Lineup questions going into the season (1 Viewer)

WhoDat_SB44

Pimpin' Ain't Breesy!
Reaction score
Who will be the 3rd receiver?

Will it be Tre’Quan Smith or Deonte Harris? I think we will see both in at the 3rd WR with Tre’Quan likely getting the more snaps. I think Harris will be on the field on offense whole lot more than in his rookie season. We will also see Taysom Hill getting a ton of snaps as the 3rd receiver as well.

Who will be at guard and center?

I would think Erik McCoy would stay at center to start the year with Cesar Ruiz at right guard since we didn’t get a regular offseason. I think Ruiz will be the long term center with McCoy at right guard though.

Who and where will the linebackers lineup?

DeMario Davis is the only lock at WILL, but IMO he may even better at MIKE. I think Alex Anzalone will start out at MIKE. Will the rookie Zach Baun start at SAM to begin the year? I sure hope so and it’s not like he will be out there a ton with more DBs being more of the base defense nowadays. I hope we see Baun in a sub package as strictly as pass rusher too. I don’t see Craig Robertson, Kaden Elliss, or Chase Hansen starting for sure and Kiko Alonso’s on PUP. Unless Chase Hansen is a beast and he starts at WILL with Davis at MIKE. Who knows? I still can’t believe we cut Nigel Bradham loose as I thought he would start at SAM. Kiko Alonso will likely be the starting SAM when he comes back while also splitting time at MIKE with Anzalone IMO.

Who will be the nickel corner? Will PJ Williams man that spot or will CGJ be the main guy on most snaps?

I hope we see CGJ playing that slot corner spot the most cause he’s uber talented and we don’t have much depth at corner after PJ. I would rather have PJ play the dime spot.

I think most of the other spots are locked up besides maybe punter which is crazy. I can’t believe we kept two, but I’m guessing Gillikin is a beast and Morestead is on his last legs.

The Saints aren’t a 1,2,3 WR team... or a MLB, OLB, ect...

They are a “package” based team. In some packages, Michael Thomas is the slot WR... sometimes it’s Taysom Hill.. and so on...

There’s a shot that (on the first offensive play from scrimmage) Alvin Kamara is lined up out wide at WR, with Jared Cook in the slot, and Josh Hill at TE... CGM at the other WR and Latavius Murray at RB.

That’s the beauty of a CSP offense.

They are a “package” based team. In some packages, Michael Thomas is the slot WR... sometimes it’s Taysom Hill.. and so on...

There’s a shot that (on the first offensive play from scrimmage) Alvin Kamara is lined up out wide at WR, with Jared Cook in the slot, and Josh Hill at TE... CGM at the other WR and Latavius Murray at RB.

I think he’s saying what receiver will when the #3 spot as we know who the top 2 are last 2 seasons that has been a committee role

As said above the roles are very fluid. The only guesses I would give is based on snap count. The actual positions would be mostly meaning less.

WR#3 - TQS

LB#2 - Alonso (edit: nm saw he's on the PUP)
LB#2 - Anzalone
LB#3 - Ellis
Going with a wildcard. Why not. Robertson is probably the safe answer. Baun maybe, just don't know if he's ready to be a full LB yet. I could see him get some select snaps early though. Which may be enough to fight for that low #3LB snap count spot. I worry little about the traditional Sam, Will, Mike roles being filled.

DB#5 - PJ
DB#6 - Duce
This could flip flop later in the season.

C - McCoy
G - Ruiz
I'd actually like to see the opposite but guessing he's not quite ready. May change later.

Most of this is just best guesses based on last year. Saint tend to lean to the previous years lineup to start the year atleast. We don't really have much of an offseason to go off of anyway.

Morstead is safe btw. By all accounts he is still one of if not the best punters in the league. It would be quite a shocking move that would have little to do with his performance. A high risk cost cutting move at best, I'd give it a very very low chance of happening.

Last edited:

Other WR? Emmanuel Sanders please say his name if that what you mean.

Other WR? Emmanuel Sanders please say his name if that what you mean.

Nope... I meant what I typed. It was 11 personnel with Kamara and Thomas out wide, Cook in the slot, Josh Hill at TE, and Latavius Murray at RB.

EMMANUEL SANDERS (there, I typed his name) is on the sideline. Next time make sure to read the post correctly before you attempt to “correct” the poster. 👍🏻

At WR TQS is the #3 he will see more snaps because of his ability to block downfield. Even though Ty Montgomery is listed as a RB he will line up a lot at WR. Something you don't want Harris doing.

Regardless of where they line up on the field there is a pecking order.
1.Thomas
2. Sanders
3A. Smith
3B. Montgomery
5. Harris
6. Callaway

At LB it depends on the package in a 4-3 it will be Davis, Anzalone, Baun in 2 LB packages it will be Davis with either Anzalone (coverage) or Baun (rusher) depending on the play call.

Gilikin is depth for both K and P and will most likely be moved to one of the protected spots on the PS after week 1 and he was just too good in camp to let go.

Nope... I meant what I typed. It was 11 personnel with Kamara and Thomas out wide, Cook in the slot, Josh Hill at TE, and Latavius Murray at RB.

EMMANUEL SANDERS (there, I typed his name) is on the sideline. Next time make sure to read the post correctly before you attempt to “correct” the poster. 👍🏻
Ok guy 👍🏽. I misunderstood but let's not have a pi$$ing contest here. My bad

Linebacker's where I have the most questions. I like Robertson as a special teamer and backup LB, but he would make me nervous if he was starting out there every week so I hope one of the young guys is indeed ready to step up.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom