Linux/Ubuntu alternatives to Win programs? (1 Viewer)

Reaction score
This is a pretty long post with lots of topics, but it's only becuase I have LOTS of questions and very few answers. I'm actually VERY EXCITED about long-term prospects, but I'm looking for some guidance & perhaps even some mentoring!

I'm a relatively proficient Windows user who is trying to migrate to Linux Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala. On a scale of beginner>intermediate>advanced>expert, I'd say my Windows skills are probably upper intermediate to solid advanced. I'm able to maintain my computer & network in a malware-free fashion, troubleshoot issues, perform repairs, and modify systems to do what I need them to do. As a professional real estate appraiser, I rely HEAVILY on MS Outlook, MS Office suite, Internet Explorer, Adobe PDF software, Paperport Manager, Quickbooks Pro, and WinTotal. Maybe there's a better way, but this setup works well for ME, most of the time, except for typical MS quirks...

I recently upgraded a computer with an OEM Win 7 platform and was astounded at the number of previously purchased programs that no longer work in Win 7, or work with reduced functionality. Inasmuch as the learning curve of a new OS is already on the table, the prospect of repurchasing software that I already own is really burning me up and has pushed me over the edge!!!

After much research, I have decided now is the time to commence my migration from Win to Linux! I've recently installed Ubuntu distro 9.10 "Karmic Koala" and am mostly pleased with the interface and the core programs, although I've learned my Windows skills don't mean much in Linux. After just 1 short week, I'm learning that I need to "unlearn" Windows conventions and that I have a lot more learning to do. If I can just resolve bug issues that freeze my desktop to the point of necessitating a hard reboot, I would be ecstatic! Until then, it's no worse than Windows, right?!

FWIW, I am extremely pleased with Evolution contact manager, as it is an almost perfect replica of MS Outlook; OpenOffice is certainly a capable replacement of (and probably even more versatile than) MS Office; and Firefox is at least as functional as IE was. I'm 1/2 the way there, directly out of the box!

Here's my question though...can you guys suggest some Linux programs that are direct replacements/substitutes for the aforementioned Adobe PDF software, Paperport Manager, Quickbooks Pro, and WinTotal, which are the core programs for my business?!

I need PDF software to convert with hyperlinks intact. OpenOffice does this beautifully, but virtual PDF/cups-pdf printers do not. This is a problem with e-mail & task conversion in Evolution. Is there a Linux/Ubuntu program or virtual PDF printer that converts with hyperlinks intact? What about "hacking" one of the open source programs? Can it be done? And how?

Paperport Manager is basically used as a document scanner and repository for scanned PDF docs to be merged with appraisal report docs. Occassionally, the OCR software comes in handy for conversion, but not often. Again, a Linux version of this?

Next, although Quickbrooks Pro is only one step above MS on the food chain of irritability, it probably cannot be replaced, although I'd love to. While I've found accounting programs (Gnu Cash, specifically) that will probably suffice, my accountant insists on files in Quicken or Quickbooks format. I don't really wanna replace my accountant, so maybe I need to look into Wine and run it that way? If I can get that working, maybe I can use that for my Zune music software program also? Anyone here with Wine experience?

Lastly, there is WinTotal, which is proprietary real estate appraisal software. This has got to be the 2nd most buggy program ever developed, trailing only ACI, which is the other major vendor of appraisal software. There are NO ALTERNATIVES, whatsoever, for real estate appraisal software; all appraisal software appears to be windows based ONLY!!! This is a monopoly that Bill Gates can be jealous of! Unless one of you guys is also an appraiser/linux guru who knows something fantastic that I don't know, I'm guessing this is a Wine resolution also.

...but in the back of my mind, I wish I could hook up with a programmer/developer to create Linux based appraisal software. Considering how buggy, quirky, and sluggish the windows based appraisal programs are, it seems to me that the reported reliability of Linux programs are perfect for the "SCREAMING DEMAND" of the appraisal profession!!!! I know several colleagues in my professional circle who continuously lament how unreliable their appraisal software is...but what are we supposed to do...none of us are programmers?!!!

Any of you guys expert enough to collaborate with me on developing such a huge project, or to even suggest how to get the ball rolling??? Ultimately, I see this as part of a larger step towards the "remixing" of Ubuntu into a specified set of core program "modules" geared specifically for real estate professionals in appraisal, brokerage, and/or property management. I have over 20 years experience in these professions, have utilized several real estate programs over the years, and find that I am extremely tech savvy, relative to my peer group; I believe there would be a huge opportunity to market bundled platforms specifically geared to real estate professionals and their unique software needs.

Any of you experienced Linux gurus think any of these ideas have merit? How would I move forward from this brainstorm idea? Any thoughts, suggestions, would be welcomed! Just as important, please don't overlook my Linux alternative software requests from several paragraphs ago!!

Thanks guys!

First of all .......
If I can just resolve bug issues that freeze my desktop to the point of necessitating a hard reboot, I would be ecstatic! Until then, it's no worse than Windows, right?!
Is the entire system locking up or just X? Unlike Windows, you can turn off the gui (X). When the system freezes, try:
Code:
Ctrl-Alt-F1
That should take you to a log in prompt. If it does, then you, most likely, have issues with your video card modules (drivers).
If you are totally locked up, then reboot, open a terminal, and type:
Code:
sudo dmesg
See if anything stands out from that. If it's confusing, just post the output here (make sure there is no sensative data posted along w/it).

About the software.....
There are a few Linux users here that will know more about some of the specific Windows applications in detail and can help you better than I can.

There are some websites that address some of your questions:
Linux Alternative Project (formerly the Linux Equivalent Project)
http://www.libervis.com/wiki/index.php?title=Table_of_Equivalent_Software
http://wiki.linuxquestions.org/wiki/Linux_software_equivalent_to_Windows_software

Here's my question though...can you guys suggest some Linux programs that are direct replacements/substitutes for the aforementioned Adobe PDF software, Paperport Manager, Quickbooks Pro, and WinTotal, which are the core programs for my business?!
For PDFs, there are many apps to choose from (free and not free).
I am not a PDF expert, but I like PDFEdit, not saying it's best, though. I have also used Scribus for PDF work, as well.

Quickbooks is Quickbooks. You have found what is close to the free equivalent to that, GnuCash. Personally, I LOVE GnuCash and use it for everything. I have heard of people converting QB files to GnuCash, but not sure if it works or the pain level involved. I am not sure if Quickbooks runs in WINE or not?
The thing that matters here is your accountant. They NEED what they are used to. I do a lot of MS --> Linux (and other *nix) office conversions and have had only one (as in a single) user completely convert over to GnuCash. People that are very good at Quickbooks got that way over a long period and will NOT learn a new program. That's just the way it is.

I do not know much about Paperport Manager. There are many OCR options, though.
Have you looked at KnowledgeTree? Looks like something that is close.

Don't know about WinTotal, at all. I will look into that. Hopefully someone can help you out better, here.
I would suggest WINE for some of the proprietary Win apps. WINE is in full snowball mode, every single update is making huge advances.

Since you mentioned OpenOffice. Like Firefox, there is much functionality that can be gained by adding some extensions.
See here:
http://extensions.services.openoffice.org

What about "hacking" one of the open source programs? Can it be done? And how?
The majority is either C, C++, Python, or Perl.
If you're a programmer, then the world is at your fingertips! Hack away! Dead projects are picked up all the time by other programmers.

Hopefully, some of that helped.

First of all .......Is the entire system locking up or just X? Unlike Windows, you can turn off the gui (X). When the system freezes, try:
Code:
Ctrl-Alt-F1
That should take you to a log in prompt. If it does, then you, most likely, have issues with your video card modules (drivers).
Code:
sudo dmesg
See if anything stands out from that. If it's confusing, just post the output here (make sure there is no sensative data posted along w/it).

About the software.....
There are a few Linux users here that will know more about some of the specific Windows applications in detail and can help you better than I can.

http://wiki.linuxquestions.org/wiki/Linux_software_equivalent_to_Windows_software

I am not a PDF expert, but I like PDFEdit, not saying it's best, though. I have also used Scribus for PDF work, as well.

Quickbooks is Quickbooks. You have found what is close to the free equivalent to that, GnuCash. Personally, I LOVE GnuCash and use it for everything. I have heard of people converting QB files to GnuCash, but not sure if it works or the pain level involved. I am not sure if Quickbooks runs in WINE or not?
The thing that matters here is your accountant. They NEED what they are used to. I do a lot of MS --> Linux (and other *nix) office conversions and have had only one (as in a single) user completely convert over to GnuCash. People that are very good at Quickbooks got that way over a long period and will NOT learn a new program. That's just the way it is.

Don't know about WinTotal, at all. I will look into that. Hopefully someone can help you out better, here.
I would suggest WINE for some of the proprietary Win apps. WINE is in full snowball mode, every single update is making huge advances.

Since you mentioned OpenOffice. Like Firefox, there is much functionality that can be gained by adding some extensions.
See here:

If you're a programmer, then the world is at your fingertips! Hack away! Dead projects are picked up all the time by other programmers.

Yes, I think so...I need to digest some of this before commenting, though! Appreciate your help...keep it coming!!! ;-)

Wish I would have seen this one earlier. I own my own business and handle the title abstracting side. I rely heavily on some of the same tools you do.

As for the GUI locking up, you can also press the key combo of:

alt sysreq k

in that order, holding down alt first, keeping it held down, then the sysreq key, holding both down, and finally the k key. This has replaced the old method of ctrl-alt-backspace on the Linux X-Server software (what runs the GUI).

I also use PaperPort in Windows and have dabbled with some Linux variants. I haven't found anything I am pleased with, yet. So, I have to boot into W7 for PaperPort and a mapping program for when I need to figure out metes/bounds issues with parcels.

If not mentioned above (and in case I skipped over it) the IES4Linux project allows IE to run on top of Linux. I have had mixed results with certain county websites. When that fails, I end up booting back into W7.

If I were wise, I'd just install W7 inside of VirtualBox and be done with it.

I'll be watching this thread closely. I'd LOVE to find an OCR/scanning alternative.

It should be mentioned that printing TO PDF is quite simple in Ubuntu also, if you haven't already realized that.

Rating Gold? :9:
Additional Comments Please copy mfc42.dll from an existing windows installation (c:\windows\system32\mfc42.dll) to wine windows/system32 directory and register the dll in the wine configuration dialog as windows native dll. then just run setup.exe and everything goes well.

Nice find! Mike

Yeah llama, what he said! /veryinterested

Nope, but I'm doing it tonight! Allsome find! Thanks!

Wish I would have seen this one earlier. I own my own business and handle the title abstracting side. I rely heavily on some of the same tools you do.

As for the GUI locking up, you can also press the key combo of:

alt sysreq k

in that order, holding down alt first, keeping it held down, then the sysreq key, holding both down, and finally the k key. This has replaced the old method of ctrl-alt-backspace on the Linux X-Server software (what runs the GUI).

I also use PaperPort in Windows and have dabbled with some Linux variants. I haven't found anything I am pleased with, yet. So, I have to boot into W7 for PaperPort and a mapping program for when I need to figure out metes/bounds issues with parcels.

If not mentioned above (and in case I skipped over it) the IES4Linux project allows IE to run on top of Linux. I have had mixed results with certain county websites. When that fails, I end up booting back into W7.

If I were wise, I'd just install W7 inside of VirtualBox and be done with it.

I'll be watching this thread closely. I'd LOVE to find an OCR/scanning alternative.

It should be mentioned that printing TO PDF is quite simple in Ubuntu also, if you haven't already realized that.

Thanks for the tip on alt sysReq K; I've been using ctrl alt backspace and it hasn't been working. I've also tried alt f keys for various desktops, but nothing. The only thing that works is a hard reboot or alt sysreq R E I S U B, which appears to be the Linux equivalent to MS ctrl alt del.

Paperport is actually the least of my concerns, as long as I can scan to PDF and occassionally OCR into an OpenOffice app. I just use Paperport as a temporary repository for scans and I can duplicate that filing system within Linux quite easily...I might even name that directory Paperport so as not to confuse myself!

Looks like OpenOffice is gonna be the biggest piece to my conversion and I'm loving how it reads from and writes to other program formats. My reports are pretty complicated with graphical inserts, digital signatures, tables, photos, rotated PDF files, special fonts, etc... I converted one of my Word Docs to OpenOffice Writer and it looks like a complete conversion, with no loss of formatting at all...I'm LOVING IT!!!

As for the PDF conversions, it is quite simple, in theory, but in reality it's giving me fits. OpenOffice has a built in PDF converter that works beautifully...no complaints whatsoever. Evolution e-mail and tasks, however, are a problem. I installed PDF Creator (virtual printer) and it appears to just take a snapshot of the screen and replace hyperlinks with blue underlined text font. I NEED the hyperlinks there, or PDF conversion is pointless. I also installed a cups-pdf printer, but with the same result. Attempting to work around this issue, I copied and pasted into OpenOffice Writer, but I lose graphical inserts upon pasting; it looks like a frame with no graphic; but the hyperlinks convert wonderfully. I want BOTH! I don't know any other way to describe it except that I need it to work like the Adobe Standard PDF converter; all hyperlinks and graphics maintained, but in PDF format that can be cropped, resized, and/or rotated 90-180 degrees, as needed. Does anyone know of a Linux program that does all that? How about 2 programs used in conjunction? Or some other workaround? If I can solve this one, I think I'm about 80% of the way home!

Firefox is a fine substitute for IE as far as I'm concerned, so that's not an issue. But what is this VirtualBox you describe? It sounds like Windows inside of Linux...doesn't that defeat the purpose of Linux? How do you implement that? More information please...

Lastly, just out of curiousity, what plotting software do you use?

First of all .......Is the entire system locking up or just X? Unlike Windows, you can turn off the gui (X). When the system freezes, try:
Code:
Ctrl-Alt-F1
Code:
sudo dmesg

About the software.....

See here:

I'm pretty sure it's my gdm, as I retain mouse function, but the keyboard is completely useless except for alt sysreq R E I S U B (I'm gonna try the above suggestion for alt sysrq k next time though). Entered a command chmod -x gdm I found on a help forum and it appears to have helped...knock on wood. It looks like new bug fixes for Ubuntu 9.10 are available every day, so hopefully this will be resolved before I pull all my hair out. If it does it again, I'll run sudo dmesg and post the text file here for your consideration. I really do appreciate that offer. THANK YOU!!!

I also thank you for the various website selections. Rest assured I'll be checking out every last one of them!!!

With respect to PDFs, I have installed PDFEdit and Scribus both. Neither does all of what I need. I can use either, but I NEED the PDF converter on the front end to maintain hyperlinks, otherwise the PDF conversion is pointless (see post above). If I find a way before someone shows me the way, I'll share and post it here. Until then...anyone, anyone...Bueller????

I played with GnuCash a little and I really like it alot!!! If it wasn't for my accountant, this would work for me just fine. I'm gonna talk to him about HIM using the free windows version of GnuCash in order to read my files that I send quarterly. He doesn't really tinker with my entries much, just reads my files to prepare quarterlies and year-ends. He can consider this minor request that won't cost him anything.

Good call on the OpenOffice extensions/plugins. I did not know that... This OpenOffice suite just keeps getting better & better! I'll be checking that out too!

Lastly, with respect to WinTotal and/or ACI, I'm nearly certain there are no Linux versions or alternatives available, but a software guru can certainly find out things before a practitioner does. I'm pretty much resigned to running this in Wine, but I really do see a HUGE opportunity for someone with the right programmer/developer skill set. While cruising various appraiser forums looking for some arcane Linux appraisal software package, I know for a FACT that there are several thousand, perhaps tens of thousands potential appraiser/users who would be willing to PAY $$$ for "free software" that "just works". Count me in that number also. It's not about the $$$, it's about software that works as advertised, that I can use as I see fit once I purchase it! If I had programmer skillz, this discussion would be over...

Thanks for all your help so far, you've given me a LOT to consider. THANKS to ALL of you guys for your suggestions. I'm trying to learn everything I can, as fast as I can...sometimes I don't know what the heck you "linux guys" are saying, but keep 'em coming and I'll eventually figure it out!!!

There is an Adobe Reader that I use just for reading pdf files...I have no idea if it'll do what you need. You'll have to enable the medibuntu repository first;

To enable the Medibuntu repository, please do the following:

Import the repository:

sudo wget http://www.medibuntu.org/sources.list.d/$(lsb_release -cs).list --output-document=/etc/apt/sources.list.d/medibuntu.list

Import the gpg-key and update your package-list:

sudo aptitude update && sudo aptitude install medibuntu-keyring && sudo aptitude update

Then run

sudo update-apt-xapian-index

to make Synaptic display packages from third-party repositories.

Then run;

sudo apt-get install acroread

Like I said, I have no idea if that'll help. All I do with pdf files is read them.

In addition, take a look at this link. Good stuff for beginners -

http://howtoforge.com/the-perfect-desktop-ubuntu-9.10-karmic-koala

Also, like llama suggested, look into installing virtualbox for running those windows-only programs; http://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Linux_Downloads

You can install windows inside a vm and just run it like you would a standalone windows system.

Last edited:
There is an Adobe Reader that I use just for reading pdf files...I have no idea if it'll do what you need. You'll have to enable the medibuntu repository first;

Then run;

sudo apt-get install acroread

Like I said, I have no idea if that'll help. All I do with pdf files is read them.

In addition, take a look at this link. Good stuff for beginners -

http://howtoforge.com/the-perfect-desktop-ubuntu-9.10-karmic-koala

Also, like llama suggested, look into installing virtualbox for running those windows-only programs; http://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Linux_Downloads

You can install windows inside a vm and just run it like you would a standalone windows system.

Meh...I've got PDF readers up the wazoo...I need a PDF "writer" or "converter"...

Thanks for the links, though. I'm especially interested in this "virtual machine" software. If I understand it correctly, I can install windows on top of Linux Ubuntu and run windows programs from there. That would greatly collapse the conversion time frame!

What I don't understand yet, is why do that instead of running on Wine? Is that a better method, or just a different way? Also, if Linux is a better, more reliable, stable system, then why dilute it by running MS Windows on top of Linux? Is the sole purpose to be able to run Windows program on Linux?

I need to check out your Virtual Machine links and understand this better. I've got a million quesitons, but I want to see if I can answer some of them before I ask obviously stupid questions.

Thank you!

For me, running a Windows environment in VirtualBox on top of Linux means one less reboot of the physical machine. Also, WINE can be buggy at times and installs of Windows software via WINE can be hit or miss, despite what instructions or how-to's I follow from the 'net.

The mapping software I use is absolutely horrible in quality, but I own it and it works. It's called "MapDraw" by Informatik, and I would love to find an opensource alternative, and more importantly, an alternative that runs natively on Linux.

So I end up dumping into W7 to either use the PaperPort Suite (the link above is for the viewer only) or to use MapDraw, and occasionally certain ActiveX websites like http://flagshipgis.com or http://emapsplus.com (this one just uses JAVA and will work on Linux browsers).

As for the PDF writer options, would you explain your workflow better? At what point are you creating the PDF? Is the original report data in a proprietary appraisal program? Is that why PaperPort is the best for you? Its ability to combine/split PDF's?

On Windows I've had luck with DocsVault Home Edition as a replacement for PaperPort, but unfortunately I didn't have luck installing it via WINE.

For me, running a Windows environment in VirtualBox on top of Linux means one less reboot of the physical machine. Also, WINE can be buggy at times and installs of Windows software via WINE can be hit or miss, despite what instructions or how-to's I follow from the 'net.

The mapping software I use is absolutely horrible in quality, but I own it and it works. It's called "MapDraw" by Informatik, and I would love to find an opensource alternative, and more importantly, an alternative that runs natively on Linux.

So I end up dumping into W7 to either use the PaperPort Suite (the link above is for the viewer only) or to use MapDraw, and occasionally certain ActiveX websites like http://flagshipgis.com or http://emapsplus.com (this one just uses JAVA and will work on Linux browsers).

As for the PDF writer options, would you explain your workflow better? At what point are you creating the PDF? Is the original report data in a proprietary appraisal program? Is that why PaperPort is the best for you? Its ability to combine/split PDF's?

On Windows I've had luck with DocsVault Home Edition as a replacement for PaperPort, but unfortunately I didn't have luck installing it via WINE.

So basically, a virtual machine is a "better way" than Wine, as it's more consistent than wine's hit/miss functionality. I like that...consistency is exactly what I'm after.

I'm really not too concerned with the Paperport Suite, as its just a "bundle" of scanner software, filing system, OCR, pdf/jpg/image editor. Linux Ubuntu has programs for each that look like they'll suffice.

As far as a workflow, I typically scan relevant documents into Paperport, i.e. deed, tax card property info, MLS property data from webpage, blueprint/sketches, zoning maps, ordinances, flood maps, etc... Sometimes, I need to convert a MS Outlook e-mail, note, and/or task to a PDF; with hyperlinks intact, or the PDF is useless to me (this is a small, but very important documentation step in my workflow). Finally, I compile them into a complete addenda with Adobe Standard. The completely assembled addenda stays in Paperport, for single file reference while writing report in Word, until report is completed. Hence, it is just a temporary repository for open work file assignments.

With all my various data sources compiled into a single reference document, I typically utilize proprietary MS Excel spreadsheets that I have developed over the years to value properties using Sales, Income, and Cost Approaches. After valuation, I will write a commercial narrative report in Word, again using proprietary templates that I have developed over the years.

At this point, I have three data sources that need to be merged into a single document for the reader/viewer: MS Excel valuation worksheets, Word report narrative, and PDF addenda. I will convert landscape Excel docs to a PDF, crop and rotate into portrait position, and paste into Word doc; portrait Excel docs will be directly copied & pasted into the Word doc. I will also copy & paste relevant maps & photos into the Word doc. Lastly, digital signatures are inserted. With a fully functional narrative report in Word doc, the next step is PDF conversion; this alleviates any problems with incompatible versions of Word, as well as preventing unauthorized changes to the document. Finally, the previously compiled PDF addenda is merged with the report PDF into a fully completed PDF appraisal report. This file is e-mailed to the recipient as a finished product.

In looking at the workflow chain, the main item to be addressed is the conversion of e-mail/note/tasks to PDF, with hyperlinks intact. Evolution is a wonderful substitute for Outlook, in appearance and function, but does not have the PDF conversion functionality that Outlook does. I was looking at virtual PDF printers to solve this problem. But the PDF printers I have located & installed only take a "snapshot" of the screen; the hyperlinks are converted to a blue, underlined font that cannot be clicked through. As a potential workaround, I have copied & pasted into OpenOffice Writer, which works wonderfully for hyperlinks, but I lose formatting. While the hyperlinks are more important, ideally, I'd like BOTH! Accordingly, this scenario is currently only my fourth best solution!

In a perfect world, the OpenOffice PDF converter would be available as a virtual printer; the next best solution would be for Evolution to have the OpenOffice PDF converter as a plug-in or add-in. Inasmuch as neither is available right now, I'm looking for option #3.

Does this help, or have I told you way more than you need to know? Any thoughts?

Lastly, if I can set up a virtual machine window to run Windows programs, i.e. Quickbooks and WinTotal Appraisal software, I should have a fully functional Linux Ubuntu box. Buh-bye Microsoft!!!!!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom