Lightning damage to vehicles (1 Viewer)

krushing

SR is my life!
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
My new Denali 3/4 ton truck and the Wife's Lexus were both hit by lightning at the same time under our shed. Both had major damage but insurance company is attempting to fix both. My truck has over 10K in damage just to sensors. Both have been in the shop over 3 weeks. Has anyone had experience with a vehicle after it was repaired due to lightening strike?

My uncle had a new 1998 Ford F-150 that got struck by lightning while he was driving and it stalled the truck and all of the electrical went screwy. He had it repaired and it ran fine afterwards, but there wasn't a lot of the electrical stuff on his truck compared to newer cars. It was in the shop a few days and back on the road with no issues. Good luck.

Sorry, I only drive cheap Nissan with no electronics.

I honestly thought vehicles were ok when struck by lightning.

But any electronics that are damaged would show up immediately I would think. I doubt you would have lingering electrical issues. Either it was zapped or it was not.

Your insurance company will need to replace the complete wiring harness. Very labor intensive, but the only way to get all the bugs out, and even then some of the charge may have gone through the body.

Good luck!!

I'd recommend picking the cars up from the body shop when they're done, driving straight to the car dealership, and trading them in on two new cars. Don't mention a word about lightning.

Your insurance company will need to replace the complete wiring harness. Very labor intensive, but the only way to get all the bugs out, and even then some of the charge may have gone through the body.

Good luck!!

they are replacing all wiring harnesses on the truck. Not sure about the Lexus yet.

I'd recommend picking the cars up from the body shop when they're done, driving straight to the car dealership, and trading them in on two new cars. Don't mention a word about lightning.

you are not the first person to give me that advise.

I honestly thought vehicles were ok when struck by lightning.

But any electronics that are damaged would show up immediately I would think. I doubt you would have lingering electrical issues. Either it was zapped or it was not.

It took out every sensor redio, and destroyed wiring harnesses. . Hit a board one foot behind the truck and turned it to charcoal. I will post pic later. It burned a house down the street down a couple weeks before.
I've lived there y whole life and this is the first summer we kept getting popped.

Sorry, I only drive cheap Nissan with no electronics.

We have an old GMC truck and an old Buick. Both are perfect as is the tractor and John Deere gator. It only devastated the new ones. I'm driving my 17 year old GMC now. Sure am glad I kept it otherwise, I'd be driving the tractor to work.

Yeah, but if it's new, then he's underneath in payments (or just lost value if paid cash).

The insurance cost it out and decided that these repairs were the cheaper way to make you whole. If it doesn't run well, or they can't fix it, they have to keep trying, or consider just totaling the car. But, I've never had my car hit by lightening. Man, that sucks.

Yeah, but if it's new, then he's underneath in payments (or just lost value if paid cash).

The insurance cost it out and decided that these repairs were the cheaper way to make you whole. If it doesn't run well, or they can't fix it, they have to keep trying, or consider just totaling the car. But, I've never had my car hit by lightening. Man, that sucks.

It's worse in a way. Both were paid off when they left the lot. I didn't buy a new truck for 17 years. I don't buy one until I can pay cash at for it. I repainted my old one along the way and kept driving it. I still have it. Driving it now.

205c25e43a6f9e5d9966737ac78a9bf8.jpg

daf161c8de24d91a2a249e8260dab993.jpg
93d4665be1a3945c4298cfe7f80320c2.jpg

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom