Logic puzzles (1 Viewer)

Remember the logic puzzle with the dude with the raft? You had to get the family across the river, but there were all sorts of stipulations. I never solved that one either.

There are 3 sacks of gold.
One sack is fake gold.
The gold pieces in the real gold bags weigh 1lb each.
The fake gold pieces weighs one lb and 1oz each.

You have a scale that will give you one measurement only. How do you use the scale to tell which bag is fake?
Combine 1 from first bag 2 from the second and 3 from the third. If the result is 1 oz over the expected 6 pounds the first bag is fake. 2 oz over the second etc...

Works for any number of bags assuming there is enough pieces in each bag.

Take two gold pieces out of one bag, and one gold piece out another.

If you get exactly 3 lbs, both those bags are real and the unweighed bag is fake.

If you get 3 lbs 2 oz , the bag you weighed which you took two gold pieces out of is fake

If you get 3 lbs 1 oz, the bag you weighed which you took one gold piece out of is fake.

I've seen similar problems like this with bottles of pills.

Edit: Corrected for oz not decimal measurement Imperial sux.

Edit2: I see the problem is that each gold piece weighs 1 lb, not the entire bag.

Last edited:
Remember the logic puzzle with the dude with the raft? You had to get the family across the river, but there were all sorts of stipulations. I never solved that one either.

yes I solved that one. But I seem to remember it as mom and dad and kids having to get through a pass walking single file with a lantern.

yes I solved that one. But I seem to remember it as mom and dad and kids having to get through a pass walking single file with a lantern.
Maybe there were different versions, but my memory is correct on the puzzle. They even had a criminal on one side. You could leave the dad with the criminal, but not the wife and kids. It was solvable, but it had to be done in an exact sequence. I spent a while trying to figure it out....then just said fork it and never looked back. lol

Maybe there were different versions, but my memory is correct on the puzzle. They even had a criminal on one side. You could leave the dad with the criminal, but not the wife and kids. It was solvable, but it had to be done in an exact sequence. I spent a while trying to figure it out....then just said fork it and never looked back. lol

could have been similar math which is the important part. Most of the time it’s just a matter of thinking outside the box for one little part and the rest almost solves itself.

So we’re to assume @tomwaits never had a solution ?
He just dropped the puzzle and ghosted and is snickering at us while eating his Capn Crunch

Id bet money that you are correct on the put two bags on the scale. They almost all go that way. One does nothing and three does nothing. But I would assume there is another part saying you can’t tell which is heavier so I don’t think we know all the parameters

Take ‘em all to the local pawn shop. They’ll do a chemical test and let you know. Then, invest the profits in a better scale/balance that will give you more than one result during its duty cycle.

Take ‘em all to the local pawn shop. They’ll do a chemical test and let you know. Then, invest the profits in a better scale/balance that will give you more than one result during its duty cycle.
But isn’t there value in devices that remind you of the ephemeral nature of existence?
A scale that always works seems like it would set you up to be surprised/ disappointed that life is but a walking shadow

Last edited:
Logic puzzles can always be solved if you sketch them out. Here's my sketch of the posted problem and its solution:
1615137362726.png

plus

1615137297689.png

equals happiness.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom