Linux Mint Rafaela (1 Viewer)

boutte

Super Forum Fanatic
Reaction score
Finally had it with Windows. (Edge is even worse that IE) I have a hundred reasons to hate W10 but that's not what I came here to talk about.

After a long session I managed to download Mint 17.2 Rafaela and set up a dual boot. Now I'm ready to install but he partition tool has me a bit confused.
First off the one site I've found to give step by step instructions seems to want you to wipe your hard drive.
Mint3_zps0c4hq5i3.png
[/URL][/IMG]
I chose the LVM option. This brings you to the next step which is where you create a partition to install Linux. I wish I had a screen cap but I couldn't get that to work.

Has anyone done this or can help me figure that utility out. I knda, sorta think I might maybe know what do but....... If necessary I could try to figure out how to do a screen cap.

Any help would be appreciated.

Are you wanting to dual boot, or erase Windows and replace with Mint? Cuz what you're trying to do will NOT be a dual boot situation.

I gather you have (or had?) Win10 on your machine. However, the Mint installer is not detecting your OS. Did you wipe the Win OS before installing Mint? If you did, you won't be dual-booting; if you didn't, Mint isn't detecting it. For a dual boot situation, there should be an option that says something to the effect of: The Installer has detected a Windows OS on this machine, would you like to...Option #1 - install Linux alongside Windows, choosing between each at time of boot or Option #2 - Erase Disk and install Linux Mint.

Check the BIOS/UEFI on your machine. You need to turn off Secure Boot and Fast Boot. Once turned off, try to LiveBoot the Mint disk again and see if it detects the existing Windows OS. When it does, choose the dual boot option. Everything after that will be very obvious to you. Good luck!

Are you wanting to dual boot, or erase Windows and replace with Mint? Cuz what you're trying to do will NOT be a dual boot situation.

I gather you have (or had?) Win10 on your machine. However, the Mint installer is not detecting your OS. Did you wipe the Win OS before installing Mint? If you did, you won't be dual-booting; if you didn't, Mint isn't detecting it. For a dual boot situation, there should be an option that says something to the effect of: The Installer has detected a Windows OS on this machine, would you like to...Option #1 - install Linux alongside Windows, choosing between each at time of boot or Option #2 - Erase Disk and install Linux Mint.

Check the BIOS/UEFI on your machine. You need to turn off Secure Boot and Fast Boot. Once turned off, try to LiveBoot the Mint disk again and see if it detects the existing Windows OS. When it does, choose the dual boot option. Everything after that will be very obvious to you. Good luck!
Yeah I did the secure boot thing and am able to boot to Mint. I haven't installed it yet because I'm not sure how to use the Partition tool. Much as I hate W10 I need to keep it because I have Photoshop and a few other programs that I don't want to lose.

Hmmm...seems your problem is quite common with EFI boot/GPT partitions. I'm gonna go on a limb here and state that, based on your previous responses, you seem quite knowledgeable about computers...knowing about partitions, LVM, etc...

I haven't dual-booted in forever, so I wasn't aware of these issues related to UEFI & GPT partitioning. FWIW, you're on the right track. See if this is helpful:

https://sites.google.com/site/easylinuxtipsproject/reserve-10

Hmmm...seems your problem is quite common with EFI boot/GPT partitions. I'm gonna go on a limb here and state that, based on your previous responses, you seem quite knowledgeable about computers...knowing about partitions, LVM, etc...

I haven't dual-booted in forever, so I wasn't aware of these issues related to UEFI & GPT partitioning. FWIW, you're on the right track. See if this is helpful:

https://sites.google.com/site/easylinuxtipsproject/reserve-10

Thanks for this. I thought it was going to be the answer but sadly it gets me past one problem and straight to a new one. I'll keep trying.

When it gets to the part where the program is supposed to create a new partition it doesn't. I have to create it manually. Once I set that up the next menu option asks what I want to do with the new partition the default choice is "Don't use Partition". When I bring up the drop down menu there are about 12 other options and I have no clue what any of them mean.

I can't do a screen shot because until I get the OS installed I can't use any of my programs. I hate getting into stuff like this on work nights because I wind staying up way too late.

I know what I'll be doing this weekend. Appreciate the help. Thanks

When it gets to the part where the program is supposed to create a new partition it doesn't. I have to create it manually. Once I set that up the next menu option asks what I want to do with the new partition the default choice is "Don't use Partition". When I bring up the drop down menu there are about 12 other options and I have no clue what any of them mean.

I can't do a screen shot because until I get the OS installed I can't use any of my programs. I hate getting into stuff like this on work nights because I wind staying up way too late.

I know what I'll be doing this weekend. Appreciate the help. Thanks

I'm confused and you've lost me. What program and what do you mean by "create it manually"?

Are you using gPartEd (on the Live media) to CREATE the new partition, and then starting the installer on the Live media to install to the newly created "empty" partition?

And I'm not sure what you're doing (or what program you're doing it from) to reference "don't use partition" or 12 options from a pull-down menu. A little more detail please.

A dual-boot Linux installation can seem overwhelming to a new user of Linux, due to the plethora of choices and non-standardization of Windows OS on combinations of hardware setups. It sounds like you've taken a left turn somewhere, when you should've gone straight. Not trying to fuss you...just saying it sometimes happens (myself included!). Let's take a deep breath, take a step back, and start over when you're not so rushed.

In the meantime, what is the make/model of the machine you're wanting to install on? And the existing Windows? For instance "Gateway NV-75s laptop with Windows 7". With that information, maybe we'll get lucky and locate another user who has successfully installed Linux to an identical machine and documented any special considerations/workarounds?

Operating System: Windows 8.1 64-bit (6.3, Build 9600) (9600.winblue_gdr.140330-1035)
Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
System Manufacturer: ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC.
System Model: M51AC
BIOS: 1002
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4770 CPU @ 3.40GHz (8 CPUs), ~3.4GHz
Memory: 16384MB RAM
Available OS Memory: 16292MB RAM
Page File: 6440MB used, 12842MB available
Windows Dir: C:\Windows
DirectX Version: DirectX 11
DX Setup Parameters: Not found
User DPI Setting: Using System DPI
System DPI Setting: 96 DPI (100 percent)
DWM DPI Scaling: Disabled
DxDiag Version: 6.03.9600.16384 64bit Unicode

That's a nice machine Boutte! I like Asus and those specs are impressive! Wiping the drool from my chin...

I'm not really seeing anything online that indicates that machine is a problem, other than the usual UEFI related issues. Turn off secure boot, turn off fast boot. UEFI issues aside, seems like folks are successful installing Ubuntu and Linux Mint on that machine.

As an alternative, have you considered Windows as a VM, running inside Linux, rather than dual booting? Most folks who dual-boot are restricted by their hardware. But your machine is a brute, with RAM to spare. I understand wanting to keep Windows for certain programs. I have Win7 and Win10 running in VMs for just those occasions. If you prefer to dual-boot, so be it...it is your machine. But there is another way.

If you're interested in learning more, here are the highlights:
1) Install Linux on entire drive
2) Install virtualbox on Linux https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Linux_Downloads
3) Install Windows 8 in VirtualBox How to Install Windows 8 in VirtualBox - 12 Easy Steps
4) Install desired Windows programs (i.e. Photoshop, etc...)

That's pretty much it. Advantages include being able to use Windows & Windows software just like any other software on your machine; no need to shut down, reboot, select Windows OS, perform windows task, reboot, and select Linux to return to workflow. Simply click on Virtualbox, use windows software, close virtualbox to return to workflow. You can also copy/paste, use same data directories, etc... as if Windows VM was just another software program on machine. You can also grow "virtual disk" as needed, or modify RAM, video settings easily. Finally, you can backup Windows VM and restore previous settings if Windows has a catastrophe. You can even export to a future machine when your Asus is an old man needing to be replaced.

Downside includes "splitting your RAM" and sharing peripherals while the VM is open. For instance, if your Linux Host has 16GB RAM, when Windows VM is running, the VM will "steal" RAM from your host, in the amount you specify. I would suggest that 4GB is sufficient, certainly no more than 6GB (what will Photoshop require for sufficient use?). In that case, your Windows guest VM will "steal" 4GB RAM from the host, leaving the Linux host with only 12GB RAM. Or 6GB guest and 10GB host. And Windows will "steal" assigned peripherals for the duration of a virtual session. For instance, I have a USB stick and a printer that are automatically "captured" by the VM for use when I start the VM. The host cannot use these 2 devices while Windows VM is running (unless I manually "release" them by unchecking a tick box). The Windows VM automatically releases these devices to the Linux host again when I close the VM. The other downside is that it's a PITA to reinstall all the Windows software (Photoshop, etc...) again. But once it's done...you're done...make a backup. If you completely trash & thrash your windows VM the very next day with the most malicious virus ever seen to mankind, simply delete the VM, restore your backup, and you're up and running again within 15 minutes (depending on VM disk size) like it never happened.

I think that covers the pros and the cons. Most folks who dual-boot either don't know about virtual machines, or don't have the hardware (usually RAM) to split the resources. You certainly have the hardware. Unless you NEED to dual-boot, I would strongly recommend you consider the VirtualBox Windows8 VM route. But it's your machine and your decision. Whatever you decide, I'll do my best to help you out.

But for the dual-boot route, I think you've got an UEFI issue. There's an incompatible setting in there somewhere.

I worry that Windows sitting inside Linux opens me to spying and the other issues I'm trying to escape.

A friend that I trust about these thing just related a story that makes me even more paranoid than I already was. An Australian friend of his had a file with a lot of movies and music that he had down loaded from several torrent sites. When he tried to access the file he discovered that Windows had scanned his files, found the torrents and deleted them. Sounds outrageous but if you actually read the user agreement it says in plain language that you're authorizing MS to do just that. As well as reading private emails and any other file on your hard drive. They also tell you that if they find anything that they feel they should share with law enforcement they will.

Fair enough. I'm not trying to talk you into something you don't want to do. Just inform you of an alternative that looks like it might fit your criteria. But it's ultimately your machine and your choice. My only comment would be that your dual-booted Windows is just as susceptible...internet access is what opens up the vulnerability. So you'll have this problem with a dual-boot arrangement just as much as a VM arrangement.

Is there ANY reason for your Windows machine to connect to the internet? If there is not, you can setup a VirtualBox VM to access your local intranet network ONLY, with no internet access. Microsoft can't access what isn't connected to the internet.

With that being said, WinXP makes a fine VM if used like I just described. As long as your windows software is XP compatible. You sound like me, with similar concerns. And for that reason, I still think that a Windows VM is an ideal solution for you. But that is YOUR decision to make, not mine...

I'll look into it. Thanks. I never knew about that option. I'm determined to be finished by the end of this weekend.

Ideally, I guess I would recommend that you dual-boot, at least initially, but setup a Windows VM inside your Linux Mint OS. Best of both worlds and allows you to try out both setups to see which works best for your computing style and workflows.

If it turns out that dual-boot is preferred by you, simply delete your VM (or just don't use it anymore). If it turns out you prefer a Windows VM, delete the windows partion and use your Live media to "grow" the Linux partition to reclaim the vacated Windows partition (or just don't boot into the Windows partition anymore).

When I first switched to Linux, I dual-booted for safety net reasons. But as I became more familiar with Linux programs and proficient with a new workflow, I just found that it was a real PITA to shut down Linux OS, reboot into Windows, perform the isolated and specific task that I still needed Windows for, then shut down Windows and reboot into Linux. When I discovered how to use a Windows VM while I was still in Linux, it was my holy grail and I never installed in a dual-boot fashion since. Now, I just click on my Windows VM as if it's any other piece of software; do my Windows work; and close my VM when I'm done. For me, it's just WAY more efficient.

The biggest con against VMs is the strain of 2 OSes simultaneously using RAM and CPUs. But for a beast like yours, that should be a non-issue.

As a point of reference, I have a home-built Frankenputer with Asus motherboard, AMD FX-6200 six-core CPU, and 16GB RAM. I installed Ubuntu 12.04 originally, but currently running Ubuntu 14.04 (Linux Mint 17.2 is based on Ubuntu 14.04) and this machine has never had a problem since the day I built it (3+ years and going strong). I have a Win7 VM with 4GB allocated RAM (leaving 12GB for the Linux host) and it never even breaks a sweat. I'm in the real estate profession, so I need Windows for a few specialized real estate software programs and Quickbooks. I have no Photoshop experience to compare, but my daughter is a graphic designer who uses Photoshop on Window machines at school, but GIMP on Linux machines at home. While she acknowledges that she can do SOME things on Photoshop that GIMP can't do, or doesn't do as easily, she is very happy with GIMP and says it isn't worth the small fortune to pay for Photoshops additional features. Her answer is..."I'll just use GIMP!"

I don't know if you're a power user of Photoshop, but here's the question: does your current Windows setup require more than 6-7GB of RAM to use Photoshop the way you require? If your answer is no, I think you're good with a VM; if the answer is yes, you should dual-boot. The ONLY other reason I can think of to recommend a dual-boot is if you're a gamer. If you're a gamer, you really should keep your OS as close to the metal as possible.

I hope this helps in your decision process. Either way, I'll do what I can to help ya! It's a little premature, but if you finish by the end of this weekend, let me be the first to say "Welcome to the club!"

I know I'm jumping in late, but I just want to make sure I've read this correctly. Boutte, You're downloading movies and music via bittorrent in windows and the files are disappearing. I use bit tornado in Linux. With Debian or Ubuntu it takes 2 loads;

apt-get install bittornado

apt-get install bittornado-gui

Make sure your do both otherwise you'll just have a command-line version. Like I said, it works with Debian and Ubuntu, but I've never tried it with Mint.

Also, I never install a dual boot on the same drive. I always have a second drive for that. And I would recommend what Jekylz was saying about one drive and running window$ in a VM. Save the files you want to keep on the Linux drive.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom