Lions might try to trade WR Roy Williams? (1 Viewer)

we need too much on defense, but I could see him fitting in for these teams:

Eagles
Ravens
Jaguars
Titans

Agree ref the Jags. Where they are picking Willians for their 1st rd pick would be a huge gain for them. Jags also need to add some help in their secondary, but heck who doesn't?

I'd rather spend the money on Faneca, and keep a draft pick. Saints have had a top 5 offense each of the last two years without Roy Williams yet can still always improve the offensive line, as they haven't quite played to the level this year as they did last.

Well they dropped modest money for Mike Furrey last season, and as the #2 overall pick Calvin Johnson got a monster contract. They also still likely have some dead money from Mike Williams. So they have money tied up at that position and i'm sure Roy Williams is looking to get paid.

All of that said though, you wonder if this doesn't have something to do with Mike Martz. Roy Williams was a big fan of Martz. So was Kitna, and Kitna even publically criticized Martz's firing. But they can't get rid of Kitna (this year) and can make up a rationale for dumping Roy Williams. You wonder if Roy didn't make some comments privately that turned off Matt Millen.

Unbelievable Millen still has a job.

I must admit that I've had to research Furrey. He's my type of guy. AFL standout FS, and actually played both sides for Det. He parlayed his opportunity into a deal at WR after craking out 1,000 yards. Those Lions are a wacky bunch, that's for sure. Props to Millen. He's like a government employee....

I must admit that I've had to research Furrey. He's my type of guy. AFL standout FS, and actually played both sides for Det. He parlayed his opportunity into a deal at WR after craking out 1,000 yards. Those Lions are a wacky bunch, that's for sure. Props to Millen. He's like a government employee....

He's a sort of homeless man's (tm Bill Simmons) Wes Welker. He's got good hands, blocks well from the WR spot, is a tough reciever. But he lacks Welker's quickness and speed. He fit well with Martz' offense and all of those 4 and 5-wide sets but he's pretty much a niche player in most offenses.

I think the idea is to go with Calvin Johnson/Shaun McDonald as youir starters and Furrey as your slot but :shrug:

Per Rotoworld:

Roy Williams-WR-Lions Jan. 13 - 12:16 pm et

MLive.com's Tom Kowalski believes the Lions will dangle Roy Williams in trade talks leading up to April's NFL Draft.
Williams will enter a contract year in 2008 and Kowalski expects him to leave in 2009 if the Lions can't execute a trade. If Williams is dealt, Calvin Johnson would take over as Detroit's "No. 1" receiver. Williams, the No. 7 overall pick in 2004, should at least command a second-round pick as compensation.
Source: MLive.com
Related: Calvin Johnson

It wouldn't surprise me if Roy Williams, who becomes a UFA at the end of the 2008 season, only gets a late 2nd or even a 3rd.

A year ago Stallworth, with over 200 receptions in the 4 previous seasons, but in a contract year, went for a 4th. He wasn't a one-time pro-bowler like Williams (243 in 4 seasons) but was also a former 1st rounder with unrealized potential, like Williams.
http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/S/StalDo00.htm

Chris Chambers went for a (very) late 2nd this year. His previous 4 seasons were better than Williams', but he hasn't been as injury prone,
http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/C/ChamCh00.htm?redir
http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/W/WillRo04.htm

Additionally, Chambers is under contract through the end of the 2009 season, although I don't actually know if his final year number is something that one would want to realistically pay him. So even though he's 3 years older than Williams, the trade was effectively a late 2nd for 3 seasons of Chambers under contract. IMHO, that probably outweighs the age factor.

I'd think Williams might be available for a 3rd, especially if it looks pretty likely that he will not sign an extension and that as a UFA he will not be resigned by Detroit for whatever reason.

We only have 2 WRs under contract... so in essence we need WRs more than we need CBs... we actually have a few of those under contract...

The Lions seem poised to be ready to part with several high profile players for the second year in a row. The scuttlebutt is that both Roy Williams and Kevin Jones will eventually be gone along with Shaun Rogers. They can make two of those things happen this year--getting rid of Williams and Rogers. I think they will do both with Rogers getting cut and Williams being moved for a second round pick. It's almos similar to the situation with Javon Walker. He was coming off an injury and Denver gave up a second to get him. Also, teams are VERY reluctant to trade away first round picks for players. Unless a team is losing a first round trying to trade up in the draft, I think the days of seeing a bunch of guys go for first round picks are over.

I would make the trade for Williams. Sure, we lose a second round pick. But in getting Williams, we would have three big targets for Drew in Colston, Williams and Meachem. I would like to believe that Terrence Copper, David Patten and Lance Moore will be brought back so that gives us a solid receiving corp. I think you allow some undrafted FA WRs with return ability to compete for that sixth and final spot and you're set. Williams can get deep, he's younger than Chad Johnson and he's a capable blocker.

I know that we need defense. But you don't ignore one side of the ball and solely focus on the other side. Improving means addressing those areas of the team where you have needs and those areas where you can make upgrades. Williams provides an upgrade. The Saints can still go out and sign a top tier LB like Briggs, a top flight CB, a middle-tier CB (who is capable of starting) and a guy like Faneca. In the draft, you go with either a DT or Phillips in the first. For argument sake, let's say Phillips. In the third, you go DT. I would not have a problem with that as long as the Saints go hard in free agency and try to sign guys who can come in and help out our defense.

I think that given Payton's affinity for passing the ball, we'll land a big time WR this offseason.

Sorry, no link.

If it comes down to a trade for Williams or Fitzgerald (rumor) I'd rather go for Fitz. Williams seems to have that injury bug and doesn't seem to get open as often as he should (I've had him on my FFL team in the past and he was disappointing).

At some point the Ford family has to realize that there's only been one constant throughout their mediocrity, and that's been Millen.

williams will leave Det. I hope we dont go after him. Im with Buickman, I would rather go after Fitz but we wont go after a FA WR or trade for one with our deficiencies on D.

Is Fitz a good blocker? I know Colston is, and another good blocker downfield could help Matrix. I've often seen him alone in space with no blocking, with minimal results. Sure, the D needs addressing, but sometimes other opportunities pop up. We don't know which FAs on D will be interested in even visiting NO, and I'm sure the brass has made that a priority for the draft. I'd offer a 2nd for Williams and let him play out the season. Should the injury bug strike again, then we could sign him at a discount. Meachem's health and value still has to be proven. Williams should crank out solid numbers in this O. I'd prefer Fitz, but we'll have to see if he becomes available. The Williams reports seem to have more credence right now.

Going after Williams wouldn't be a bad thing, but if I was a betting man I'd say Loomis' priorities, as far as WR goes, is to re-sign Patton and Copper. Patton's shown leadership and has been dependable, even showing some signs of being a little explosive. Copper has shown that he's more than willing to block downfield and play STs. He's become a pretty good coverage guy.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom