Lofton and Hawthorne in coverage? (1 Viewer)

Kicks

All-Pro
Reaction score
I've heard it said that in a 3-4 that Lofton and Hawthorne would have to cover but they lack in those skills. Any thoughts on this?

Saint_Ward

Don't be a Jerk.
Staff member
Administrator
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
LB's cover in all defenses.....

Otherwise, that would be a constant 7 man blitz. Just saying.

meily

More than 15K posts served!
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
They will be find in the middle....i'm sure they will give up plays in the passing game, but so does Willis and Bowman (not comparing).

SaintBrad

Very Banned
Reaction score
I've heard it said that in a 3-4 that Lofton and Hawthorne would have to cover but they lack in those skills. Any thoughts on this?
There not good in man to man against TEs. But the 3-4 normally doesn't call for that to happen with your ILBs. They normally watch the backfield or play a zone under cutting short routes to the inside or blitzing

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Blessedog

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score
Not so sure that Martez Wilson won't be one of the ILB from what I learned in the 1 gap vs 2 gap thread. He seems much more suited for that.

60minutes

Camp Body
Reaction score
Hawthorne was actually considered a solid coverage LB with Seattle. I agree, ignore the Falcons fans.

CaliSaint4Life

Amakakeru Ryu no Hirameki
VIP Contributor
Approved Blogger
Reaction score
Stop reading the Falcons forums.:9:
Hahahaha! Hilarous.

To the OP, Hawthorne played MIKE the year before he came to us and he was a good player in coverage. Not elite like Vilma was but above average. As for Lofton, he's a below average coverage player, simple as that. Not terrible but he's not the player you want in coverage a lot.

ELLIASJWILLIAMS

VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Hahahaha! Hilarous.

To the OP, Hawthorne played MIKE the year before he came to us and he was a good player in coverage. Not elite like Vilma was but above average. As for Lofton, he's a below average coverage player, simple as that. Not terrible but he's not the player you want in coverage a lot.
@ all. If there is a RB coming out of the backfiled with speed.....Lofton is the wrong person to have on him. Hes going to get there and lay a lick...but if ur expecting him to be within reach of the ballcarrier as soon as he catches it..ALA Bowman its not happening. Lofton is always a step or 2 behind in coverage and being 6'0 means that its easier to throw it over his head 2. One of the reasons id like to get a taller MLB to help clog up those lanes in the middle.

RaisingTheBar

The Voice of Reason
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
There not good in man to man against TEs. But the 3-4 normally doesn't call for that to happen with your ILBs. They normally watch the backfield or play a zone under cutting short routes to the inside or blitzing

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
What this guy said.

CitySaint

SR is my life!
Reaction score
Lofton and Hawthorne are not even comparable to Willis and Bowman even from a coverage standpoint. If you want to say interior 3-4 will minimize them being exposed I suppose thats possible, but if an offense wants to attack them in coverage they will design plays to test them and the majority of the time the offense will be on the winning end.

meily

VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Lofton and Hawthorne are not even comparable to Willis and Bowman even from a coverage standpoint. If you want to say interior 3-4 will minimize them being exposed I suppose thats possible, but if an offense wants to attack them in coverage they will design plays to test them and the majority of the time the offense will be on the winning end.
Simular to how Payton attacks Willis/Bowman with Sproles...

Analyze This

increase after a decline
Reaction score
Not many LB in the NFL are comparable to Willis and Bowman but if you compare them to other 3-4 ILBs Lofton and Hawthorne stack up pretty well.

SD: T. Spikes & D. Williams
WAS: L. Fletcher & P. Riley
PIT: L. Foote & L. Timmons
NYJ: B.Scott & D.Harris
KC: B.Siler & D. Johnson
IND: J. Freeman & M. Harvey
HOU: B.Cushing & B. James
GB: A. Hawk & B. Jones
BAL: R. Lewis & D.Ellerbe
ARZ: D.Washington & P. Lenon

DownWithDisease

Very Banned
Reaction score
I know it's unlikely, but is it possible that BOTH Lofton and Hawthorne won't be back next season? The defense is about to see wholesale changes, and neither one of these guys are experienced in the 3-4.

If Maryez Wilson really is best suited as an ILB in the 3-4, that fills one spot, then we'd just have to fill 1 spot with another player that has experience in the 3-4 and has better coverage ability. Maybe a FA like Larry Grant from the 49ers, or draft a player like Shane Skov out of Stanford or even Alec Ogletree?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

New Orleans Saints Twitter Feed

Headlines

Top Bottom