Living Off of Drew Brees (1 Viewer)

Bodega-a16 GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY
Yeah, it's possibly one of the most nonsensical things I've read here outside of a Swimmer post.

As a true homer for Drew, I have to say if that was the case, shouldn't he have been winning superbowls in SD? It was the support and connection he had with Sean that made everything magically work.
Anytime the "franchise QB" conversation comes up, I mention to people that true support from your coach (and him being a good one) goes further than skill. The skill can be there but if there is no one that believes in it and can harness it, it is worthless. Think about how refreshing it must have felt for Drew to leave the craziness in SD to get to NO.

Anytime the "franchise QB" conversation comes up, I mention to people that true support from your coach (and him being a good one) goes further than skill. The skill can be there but if there is no one that believes in it and can harness it, it is worthless. Think about how refreshing it must have felt for Drew to leave the craziness in SD to get to NO.
They both elevated each other. But Sean proved over his last few seasons here that he could adapt and survive without a first-ballot Hall of Famer lining up behind center. Look at how "well" Belichick is doing without Timmy Brady.

I firmly believe that if it wasn't for Drew Brees our Saints would still be known as the loveable losers. It wasn't Payton's playcalling or leadership because we now see what's happening to the team without Payton. They have nothing left to give. Payton built this organization around his personality which was its downfall. Drew Brees was trying to win Super Bowls.
Really? I thought we put that notion to bed, w/ Sean having a winning record w/ 4 different QBs. Don't kid yourself Sean was the straw that stirred the drink.

They did it together. The question going forward for Sean Payton is, can I find another Drew Brees?

His philosophy of match-up football must have a quarterback that can execute it the way he wants it executed. Without that, there is nothing special about his offense and he's unhappy running it.

It wasn't Payton's playcalling or leadership because we now see what's happening to the team without Payton.
There are lots of things in the post that I don't agree with, and, yeah, coach and QB both. But your post isn't even internally consistent. You're saying that the fact that the team went down the tubes as soon as Payton left shows that Payton didn't have a strong positive influence on the team . . . Some evidence for the opposite, no?

Yeah, it's possibly one of the most nonsensical things I've read here outside of a Swimmer post.
He’s actually not far off base. I disagree with him as I believe that SP was trying to win championships. SP did have some very glaring shortcomings with things off of the field. There were many things that I wish SP would’ve done differently to be honest. SP’s biggest downfall (and the reason why we don’t have more than one championship) was his timing. He held onto certain coaches too long. He took too long putting an emphasis on the defensive side of the ball. Some games, his scripted first 15 plays put us behind the 8 ball in key games. Sometimes when we needed to go uptempo, he would still rather substitute and take forever with the play call. Even throwing away picks in the draft can be considered putting us behind in time. Sorry, I just look at things from a realistic perspective. I do love SP, but he was far from perfect, but he was great enough for us, and no matter how great he was, he isn’t free from critique

Payton built this team around his personality which was his downfall?

I'll settle for 16 years of "downfall." Yes, please.

I think you guys are afraid to admit it coudl be ANOTHER 20 years before we find lightning in a bottle in a head coach like Sean and a QB like Drew together at the same time.

Hell it could be another 30 years before we have that embarassment of riches.

He’s actually not far off base. I disagree with him as I believe that SP was trying to win championships. SP did have some very glaring shortcomings with things off of the field. There were many things that I wish SP would’ve done differently to be honest. SP’s biggest downfall (and the reason why we don’t have more than one championship) was his timing. He held onto certain coaches too long. He took too long putting an emphasis on the defensive side of the ball. Some games, his scripted first 15 plays put us behind the 8 ball in key games. Sometimes when we needed to go uptempo, he would still rather substitute and take forever with the play call. Even throwing away picks in the draft can be considered putting us behind in time. Sorry, I just look at things from a realistic perspective. I do love SP, but he was far from perfect, but he was great enough for us, and no matter how great he was, he isn’t free from critique
There's nothing wrong with critiquing Payton. The statement that Meily highlighted that I was also commenting on:

It wasn't Payton's playcalling or leadership because we now see what's happening to the team without Payton.

We're doing worse without Payton's play calling and leadership, so part of what we miss is clearly Payton's play calling and leadership. At least compared to the current regime.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom