Lindy's (1 Viewer)

Changeling

All-Pro
Reaction score
I know these magazines are silly, but I always (with the exception of last year my BOYCOTT THE NFL BECAUSE GOODELL IS AN *** ****) pick up one of the Lindy's pro mags.
They rank the Saints D really low (wow, what kind of reason could they have for that?) but still think the Saints will edge the Failclowns for the division title.
Of course their opinions are meaningless, but I do like having a copy of all the TC rosters and using the mag to get a good preview of the Saints upcoming opponents.
Lindy's also gave one of the lowest scores I have ever seen from them (a 5 out of 10) to Bears' new coach Marc Trestman. I wonder if they were being generous?

It's pretty hard to rank a defense that last year ranked worst in NFL history very high (even with all of the changes) until we see them play. That being said, my objective opinion is that they will go from the worst in history to the best in history!

PoET5f3.gif

I'm shocked they picked them to win the division, to be honest. Even after the Super Bowl win and the seasons that followed, it seemed like the majority of those mags always picked the Falcons to win the division.

Any rankings pre-training camp is useless. But it does make for good water cooler discussions. I do however understand why they rank our defense low... let's just see how everything plays out.

I'd be interested to see where they predicted Denver's defense this time last year. They finished 2nd (behind Pittsburgh... not San Fran) in defense.

Any rankings pre-training camp is useless. But it does make for good water cooler discussions. I do however understand why they rank our defense low... let's just see how everything plays out.

I'd be interested to see where they predicted Denver's defense this time last year. They finished 2nd (behind Pittsburgh... not San Fran) in defense.

No idea. First year in probably twenty I didn't buy a mag.

I know these magazines are silly, but I always (with the exception of last year my BOYCOTT THE NFL BECAUSE GOODELL IS AN *** ****) pick up one of the Lindy's pro mags.
They rank the Saints D really low (wow, what kind of reason could they have for that?) but still think the Saints will edge the Failclowns for the division title.
Of course their opinions are meaningless, but I do like having a copy of all the TC rosters and using the mag to get a good preview of the Saints upcoming opponents.
Lindy's also gave one of the lowest scores I have ever seen from them (a 5 out of 10) to Bears' new coach Marc Trestman. I wonder if they were being generous?

Where did you find it..I'm in LaPlace and no store has it

Lindy's can be found at the bookstore chains and any major newstands (the few that still exist).

In the next two weeks, the other pro football preview magazines will be coming out, though my favorites are Lindy's and Sporting News (Phil Steele also puts out later a pro football preview, but the type size is too small for me). What I like about Lindy's is its listing for every player of how he came into the league (for example, year drafted, team that drafted him and round) and onto the roster of his current team. One can get a quick sense of how each team has been built.

The few things that caught my eye when quickly looking at Lindy's:

--The Saints are picked to edge Atlanta in the NFC South.

--Our unit rankings are defense are terrible. Perhaps this should not be a surprise given our performance on defense last year, but I find that all of the preview magazines fight the last war and place too little emphasis on how coaching and personnel changes might affect unit and team performance.

--I am doing this from memory, but I believe that Mike Smith and the Atlanta coaching staff received a slightly higher grade than Payton and our coaching staff (8.5 and 8.0 respectively).

--At quarterback, we received a 9.0, but a few teams (Green Bay, New England and Denver) received a 9.5. My feelings about Peyton Manning being a tad overrated have been previously stated. But I would like to have seen how Manning would have done last season had he and Brees traded places.

--We received a good grade for our offensive line (again, from memory, I think it was a 7.0), and I think we have too many question marks in the offensive line for that unit to receive a higher grade than our defensive line (6.0).

I love these magazines. Until I recently removed, I had a least one magazine dating back to 1997! They are, hands down, my favorite bathroom reading material.

Lindy's can be found at the bookstore chains and any major newstands (the few that still exist).

In the next two weeks, the other pro football preview magazines will be coming out, though my favorites are Lindy's and Sporting News (Phil Steele also puts out later a pro football preview, but the type size is too small for me). What I like about Lindy's is its listing for every player of how he came into the league (for example, year drafted, team that drafted him and round) and onto the roster of his current team. One can get a quick sense of how each team has been built.

--Our unit rankings are defense are terrible. Perhaps this should not be a surprise given our performance on defense last year, but I find that all of the preview magazines fight the last war and place too little emphasis on how coaching and personnel changes might affect unit and team performance.

--I am doing this from memory, but I believe that Mike Smith and the Atlanta coaching staff received a slightly higher grade than Payton and our coaching staff (8.5 and 8.0 respectively).

--At quarterback, we received a 9.0, but a few teams (Green Bay, New England and Denver) received a 9.5. My feelings about Peyton Manning being a tad overrated have been previously stated. But I would like to have seen how Manning would have done last season had he and Brees traded places.

--We received a good grade for our offensive line (again, from memory, I think it was a 7.0), and I think we have too many question marks in the offensive line for that unit to receive a higher grade than our defensive line (6.0).

Can't find Lindy's anywhere...may have to order it..I have Sporting News which is real good and Athlon...Phil Steele is not doing a magazine this year but will have it available via Ipad, etc I heard.

You are in your sixties now, and I've been reading your posts on this board since you were in your forties and I was in my twenties.

Good lord.

Barnes and Nobles in Metairie has them all I think. Has Lindy's, Sporting News (very good), and Pro Football Weekly (yes, the preview mag still exists). I really like the look/feel of Sporting News, but for my money, I think PFW is the best value: best set-up, detail (VERY full rosters),etc. I have never cared for Athlon's. I think Wal-Mart has them all,too., inc Athlon's for sure which is really for the less serious fan. Phil Steele's to me seems all about betting and not football. I agree,too, the font is too damn small.
PS I know from personal experience if it matters, that Bobby uses either PFW or Sporting News. He'll probably be reading them to us on the air soon, like he does the Saints media game notes each week in the season.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom