Listening to an album on "shuffle" (1 Viewer)

Listening to an album

• Should be in proper sequence

Votes: 23 76.7%
  • I don't mind shuffle

Votes: 3 10.0%
  • I don't listen to full albums

Votes: 1 3.3%
  • Tacoes

Votes: 3 10.0%

• Total voters

superchuck500

tiny changes
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Diamond VIP Contributor
Reaction score
In my recent months of listening to new albums on Spotify, I find that the default "shuffle" play really annoys me more than you would think - it's almost subconscious.

But I think it's because I firmly believe that an album should be listened to in its sequence set by the artist - at least for the first many listenings, until you have fully digested it. I'm not talking so much about just picking the cuts you like at first, we all do that. But when you just want to play the record and listen to it. It seems to me that to really "get it" - to understand the full work that the artist created, you should listen to it in sequence.

Do y'all agree? Or does shuffle play not bother you? Do you not even listen to full records anymore?

If I'm listening to a full album, I'm going to listen to it in order. The only time I use shuffle play is when I'm shuffling a playlist or my entire collection. I'd never want to use shuffle on an album.

When listening to my ipod on shuffle/random, I've found it is anything but random, and when restarted will play the same songs and artists over and over. I noticed the same thing 25+ years ago with my 6-disc cd changer. So I don't use random :hihi:

I always listen in order. Many of the songs on the albums I listen to lead into the next song, so I like the continuity....

I firmly believe that an album should be listened to on a double gatefold LP wearing big fat Koss headphones while metabolizing Chemdawg91 and sipping an ice cold Dixie Beer.

TACOES.

:rock:

When I workout, I like to listen to a variation of bands. So, on shuffle. When I'm listening to an album in its entirety.. in sequence.

I'm an "album" guy. I have never used the shuffle setting on my MP3 player, computer or anything else. I don't even have oddball single tracks on my hard drives. It's the whole album or nothing. But I rarely use those things anyway, since I work from home I put a super nice vintage stereo setup in my home office and spin records all day.

I use shuffle sometimes on playlists I've created in Spotify.

Albums I typically listen to in order. Depends on the mood I'm in as well. Sometimes there are only certain songs on an album I want to hear. Typically for the first listen or two I listen in order just to get to know the songs.

I have found that the shuffle option does repeat the same songs in the same order and it irritates me so I've been using it less frequently.

Shuffle album unless it's Pink Floyd. Spotify shuffle is terrible tho.

I guess it depends on the context.

If it's an artist I'm really into be it rock, prog rock, metal, jazz, ect. I want to listen to the album as it was intended from beginning to end.

If it's something like Swamp Pop or dance music or whatever obviously there isn't much to it being in sequence.

I always listen in order. Many of the songs on the albums I listen to lead into the next song, so I like the continuity....
And there are certain songs which cannot EVER be played out of order like Rush's 2112 Overture/Temples of Syrinx.

And there are certain songs which cannot ever be played out of order like Rush's 2112 Overture/Temples of Syrinx.

Indeed!

Boston: Foreplay/Longtime
APP: Sirius/Eye in the Sky
Wilco: Red Eyed & Blue/I Got You (at the End of the Century)
Pixies: Palace of the Brine/Letter to Memphis
Queen: Rock You/Champions

Many, many more . . .

Indeed!

Boston: Foreplay/Longtime
APP: Sirius/Eye in the Sky
Wilco: Red Eyed & Blue/I Got You (at the End of the Century)
Pixies: Palace of the Brine/Letter to Memphis
Queen: Rock You/Champions

Many, many more . . .
Cars - Moving in Stereo/All Mixed Up
Elton john - Funeral for a Friend/Love Lies Bleeding

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom