Liam Neeson admits he wanted to kill after friend was raped (1 Viewer)

Wait a minute, wait a minute. Doesn't "random" like literally mean "any"? How are you seeing a difference? It seems that the only prerequisite would be the color of the person's skin. Fat , skinny, tall, short ....no matter as long as they were black. It is EXACTLY the same as putting literally any black man in that group. You may want to revisit the definition of random and any. They mean the same thing.
I think you may want to revisit reading entire sentences. It's not the difference between "any black man" and "random black man", it's the difference between "any black man" and "random black man who'd approach him and have a go at him", as I said.

Unless you think "black man who'd approach him and have a go at him" is the same as "any black man", they're very different things. And if you did think they were the same, you'd be saying all black men approach people and have a go at them, and I don't think so.

I think you may want to revisit reading entire sentences. It's not the difference between "any black man" and "random black man", it's the difference between "any black man" and "random black man who'd approach him and have a go at him", as I said.

Unless you think "black man who'd approach him and have a go at him" is the same as "any black man", they're very different things. And if you did think they were the same, you'd be saying all black men approach people and have a go at them, and I don't think so.
Not really a big enough difference to bother with the nuance
The context is clear enough

Not really a big enough difference to bother with the nuance
The context is clear enough
Hey, I thought it was clear, but apparently it isn't.

It's a significant difference. For starters, it's the difference between Neeson having actually attacked someone and not; it wouldn't have been hard for him to find literally any black man. But he wasn't looking for any black man. He was looking for one who would have a go at him, one who in his warped view he could conflate with the rapist and who deserved to be attacked.

He was essentially going out as a vigilante for a week and a half, specifically looking for black male targets. That is undeniably bad. It is not the same as being a serial killer who goes out looking for black male victims. Those are very different.

thank you
you reminded me of a (tangential) story from grad school - -i was heading to a corridor and was going through double doors (no glass) that swung away from me -- on the other side a kid (maybe 4) had gotten too close to the door and got hit when i opened it. the mom immediately dropped and comforted the kid. the dad bowed up like he wanted to hit me, even though he knew it wasn't my fault
i think about that dad from time to time when i or other men get this wave of misplaced or impotent rage/anger
comfort first, fix second

I would think that most men have rage when impotent

I was with you on on how men react, but I have to disagree when you mentioned feelings. I would be outraged and I think many women would have those feelings too. I concede a woman's expression of that rage would typically be much more subdued. From what I've read he realized it was horrible to have those thoughts. To focus his anger on all black men was disturbing though.

Edit: I'll confess that I misread your post the first time. We are basically saying the same thing.
I opened this to respond before I read your edit. Yeah, I get the reaction and that it makes you feel you need to DO something. And, look, it's not like women don't have that feeling, too (and it may not be THAT much more subdued). We do. That's why I say, guys, look, WE got this.

Now, if we're talking about your daughter like in guido's story but it was a crime and it was intentional, go rip THAT dude in half. But ... to bring it back around .. make sure it's THAT dude, not one in effigy. That's what makes it toxic, that to make YOU feel better, you're gonna look for a substitute. That's a lose-lose deal.

giphy.gif
This needs to be done with the refs from the NFCCG.

Wait a minute, wait a minute. Doesn't "random" like literally mean "any"? How are you seeing a difference? It seems that the only prerequisite would be the color of the person's skin. Fat , skinny, tall, short ....no matter as long as they were black. It is EXACTLY the same as putting literally any black man in that group. You may want to revisit the definition of random and any. They mean the same thing.
Well, it's certainly random profiling.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom