Linux Installation (1 Viewer)

actually I think I need to scoop it back into my windows partition. I do not have any plans to use linux as a major storage system at this point as all of my stuff is in windows format and on several hard drives. I mainly want to just learn linux and gimp at this point.

That might be a challenge, but I think we can do that. It would've been easy to absorb into your /home partition; but to absorb it into Windows partition will involve "squeezing the bubble" from right to left, by using gPartEd in a live session. Partitions can be modified by clicking on the partition and, with the partition highlighted, moving the right or left boundaries to shrink or enlarge the highlighted partition, in the following manner:

- enlarge "swap" to include the unallocated 165GB (no big deal, swap is temporary)
- shrink enlarged "swap" (3.7GB plus 165GB) back down to 3.7GB by moving left edge of partition from left (click & drag) to right until appropriate size is achieved. "unallocated" is now between "/home" and "swap"
- enlarge "/home" to merge "unallocated" into "/home" (again, no big deal, as you're just adding empty storage to an existing partition; no data gets moved)

to merge into Windows, repeat this process with "/home" and the root partition "/", as follows:
- shrink enlarged "/home" back down to size (45GB?) by moving left edge of partition
- enlarge root "/" partition by moving right edge
- shrink root "/" by moving left edge (make sure this partition is at least 10GB for future updates; 15GB-20GB would be better, and plenty!)
- enlarge Windows partition by moving right edge of partition

However, be forewarned there will be a LOT of copy/paste by gPartEd, basically copying entire partitions and pasting entire partitions in different location. Depending on your computer, this could take awhile. And if anything goes wrong, you MAY have to reinstall Kubuntu. But you seem to be pretty tech savvy and if you can repair your GRUB boot record with little more than links to tutorials, you can handle this with gPartEd. Just don't move your EFI/boot partition, or your Windows partition. You can enlarge your Windows partition, on the backside, but do NOT move its front-end starting location. If you just do what we outlined above, and no more, you should be okay!

If you want to take mental reps first, check out this how to:
https://gparted.org/display-doc.php?name=moving-space-between-partitions

Good luck!

wow, I had no idea it was so involved. I will definately get myself very familiar with gparted (thanks for the link, I'm checking it out) And you have given me some very detailed instructions. I will get this done. I'll post here if I run into trouble. Thanks a million for all you time!

If I mess up this computer, I will have a good excuse to get a SSD.:hihi:

side note: I ordered what seems to be the only GIMP book with decent reviews. Looking at the table of contents its seems to cover everything. That is what I am looking forward to the most. Thanks again.

Beginners GIMP

lol, Im still going to fix this partition but I had 200 GB in my trash bin :hihi: :covri:

Haha! Your machine, your pace, your decision Zack! With that said, IMO, clean out your trash and put 200GB back in your Windows partition. Then squeeze that 165GB unallocated area to your linux "/home" partition and just be done with it. Then, both OS have plenty of room to store data files while you're getting your GIMP on! LOL!

This is (likely) a very naive question, but when I backup my Mac, and subsequently Parallels 13...Will I be able to save my Ubuntu/Mint setups as they are? I really like what I have now and thinking about getting a new machine in the next year but would hate to start from scratch (i use linux most of the time when browsing)

This is (likely) a very naive question, but when I backup my Mac, and subsequently Parallels 13...Will I be able to save my Ubuntu/Mint setups as they are? I really like what I have now and thinking about getting a new machine in the next year but would hate to start from scratch (i use linux most of the time when browsing)

It should be as simple as copying the .PVM file of the VMs you want to save from your current Mac to an external storage location (USB drive, network share, Cloud storage, etc.), and then copy them to the same location once you install Parallels on the new system.

Last edited:
It should be as simple as copying the .PVM file of the VMs you want to save from your current Mac to an external storage location (USB drive, network share, Cloud storage, etc.), and then copy them to the same location once you install Parallels on the new system.

Seems simple enough...thanks! (y)

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom