Lions shopping Shaun Rodgers(MERGED) (1 Viewer)

Quite possible... but at this point... at least Shaun looks like a football player. Grady looks like Jaba the Hut in a helmet.

Rogers showed up to training camp this year at close to 400lbs. and Marinelli wouldn't let him practice till he lost some weight.

I would look into but you can't count the guy as a possible savior for the defense.

Rogers showed up to training camp this year at close to 400lbs. and Marinelli wouldn't let him practice till he lost some weight.

I would look into but you can't count the guy as a possible savior for the defense.

I heard about that... and I know Rogers' background (read my first post). I agree, that he is worth a look if the compensation/price is right.

Also, I am not the dreamer type that looks for a savior to bring our defense back to the Dome Patrol days.... I just want guys that don't stink out loud (like 90% of the guys we have now).

I heard about that... and I know Rogers' background (read my first post). I agree, that he is worth a look if the compensation/price is right.

Also, I am not the dreamer type that looks for a savior to bring our defense back to the Dome Patrol days.... I just want guys that don't stink out loud (like 90% of the guys we have now).

I agree we need to get some guys on defense that want to work to get back to the Dome Patrol days and I think we have some in Harper, Smith and McKenzie.

But more importantly we need guys who put together the work and desire with the talent and that is what we are lacking good old fashioned talent.

The Lions "shop" Rodgers every offseason and must be asking a mint for him because there's always little interest. Guys that have Rodgers talent on the DL are few and far between. It's a shame he has "Grady Jackson" syndrome. You know - the incredibly physically talented guy that gets by on that talent alone, isn't willing to work at getting better. For the right price, a late second day pick, he might be worth a look. If the Lions are looking for anything on day one....well let them keep looking.......

He would be worth a 4th even if he eventually fails. Grant, Rogers, Ellis and Smith on paper would be a great front four.

Not to suggest that we take a look at every recognizable name we see get cut or up for trade, but Rogers would certainly be worth a look. With a guy like Orgeron coaching the D-Line, perhaps the Saints could get a couple good years out of him before letting him hit the market, suckering in another team before he goes back to his lazy ways?

Not to suggest that we take a look at every recognizable name we see get cut or up for trade, but Rogers would certainly be worth a look. With a guy like Orgeron coaching the D-Line, perhaps the Saints could get a couple good years out of him before letting him hit the market, suckering in another team before he goes back to his lazy ways?

His salary would be the only thing potentially stopping me from trading for him.

• 2008 $4250000.00
  • 2009 $5250000.00
  • 2010 $7000000.00

Rogers' salary

That's a formidable price, although not necessarily overbearing, to pay for a guy like Rogers. I don't really know what type of deal he'd command if released.

With that said though, I wouldn't be upset at all if we took a chance on him. Sometimes a change of scenery can really do wonders for certain players. Much has been made about "the culture of losing" in Detroit and how hard it is to break through that funk. Now the Saints aren't exactly the most successful franchise in the NFL either, but we appear to be headed in the right direction. Maybe more than anything this guy just needs a fresh start. Even if he only stays motivated for a couple of years, that may be all we need from him. Players of his caliber can completely transform a defense (see: Haynesworth, Albert).

His salary would be the only thing potentially stopping me from trading for him.
  • 2008 $4250000.00
  • 2009 $5250000.00
  • 2010 $7000000.00
Rogers' salary

That's a formidable price, although not necessarily overbearing, to pay for a guy like Rogers. I don't really know what type of deal he'd command if released.

With that said though, I wouldn't be upset at all if we took a chance on him. Sometimes a change of scenery can really do wonders for certain players. Much has been made about "the culture of losing" in Detroit and how hard it is to break through that funk. Now the Saints aren't exactly the most successful franchise in the NFL either, but we appear to be headed in the right direction. Maybe more than anything this guy just needs a fresh start. Even if he only stays motivated for a couple of years, that may be all we need from him. Players of his caliber can completely transform a defense (see: Haynesworth, Albert).

The money is a very scariest thing you are investing top end money in a guy that may not be that.

Worst case scenario - Pay Per View fight to recover the signing bonus money when Orgeron and Rodgers have a falling out and challenge each other to a death match

Worst case scenario - Pay Per View fight to recover the signing bonus money when Orgeron and Rodgers have a falling out and challenge each other to a death match
Let's get it on!

517KFCABNXL._SX320_SY240_.jpg

He would be worth a 4th even if he eventually fails. Grant, Rogers, Ellis and Smith on paper would be a great front four.
I don't get that!? :dunno: Do you mean if he is a temporary fix for this season, or if he fails immediately? Bc if he fails immediately, I wouldn't give even a 7th for him. I don't care how it looks on paper.

I reported this about three weeks ago. I expext to see him cut. I doubt a team will surrender a first-day pick. While Rogers is definitely talented, you cannot put out that he's lazy and expect teams to just start sending draft choices. Because this has been speculated since the start of last season, I think cutting him might be the final resolution. That said, if he's cut, I would not mind taking a look at him as he can be a force inside. Even lazy, the guy makes a difference most of the time.
lazy is something you can fix. this guy has talent. maybe a fresh start in new orleans is what he needs. i would even trade a second day pick for him.

I say do it if you can add a weight clause to his contract that significantly cuts how much money he makes if he doesn't make weight.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom