Listen to this guy... (1 Viewer)

livefromDC

Subscribing Member
VIP Subscribing Member
Reaction score
How did you interpret this thread title? Did you expect the post that followed to be sarcastic, angry, informative? So much of our communication is now done over abbreviated sentences and phrases (heck emojis) that I find that I'm missing the intent more often, because there's no context clues.

If someone sent you a video with the message "listen to this" or "listen to this guy", how do you know if you're supposed to take the video serious or not? Of course that's what happened to me today. After watching the video, I didn't know if I was supposed to be agreeing with the guy in the video or ridiculing him.

My wife likes to answer texts with emoji and no words. I don't speak emojis. I don't know what a cat face is supposed to mean. If I ask, she thinks I'm being facetious. Actual conversation:

Me: I re-injured my back loading the dishwasher.
Her: emoji picture of a deer
Me: What's that? Is that a deer? Anyway, I'm going to lay down.
Her: thumbs up emoji
Me: Okay, umm...does that mean yes, that's a deer or I agree you should lay down?
Her: Smh...go lay down
Me: So was that bambi? What's the story with the deer?
Her: Just a sad deer/dear
Me: You have a weird way of showing your love.
Her: puzzled face emoji
Me: I don't think this is love at all.
Her: I can't with you [another emoji face]
Me: I don't understand emojis..what the hell does that one mean? I'm giving you words and you're give me anthropomorphic deer and yellow dots
Her: thumbs up

Anyway...what phrases can you think of that can could be interpreted the wrong way or what emojis do you have trouble interpreting?

I would just tell my wife I would no longer answer texts made up of emojis.

I don't see this ending well for you.

Just reply to emoji with dank memes. It doesn't matter which ones or if you think you know what they mean. Refuse to clarify if she asks what they mean.

Just reply to emoji with dank memes. It doesn't matter which ones or if you think you know what they mean. Refuse to clarify if she asks what they mean.

OP it's like the entirety of 20th century art is lost on you
both Einstein and Picasso showed us, interpretation is observer dependent
you are holding to a Newtonian/Da Vinci fixed reference point way of communicating and the world is just whizzing by you

:facts:

Forget Emojis, I have to get in my kids for their lack of respect for simple punctuation. Half the the time i don't know if they are asking me a question or being wise ashes.

By far my favorite ��

Edit: go SR for editing out the bird

Is your wife 10-15 years younger than you?

it is funny, one of my daughter's friend's has a phone, but I usually text the mother to make plans. The mom is definitely younger than us, and it shows in how she texts. Very upbeat though!

What's funny, is the daughter started texting me one day, and it was like.. too much kid energy.. so, I can appreciate the OP's issue with emoji's and all that. It quickly turns into, "ok kiddo, I'll talk it over with your mom, have her text me... good bye"

I created an account on one of those free texting apps for our tablet. I let my daughter use it when I had to step out for an hour. She's younger than I'd like to leave alone, but she was sick and not going anywhere, but I still wanted to be able to check on her every few minutes. within 5 minutes, I had to tell her to stop texting me, unless I asked her something. Good lord.. It's like old school phone etiquette, that had to be learned when you had no idea who was answering the phone.... now we'll have to teach proper texting etiquette.

Is your wife 10-15 years younger than you?

it is funny, one of my daughter's friend's has a phone, but I usually text the mother to make plans. The mom is definitely younger than us, and it shows in how she texts. Very upbeat though!

What's funny, is the daughter started texting me one day, and it was like.. too much kid energy.. so, I can appreciate the OP's issue with emoji's and all that. It quickly turns into, "ok kiddo, I'll talk it over with your mom, have her text me... good bye"

I created an account on one of those free texting apps for our tablet. I let my daughter use it when I had to step out for an hour. She's younger than I'd like to leave alone, but she was sick and not going anywhere, but I still wanted to be able to check on her every few minutes. within 5 minutes, I had to tell her to stop texting me, unless I asked her something. Good lord.. It's like old school phone etiquette, that had to be learned when you had no idea who was answering the phone.... now we'll have to teach proper texting etiquette.

Heck yeah she's younger! 2 months and 3 days. Yep, Ol' LivefromDC is robbing the cradle! Young chicks dig me, I guess. [High fives all around]

Ok, so maybe she's not that much younger than me.

I don't see this ending well for you.

e76fac078b008cff02cb2264fa84f5ed.jpg
hocho.png
interpretation-eek-i-just-saw-something-x-rated.jpg
7d87d075bf2aaa62ba18bb469df8d303.png

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom