Like Sean Payton, Saints fans won’t forget but will move on (1 Viewer)

• Admin
By Letters to the Editor, NOLA.com | The Times-Picayune

While 8-year-old Roger Goodell likely was fast asleep at 3 a.m. on March 8, 1967, Basile Funti, a 25-year-old waiter at Brennan’s restaurant, was lined up in the shivering cold to buy tickets for the very first season of the New Orleans Saints football team. Funti was a French immigrant of Greek descent, but he loved football and all things American.

Roger Goodell grew up, went to college, and eventually became commissioner of the National Football League. Basile Funti rose up through the ranks of the New Orleans hospitality industry and after turning down an offer to be executive banquet manager of the new Convention Center, he decided to go into business for himself

When I married Basile Funti in 1991, I quickly realized that I had married the Saints as well. At that point, my husband had only missed one game in 26 years! Our Sunday activities and out of town trips now had to be carefully negotiated. He had remained a dedicated Saints fan through good times and bad, and soon I became one, too. ...

Full Story - NOLA.com

Andrus Whitewing

Andrus Whitewing

Admin

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom