Linux question (1 Viewer)

jlam

Do you not?
Reaction score
Before you Linux nerds roll your eyes at another HELP ME thread, just know that this is what a lot of you wanted. Put down Windows and praise Linux enough, and eventually the morons like me are going to end up giving it a go. :hihi:

Anywho, I hinted at this in another thread but haven't really gotten anywhere since. I'll make it short and to the point:

Device: Old as **** Gateway Laptop with no internal wireless and no internal broadband card (if I didn't have it, I would doubt its existence).

OS: Xunbuntu. Not enough RAM to run much else, and I felt more comfortable with it since I have Ubuntu on my other old laptop.

Problem: The OS runs fine, but I can't get on the internet. At all. I have drivers for both a PCI slot wireless card and an ethernet-to-usb adapter, but can't use them. Maybe if I could find a way to get ndiswrapper on the computer I could, but without internet access, I don't know how. My limited Windows knowlege tells me that if I had a similar problem in Windows, I could download the .exe file on one computer, toss it on a memory stick, and open and install it on the network challenged computer. Is there some sort of equivalent procedure I can go through with Linux, or is it so web-based that I'm just SOL?

It's just going to be used as sort of an extra netbook around the house, so it's definitely not of vital importance or anything, I'd just hate to toss it if there's even some use for it. It's almost like an antique.

It is the exact same procedure. Stick whatever file on a USB thumb drive and copy it over in Xubuntu. What is the brand/make/model of the eth-to-usb adapter? Plug the PCI slot card in, and then open the terminal.

Run the following in the terminal and then cut/paste it back here.

Code:
sudo lshw -c network

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom