Lofton is having a good season (1 Viewer)

recon505

All-Pro
Reaction score
I thought that Lofton had a great game against Detroit especially(13tackles with 3 assists). Wouldn't a draft pick or free agent signing be a good idea to replace Haralson and Hawthorn? To me except for Junior and Lofton our LBs are invisible during games.
The only time I see Lofton having trouble is when our D-tackles aren't getting a good push thus freeing O-Linemen to attack the LBs.

That hit on joique bell was sick. Never seen lofton hit someone that hard and I'm surprised both guys got up from that. Lofton has been playing his *** off. Unfortunately we can't say that for the rest of the defense.

And Lofton isn't as bad in coverage as many think. I think Hawthorne is a pretty good linebacker, but he and Lofton both fit the same mold. Lofton needs someone who is more complimentary. I don't think Haralson is a problem although I'm not sure he is a full time starter. The guy is not one for making mistakes so it's hard to really knock him when he will likely give you what he's got and not make a mistake thats costs you a game.

I have no complaints towards Lofton. He's doing his job out there, and is the defenses work horse. I don't think Hawthorne is doing bad, he just needs a little more help when it comes to the defensive line, but overall I don't see why we should trade him.

1 of them will be here next year, 1 won't, most likely. I think Lofton should stick around and we have to spend something to get a more complimentary player next to him. He really has played very well this year. He is the more expensive of the 2, but Hawthorne has just never impressed me.

Haralson is fine as a edge-setter, if they are seeing things they like from Powell as a pass rusher, then the '15 OLB platoon can work.

For better or for worse, next year depends an awful lot on how SJB (and to some degree, Powell) learns the system and is ready to take on a major role, >=50% snaps. If these guys are both contributors, the big holes on D (coverage ILB) are relatively easy to fill and some more resources can be allocated elsewhere (interior Oline, please!).

If SJB and Powell are flops, oh jeez, well, I don't want to think about it right now.

Correction: Lofton is playing great! He has easily been the best player on defense for us this year. I haven't seen him get burnt in coverage either. He's hitting hard and doing a really good job of fighting off blockers.

Lofton is defensive MVP this season, no doubt. With those who are saying our LB'ers are a problem. I don't agree with that. Lofton is playing at a Pro Bowl level, and Gallete is on pace for last year's sack totals, which is what we expected from him. Parys Haralson is fantastic on the edge against the run and can get pressure on quarterbacks when schemed to do so. Although I would say Hawthorne hasn't lived up to my expectations, he is still playing at a high level. The only thing I think we really miss is a nickel LB'er who we can plug in our nickel and dime packages. We were SO lucky to have Vilma be that guy AND also the director of the defense on the field. Vilma was a really special player for us.

I got tired of seeing him miss his gap or get eaten up by a blocker. Hell, he'd even be in position to make the tackle but either whiff or get trucked. This year he has played MUCH better and I'm liking seeing someone fill the gaps and hit hard. Especially at the LB position.

If our defensive tackles eat blocks like they're supposed to do, that frees up Hawthorne to make tackles in the backfield like we saw last year.

It all starts up front. In the 3-4/4-4 we've been playing it relies heavily on the tackles to get penetration and attract double teams. Hicks and Bunkley have been a disappointment, thus causing the linebackers to be blocked leading to more holes for the rb

If the defensive line, namely the interior and Jordan, step up their level of play, linebacker play will increase substantially.

Thanks bringing this up. He's my defensive MVP also.

He brings the wood. And when he meets a RB in the gap, he's dropping them.

I raise a glass for our Thumper. Way to go C-Lo.

Good post OP. Lofton is one of the few that's taken care of business. Failclowns were stupid to let him walk. However, thats not surprising given their history of letting their only good players out the door. lol

Lofton was a beast @ Detroit. The hit on Joique Bell and I think he had a big play on 3rd and 1 if I remember correctly.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom