Listen to this bull (1 Viewer)

saintsmarchin

ALL-MADDEN TEAM
Reaction score
NFL | Stiff arms to face could become a 15-yard penalty
Mon, 31 Mar 2008 18:14:43 -0700

Charean Williams, of the Fort Worth Star-Telegram, reports the NFL's competition committee is recommending officials make stiff arms to the face a 15-yard penalty in 2008. Tennessee Titans head coach and co-chairman of the competition committee Jeff Fisher said "grabbing on or twisting" the face mask by an offensive player on a defensive player will be a 15-yard face mask penalty. Offensive players also will be flagged 15 yards for illegal hands to the face if they shove a defensive player backward with a stiff arm to the face, according to Fisher.

Not Good News for tha Duece, that's his best move!!! :)
colston too..

Attachments

• colston.bmp
    131.9 KB · Views: 18
  • dd.jpg
    dd.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:
Haha I always used to think to myself that it was awesome Deuce could get away with that.

I can understand a 15-yarder if the ball carrier blatantly grabs the face mask and twists it ... but for simple stiff arm to the face? That's a bit overboard.

I guess whats good for the goose is good for the gander, but I'm not sure I like this idea.

Never really understood the point in having a 5 yard penalty for a defensive player accidently slapping their hand on a offensive players face mask, but it was perfectly legal for offensive players to damn near shove defenders heads off their shoulders with their hands, when they are going in for a tackle.

I guess it will be enforced like the new face mask rule, if its unintentional its not penalized but if you grab and twist purposely its flagged. I agree, anyone who has ever played knows that if a child grabs you by the face mask you are at that child's mercy. Its just not fair to let a player grab and twist on a face mask. I'm happy with the new changes like the force out and the 5yd face mask penalty being removed. This eliminates a petty foul and makes receptions more clear cut, your either in or your not better get both feet down.

Yea Deuce has manhandled some guys over the years with that kind of stiff arm. In all it's probably a good move, they're making it more fair for the defense I guess.

All a running back will be able to do is run right over people or run around them. So you will need Reggie type back or a Bettis style.

I always wondered why it was OK for the ballcarrier to do it, btu illegal for the defender to even touch the facemask... LT ripped the guy from StLou's helmet off... I like the rule... the offense has too many rules to help them.

i don't like this rule... i've always thought that a good stiffarm served to impress upon D players the necessity of proper tackling technique

Huge boo to this rule. Using the fact that its ok for an offensive player to do it and not ok for a defensive player to do it is just nonsense. The guy running the ball is sole target of 11 people. He should be able to do whatever he needs to do to protect his body. If there is a blatant fasemask grab and twist, ok - but illegal hands to the face? Thats football, get over it.

Is there another kind?? :scratch:

Yea I would say some of the better backs in the NFL try to do both. Deuce will try going around someone but does not always have the speed to so he uses the stiff arm to his advantage. Walter Peyton had a great stiff arm so did Emit. They would do both and maybe in the same play.

90% of the time Reggie will try to go around.

90% of the time Bettis would try to go over you.

They both used the stiff arm but not very often, at least not as much as the other backs.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom