Lions might try to trade WR Roy Williams? (1 Viewer)

Stephen

Veteran Starter
Reaction score
Per Rotoworld:

Roy Williams-WR-Lions Jan. 13 - 12:16 pm et

MLive.com's Tom Kowalski believes the Lions will dangle Roy Williams in trade talks leading up to April's NFL Draft.
Williams will enter a contract year in 2008 and Kowalski expects him to leave in 2009 if the Lions can't execute a trade. If Williams is dealt, Calvin Johnson would take over as Detroit's "No. 1" receiver. Williams, the No. 7 overall pick in 2004, should at least command a second-round pick as compensation.
Source: MLive.com
Related: Calvin Johnson

I kind of like the idea of trading our second of Williams. It would upgrade our corps of pass droppers . . . um, I mean receivers.

Williams is a 1st round talent, I can't see them giving him up for less than a 1st.

Why would they do that? Who else does the Lions have as a WR threat? Would this be a cap move, or is Roy getting unhappy in Det? I think I've seen them play once this season. I can only assume that they have needs to be addressed,and are comfortable with some other youngster's development?

The only game of theirs I saw was the one on thanksgiving, so I don't really know how great he is, but if, as Rich says, they'd only take a first for him, then forget it.

do they pick after us? trade 1sts and throw in a 5th rounder....
i been dreaming a lot as of late, sorry fellas :)

we need too much on defense, but I could see him fitting in for these teams:

Eagles
Ravens
Jaguars
Titans

Man, Roy and Colston would be deadly. That being said, if we could give up a second to get him, i would do it in a heart beat, but it means that we would have to attack the FA market to get the D we need. But I cant see detroit dealing him for anything less than a first rounder.

Why would they do that? Who else does the Lions have as a WR threat? Would this be a cap move, or is Roy getting unhappy in Det? I think I've seen them play once this season. I can only assume that they have needs to be addressed,and are comfortable with some other youngster's development?

Well they dropped modest money for Mike Furrey last season, and as the #2 overall pick Calvin Johnson got a monster contract. They also still likely have some dead money from Mike Williams. So they have money tied up at that position and i'm sure Roy Williams is looking to get paid.

All of that said though, you wonder if this doesn't have something to do with Mike Martz. Roy Williams was a big fan of Martz. So was Kitna, and Kitna even publically criticized Martz's firing. But they can't get rid of Kitna (this year) and can make up a rationale for dumping Roy Williams. You wonder if Roy didn't make some comments privately that turned off Matt Millen.

Unbelievable Millen still has a job.

just like i said about chad johnson, i would love to have williams, but we have other things i'd rather address first.

He's a great player but I'd be worried about his injury history. He went on IR this year. Would take a very thorough medical for me to make a deal. I'm sure pizza delivery boys (or girls) in New Orleans will be hoping Loomis doesn't pull the trigger

Just when you thought Matt Millen couldn't get in dumber, he proves you wrong.

They would have to be crazy to trade him for a second. I would give a second round pick now for Roy Williams. No, I would give two second round picks for Williams--if a reasonable contract could be worked out.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom