Lofton and Hawthorne in coverage? (1 Viewer)

I know it's unlikely, but is it possible that BOTH Lofton and Hawthorne won't be back next season? The defense is about to see wholesale changes, and neither one of these guys are experienced in the 3-4.

If Maryez Wilson really is best suited as an ILB in the 3-4, that fills one spot, then we'd just have to fill 1 spot with another player that has experience in the 3-4 and has better coverage ability. Maybe a FA like Larry Grant from the 49ers, or draft a player like Shane Skov out of Stanford or even Alec Ogletree?

@ all. If there is a RB coming out of the backfiled with speed.....Lofton is the wrong person to have on him. Hes going to get there and lay a lick...but if ur expecting him to be within reach of the ballcarrier as soon as he catches it..ALA Bowman its not happening. Lofton is always a step or 2 behind in coverage and being 6'0 means that its easier to throw it over his head 2. One of the reasons id like to get a taller MLB to help clog up those lanes in the middle.

Ok Ellias, you got a blog yet? 9 out of 10 you make sense. I might not agree with all of it, but I'm man enough to admit I've learned something.

I know it's unlikely, but is it possible that BOTH Lofton and Hawthorne won't be back next season? The defense is about to see wholesale changes, and neither one of these guys are experienced in the 3-4.

If Maryez Wilson really is best suited as an ILB in the 3-4, that fills one spot, then we'd just have to fill 1 spot with another player that has experience in the 3-4 and has better coverage ability. Maybe a FA like Larry Grant from the 49ers, or draft a player like Shane Skov out of Stanford or even Alec Ogletree?

Who says Tez is best suited for inside??? He's built like a 3- OLB and his last two DC's used him to pressure the passer!!!

Impression: A long, V-cut linebacker who doesn't seem to have the lower body girth to hold up inside. However, he has some range in pursuit, reads his run keys well and exhibits some pass-rush ability. Could get some long looks as a potential 3-4 rush guy as well as strong side back in a 4-3.

Here is some draft info about him.

Run defense: Gap-attacking defender who uses his length to bring down most backs in the hole. Lanky-framed linebacker with fair upper-body development. Extends his long arms to keep offensive linemen at an arm's length as they try to reach him. Works his way through traffic near the line. Better when he sling-shots around blockers than trying to stack-and-shed. Good speed to get the angle down the sideline to minimize big plays.

Pass defense: Gets a hand on receivers crossing over the middle to knock them off their routes. Good speed to get deep in his drop. Runs the seam with receivers, sometimes 40-50 yards downfield. Great length and speed to affect passing lanes when focusing on the quarterback.

Tackling: One of the leading tacklers in the country, relying on his length and speed. Not usually explosive upon contact but slows down backs and makes a lot of ankle tackles when other linebackers would not even get a hand on the ballcarrier.

Pass Rush/Blitz: Uses his slim frame to get skinny through holes inside to regularly bring down running backs in the backfield. Also uses length and speed to beat tackles outside with swim or rip moves. Very good closing speed to the quarterback.

Who says Tez is best suited for inside??? He's built like a 3- OLB and his last two DC's used him to pressure the passer!!!

Prior to his being drafted, many draft "experts" viewed Martez Wilson's best NFL "fit" to be as an ILB in a 3-4 scheme. Keep in mind also, that the year he came out, Wilson was the top rated ILB prospect in his draft class. Also, there are some folks around here (in various threads) that make a strong argument for Wilson assuming a spot as an ILB in our new 3-4.

Impression: A long, V-cut linebacker who doesn't seem to have the lower body girth to hold up inside. However, he has some range in pursuit, reads his run keys well and exhibits some pass-rush ability. Could get some long looks as a potential 3-4 rush guy as well as strong side back in a 4-3.

Here is some draft info about him.

This must be Martez.

Ok Ellias, you got a blog yet? 9 out of 10 you make sense. I might not agree with all of it, but I'm man enough to admit I've learned something.

Lol i try to remember plays where a guy is in good coverage and still gets beat and then try to draw a conclusion.

That pass that Tony G caught in the Endzone over Lofton....he was step for step with him and got depth on his drop. However because he cant locate the ball, and is considerably shorter than the TE hes matched up against the ball was thrown over him and fell right into Gonzales bread basket.

If that happens on a play when he had good position (which is rare) then u can only imagine what happesn on plays when hes out of position.

Now if we could pair with with OgleTree it would be a step in the right direction. We get some speed and length in those drops. Also get a guy who can make plays on the ball. Lofton is really a thumper but u don't see to man splash plays but hes very sound and a leader. He'll replace vilma quite well in the middle.

He may end up only a backup quality OLB or ILB but he looks the part!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom