LOL, Florio (Brees arm strength) (2 Viewers)

Saint Spud

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score
Sticky Post
Says the game should’ve ended earlier because Brees should have hit Ginn in stride for a TD. Says we need to watch and see if his arm strength declining.

Brees threw a dart off his back foot under pressure. Not sure how many QBs in the league would've been able to do that in that situation.

Last edited:

Kyle brister

VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Um, Nick Saban didnt pass on him. The dolphins doctors said he would never be the same. I'm sure you can find that on google if you want to take the time. Worked out for us.
But Culpepper would? That's smoke & mirrors. Andrews guaranteed a full recovery. Isn't he a medical doctor?

OP
OP

Saint Spud

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score
Grainy, but go to about 1:15 mark.

48 yards in the air, tight spiral, in stride.

Yeah, that was gorgeous. He also had no one near him and stepped into the throw. I’m guessing it wouldn’t look that much different now.

His arm strength has likely declined. Not arguing that. But PFT putting out an entire article around it insinuates that it is a big deal. It’s not. And it also uses a really poor example, IMO.

Kyle brister

VIP Contributor
Reaction score
The limit was about 50 but look at the velocity, tight spiral and dropped in stride.

He can still do that but it's not quite as consistent. Used to be near automatic.

Again not a knock. When you go from near perfection to very good, people will still notice.
Have you ever seen the GREAT Archie manning throw? about 75% pf his balls looked like wounded ducks going down the field. That pass to Ginn looked beautiful to me. But it was Brees limit. What about the ball that Williams intercepted? You think anything is wrong with Watson's arm?

Chopper Man

Super Forum Fanatic
Reaction score
Drew with two arms tied behind his back is a better QB than most everyone in the league. You can measure arm strength but the intelligence to use that arm is where the real measurement should be. He still reads defenses like its nobody's business.

blackadder

...from a chicken, bugwit
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
You're a great poster, but you buying into something that just isn't true. He has limitations & when you see these young bucks coming out of college throwing it 70 yards down the field it makes you feel like they have something Brees doesn't have. And these yohos who don't know QB from a 5 gallon bucket continue to make the same idiotic claims against this guy that have been made since high school use the one pass where he doesn't do everything perfectly to discredit him.
I'm not comparing him to them because you are right he has never been that.

I'm just considering what I am seeing and agree with Guillermo that there are some staples that used to be in the game plan that are no longer called. One i noted what the dart down the seam to Colston, tight and precise where only Colston could go up and get it.

Now, maybe part of the answer there is no one else on the rosters since has been able to be trusted with a throw like that. I just know the spirals are less consistently tight. No worries. Remember Billy Kilmer. Style points don't matter.

Reaction score
I’ve been a fan of this team long enough to know that if we get a good-great player the media tries to say something negative about them. I remember reading about Deuce being slow and how he couldn’t get skinny going through the line. I also remember reading about PT and how he had fumbling issues. I even remember hearing negative things about Wes Chandler when he was on the team. So what I’m saying is I hope Drew reads that and prints out a copy of it. Then after being named the league MVP wins his second super bowl and is named the games mvp he pulls the copy out of his pants and holds it up as a big old fu.

Day1

AA, XR, 602
Reaction score
Let him drill you (naysayers) in the face from 40 yards and you will earn your "expert" badge. I think five more yards and he leads Ginn into the safety.

Last edited:

blackadder

VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Yeah, that was gorgeous. He also had no one near him and stepped into the throw. I’m guessing it wouldn’t look that much different now.

His arm strength has likely declined. Not arguing that. But PFT putting out an entire article around it insinuates that it is a big deal. It’s not. And it also uses a really poor example, IMO.
There's a grain of truth to it.

And every time he throws an INT or misses a throw this year you're going to hear the media harp on it.

Build them up, tear them down. With the exception they have generally tried to avoid building Brees up.

Kyle brister

VIP Contributor
Reaction score
i'd much rather him throw the ball 43 yards tight on a line & make the completion than show his arm off & overthrow Ginn by 5 yards because he could launch it 60 yards. I watched Trubisky do that about three times the other night. And he led his team to a field goal at home.

OP
OP

Saint Spud

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score
There's a grain of truth to it.

And every time he throws an INT or misses a throw this year you're going to hear the media harp on it.

Build them up, tear them down. With the exception they have generally tried to avoid building Brees up.
To which part? That it’s declined slightly or that it’s a big deal?

blackadder

VIP Contributor
Reaction score

So this wasn't a tight spiral?
It was a spiral.

I'm not going to die on a hill of turning this into a "Brees has declined". I don't think overall he has declined at all as a QB. Everything is relative.

As said, it's the been difference between being perfect/automatic to being a little less automatic. He's been so consistent and so good for so long we've been spoiled. And the biased media is going to be the biased media.

DCSaints_Fan

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score
Here's my theory on this: If Brees sees that the deep man has beat his receiver, then he will err towards possibly underthrowing him. Because an underthrown ball the reciever can at least slow down and leap up to catch it. On an overthrown ball then cannot get to it. And if the DB is beat clean, then he will either have to turn his head to locate the ball, or run into the receiver and risk a PI call.

SoggyBottomBoy

I'm with you fellers.
Staff member
Administrator
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I think Fiorio has a point. We all know his arm strength is not the same. It makes Drew a different quarterback and certainly our offense does not rely on the long ball as years before.

I don’t see why you get so offended.

Drew is a better quarterback then five years ago, but his arm is not as strong.
It's not about questioning Drew's arm strength, it's about the premise of the article. It's an excerpt from his video with Simms and King. Why Florio thought this was article-worthy is my issue with it. "If Brees had thrown the ball on stride, it would have been a touchdown and the game would have been out of reach." I could write a thousand "IF" scenarios about each game.

I don't dislike Florio, but he's been on this Brees is declining kick and keeps trying to milk it. I heard him bring up Brees' pending demise in one of his videos during this preseason and one of his statements was that the pass interference to TL Lewis in THAT game was due to Brees not being able to get it him with enough zip. I'm paraphrasing, but that was what he stated.

This IF he had _______ then _______ article is beyond lame.

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)

Headlines

Top Bottom