Linebackers (1 Viewer)

couldn't you have just asked this question in the title?

If we make this switch to a 3-4 then yes. Also someone said Tez would be a good SIB in a 3-4 and he seems like he has the Pass rush ability to go ape at OLB demarcus ware position.

I think he's back next year. Last year was a down year for him, but this season he was riddled with a knee injury. All things being equal, he's hands down the best linebacker we have. The Saints have to surround him with talent as well. We've tried to make due with some kind of "linebacker by committee" program that simply isn't effective.

I for one have not been impressed with Vilma's play over the past two seasons. I feel he has regressed in the Blitz happy scheme of GW.

I for one have not been impressed with Vilma's play over the past two seasons. I feel he has regressed in the Blitz happy scheme of GW.

most of this season had a lot to do with injuries but 105 tackles and 4 sacks last season disagree that hes regressing

54 tackles in 11 games is still almost 5 tackles a game

not too shabby

Let's see how a does in a season where he doesn't need surgery before we make an evaluation

Really??? Yes, this year was a bad year for Vilma. However, last year he put up some good numbers:

105 tackles (71 solo), 4 sacks, 3 pass defensed, 1 int, and 3 forced fumbles!
That is pretty good to me. We ask Vilma to DO A LOT. Of the front 7, he is head and shoulders above the rest. If we gave him some real help on the front 7, I believe that he can still play at an elite level.

My preference would be that we move him to SLB in a 4-3 scheme, but if he is incapable or unwilling to play that position then I would say that I hope he goes. He is not a difference maker in the middle. He gets caught up in trash way too easily and has trouble shedding blocks once he is engaged. He is simply not athletic nor physical enough to shut down the run from the inside. He does have decent pass-coverage skills which makes me hopeful that he could move outside and still be "captain of the defense".

To put it simply, as a MLB: He is not good enough to anchor an elite rushing defense, but good enough that you don't feel pressed to replace him. Not a good place to be.

Yes I would love to see vilma at SLB. I always thought he would be great at OLB and Dunbar in the middle.

I would like to see how he bounces back from his injury before we cut him loose. But we need to be aggressive for a backup plan.

No. He was just re-signed two years ago to a nice contract. He's still a good LBer when healthy.

Even if we go to the 3-4, he'll be fine.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom