List of 2019 Compensatory picks. (None for Saints.) (1 Viewer)

::in before someone claims it is a conspiracy against the Saints:::

Relax guys...this is just a product of being a team that is ALWAYS aggressive in free agency.

Some teams operate with comp pick ramifications in mind at all times; the Saints are not one of those teams and clearly could not care less about them.

If you question anything about this year's comp picks, click on this link, and it'll tell you everything you need to know. Who got them and why:

https://overthecap.com/compensatory-draft-picks-cancellation-chart/

This is why we did not get any:

NjEvWC4.png

We signed three players that qualify (only true unrestricted free agents qualify, not players that were cut or acquired via trade). In turn, we signed four qualifying players, thus negating our comp pick eligibility.

Last edited:
the rams were ultra aggressive last year in free agency if I remember correctly and they got 3rd round picks

the rams were ultra aggressive last year in free agency if I remember correctly and they got 3rd round picks

Except most of their acquisitions were done via trade and they lost some FAs who signed big $ deals (Johnson, Watkins).

The formula doesn’t factor in trade acquisitions. Only FA signings and losses.

Don't we get a 3rd if Teddy signs with another team? I read that somewhere but didn't know if it was true.

MWKcMf8.png

The players they acquired were all either guys that were cut, or they traded for them. Only true unrestricted free agents play a role in this, and they lost a pair of big money guys. It would not be surprising to me if this was intentional on their part to not pursue any expensive true UFAs.

As I said earlier, some teams choose to play the comp game religiously, others don't.

Don't we get a 3rd if Teddy signs with another team? I read that somewhere but didn't know if it was true.
Not sure about that. If so it won't be until next year, and would depend on what the Saints do in free agency. However, free agents need to complete their contracts to be included in the compensatory pick formula (cut/released players aren't counted). His contract was restructured, extending it for cap purposes, but structuring it so that it automatically voids the extra years at the end of the 2018 season making him a free agent, so I'm not sure how that will count.

...and here lies the problem with this "system".
The Jags, Vikings and Rams were the biggest spenders in free agency and both the Vikings and Rams both get comp picks.
I don't give a crap what designation you give a free agent, the Rams signed:
Suh
Ramik Wilson
Easley
Sullivan
Robey-Colman
Sam Shields

and traded for Cooks and Fowler

In no way should they deserve compensation for a loss.....

...and here lies the problem with this "system".
The Jags, Vikings and Rams were the biggest spenders in free agency and both the Vikings and Rams both get comp picks.
I don't give a crap what designation you give a free agent, the Rams signed:
Suh
Ramik Wilson
Easley
Sullivan
Robey-Colman
Sam Shields

and traded for Cooks and Fowler

In no way should they deserve compensation for a loss.....
Completely agree. Compensatory picks were initially conceived with the idea that smaller market teams would have trouble retaining free agents, who would naturally favor larger market teams, so picks could be assigned to help provide balance. But that's not how it's worked out, and instead certain teams have learned how to work the system. I think they should just be done away with.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom