound frame
Evans- Solid for years to come
Strief- Future right tackle(Sorry Stinch)
Ninkovinch- "New" outside linebacker
Harper- Captain of the Secondary

I was one who doubted Lewis' return. I will gladly say that I was wrong. However, i was correct about him being a wr. It's not going to happen. Last week we came out with 5 wr Many times. They were
colston
copper
henderson
bush
stecker

that was our 5wr set. If he can't beat out stecker, he apparently can not play wr.

Not so sure about that yet, Jake. He's only been able to practice with the team a couple of weeks now, and if he's having to learn a new coaching staff's O, plus get the reps, he simply may not be ready to contribute in that aspect of the game right now, or at least in the coach's eyes.

If he's spent the last few weeks focussing on special teams again (gunner, kick offs and punt returns - it's still a new system that he had not been able to get reps with until a couple of weeks ago), that probably left little time to learn and get the reps on O.

Remember: Coach Payton kept Joe out of this game, not so much for the injury this week, but more so because he didn't get the reps in practice last week.

Copper was getting open. The time to develop young players is now.. He can only get better with experience, just as Bush. Lewis gets jammed at the line, and can't really block for others after they make a catch. What happened to all the folks who declared they would defer to Payton's eye for talent?

:plus-un2:
No joke. It's a little early to start bashing Payton for being in love with certain players. He's mid-way through his first season.

Beerman is being under utilized.

Let him get a little taste of the action.If Henderson can catch 3 passes every 4 games I'm sure beerman can do that much.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom