Links in Excel help (1 Viewer)

BHM

Can't please 'em all
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I have an Excel master file at our office. In that file, I have tons of hyperlinks to external pdf files and other Excel files. This is all on a Win2000 server.

I am migrating over to a 2012 Essentials server and I am trying to figure out how to move my master Excel file and all the other external files over without losing the links. I thought if I moved the external file, Excel would keep track of the move and update the link automatically but in my test, this did not happen.

Any thoughts on this?

Are the links absolute or relative?

Edit: sounds like absolute paths to the external files. See about making them relative before moving.

Are the links absolute or relative?

Edit: sounds like absolute paths to the external files. See about making them relative before moving.

Sorry for the delay in responding. They were relative links and all I had to do was copy the entire folder structure over to the new server. Too darn easy.

What confused me is that I thought that if the link were relative, I could just move the files and the links would stay intact. My test was to move some of the linked files over and the links were lost.

Luckily all of my Excel files and the linked files were all in the same parent folder so i just copied the entire structure over to the new server.

Ah; I was assuming you were copying the folder tree from the beginning.

That would have been too easy. I first tried copying just a couple of the linked files to the new server then checked the links which failed. Then of course I went into panic mode thinking the world was coming to an end. :covri:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom