LOL, Florio (Brees arm strength) (1 Viewer)

Saint Spud

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score
Sticky Post
Says the game should’ve ended earlier because Brees should have hit Ginn in stride for a TD. Says we need to watch and see if his arm strength declining.

Brees threw a dart off his back foot under pressure. Not sure how many QBs in the league would've been able to do that in that situation.

Last edited:

insidejob

Respect existence or expect resistance.
Approved Blogger
Reaction score
Let's see, Drew's stats last night. 32-43 for 370 yards & 2 TDs 74.4% completion percentage with 2 TDs & one Int. Oh my goodness, the man is definitely falling off the cliff. he only completed 74.4% of his passes & had a pick. he only had 5 all of last season & his QBR was only 105.8 Who's available on the waiver wire?
And a couple of those incompletions were spiking the ball to stop the clock too.

UFCSaint

Super Forum Fanatic
Reaction score
Man, I’m glad we have brees but his arm definitely isn’t what it used to be. Ginn is constantly having to slow down to make the catch. He’s still a great qb but to me it’s obvious.
Agree. And is it me or is Drew's throwing motion different this year? It's almost like he is twisting his body more to put some torque into it. Something just seems different.

sammymvpknight

The People's Champ
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Can you provide video evidence to support your claim? It's not a difficult request.
You do realize how what you are asking is impossible for the average fan to prove (just as it’s impossible to prove that his arm strength hasn’t weakened). We don’t have the technology such as accelerometers and advanced statistics such as max yards carried per pass needed to answer the question.

But Brees is 40 years old. That is statistically past the peak physical capacity of an NFL QB. Maybe he’s that unbelievably rare 0.01% that gets stronger past the age of 40. But if anything, the norm should be used as the null hypothesis.

TheMike62987

Super Forum Fanatic
Reaction score
I found this vidoe which may help with this debate

That first one to Eric Parker in 2004 was underthrown too

I don't think anyone can debate this now. In that montage Brees leads the receiver 40+ yds down field like twice. Almost all of them the receiver has to hesitate to catch the ball, or it's a short pass and the receiver breaks free.

FGE413

Reaction score
Yeah, I think it's possible to have multiple thoughts in your head simultaneously: 1) Brees still had a great 2nd half Monday night and is a top-tier QB, 2) he has a tendency to underthrow deep balls more than he used to, 3) it's probably a little silly for Florio to devote an entire article to one throw, and 4) it's also probably a little silly for some Saints fans to freak out as if he just walked in their house and pooped on the rug.

Man, I’m glad we have brees but his arm definitely isn’t what it used to be. Ginn is constantly having to slow down to make the catch. He’s still a great qb but to me it’s obvious.

MJ in Calif

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score
I thought he had a point too but when I rewatched the clip of the play, Brees was under some pressure and could not step into the throw, hence it was a bit short. But it still got there. My beef is how the game was managed after that play. Why did Payton put his team in a 3rd and 11 with just over a minute and a half remaining and the Texans are out of timeouts? That pitch to Kamara on a 2nd and 5 lost 6 yards, which was a killer. I know, I'm an armchair OC but somehow if they were facing a 3rd and 3 or 2 instead of 11, they pick up that key 1st down and the game is over. Instead, they have to play for a FG and have to give the ball back to the Texans. Oh well.

lapaz

Super Forum Fanatic
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
It is better to underthrow a wide open receiver to assure he catches it, than to try to hit him perfectly in stride and over throw him slightly. In that situation, there was no need to gamble to try to hit him in stride. I too would’ve preferred the lower risk dump off, but Ginn was at least 3 yards open, so it was a relatively low risk, but the risk goes up trying to make a perfect pass. So I think Brees intended to lower the risk by not attempting to hit him in stride.

OP
OP

Saint Spud

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score
It is better to underthrow a wide open receiver to assure he catches it, than to try to hit him perfectly in stride and over throw him slightly. In that situation, there was no need to gamble to try to hit him in stride. I too would’ve preferred the lower risk dump off, but Ginn was at least 3 yards open, so it was a relatively low risk, but the risk goes up trying to make a perfect pass. So I think Brees intended to lower the risk by not attempting to hit him in stride.
Agree. I also think Brees was more focused on getting the ball out quickly since he’s been a little late on throws to Ginn in the past.

Look, by no means am I saying Drew’s arm strength is the same as it was a decade ago. But this was a poor example of it and the article seems to imply that it’s something that will limit the team’s ceiling going forward. Drew more than makes up for the slight decrease in arm strength by being even more knowledgeable than he was a decade ago.

Reaction score
Bogotá, Colombia - via - Metairie, LA, USA
I will ask what I've asked before. When is the last time anyone ever saw Drew Brees throw a ball over 40 from the LOS in his entire career? I would venture to say never. I've been following this guy since Purdue & can't ever recall him throwing the ball over 50 yards from where he stood in his career. So why is this becoming a point of contention now?
Here you go

Play #8 from around his own 15 to their 30 for around 55 yards.

Play #8 again. From his own goalline to past the 50 while moving. Play #4 from before his own 20 to their 30 for +50yds.

I am not trying to be that, "I told ya so," guy, but here are 3 examples in very quick research.

Drew could never throw is 70yds, but it is very obvious Drew cannot get it down field like he used to, but that's ok tho bc we don't need him to. Now I am not saying Florio's example is good evidence to that claim, but it is silly to pretend a 40 year old after almost 20 years of pro football can throw it as far as he could when he was 10 years younger. Brees clearly does not have the same zip or distance, and it is ok to admit that while still loving him as the best or one of the best to ever play the game.

mikedre

Rookie
Reaction score
It was a flat footed flick of his wrist that went 32 yards. How many QBs can do that? Did you hear what the announcer said? "The 40 yo HOF say, "watch how it's done!"

SoggyBottomBoy

I'm with you fellers.
Staff member
Administrator
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
The diminishing arm strength is way over stated. The thing to worry about is not hitting a bomb 50+ yards down field, it's Drew not having any zip on medium and deep timing routes to the sidelines. And he's still zinging those.

And Florio really didn't look at that pass as Drew threw quickly as soon as he spotted Ginn behind coverage and never stepped into it.

It's just tiresome to hear about his pending doom every time he's off on a throw or two.

Last edited:

UFCSaint

Super Forum Fanatic
Reaction score
The diminishing arm strength is way over stated. The thing to worry about is not hitting a bomb 50+ yards down field, it's Drew not having any zip on medium and deep timing routes to the sidelines. And he's still zinging those.

And Florio really didn't look at that pass as Drew threw quickly as soon as he spotted Ginn behind coverage and never stepped into it.

It's just tiresome to hear about his pending doom every time he off on a throw or two.
The out patterns are what concern me and also concerned me last year. I don't think they have the same zip on them as they did in the past. They seem to take a while to get there imo. I don't think defenders are trying to jump those routes because...well it is Drew Brees. I remember when defenders finally started jumping Marino's out passes, it seemed like a free for all after that.

Booker

All-Pro
Reaction score
Agree. And is it me or is Drew's throwing motion different this year? It's almost like he is twisting his body more to put some torque into it. Something just seems different.
There was a recent article that touched on this...

The throws Brees makes now compared to 10 years ago aren’t different, Saints quarterbacks coach Joe Lombardi said — but the steps his quarterback takes to get there have been refined, as Brees “tightened up his mechanics.”
Brees’ stance features a narrower base, and he takes longer strides, using that combination to put more torque on his passes.
Streamlining anything, even something as basic as that, takes countless repetitions in numerous drills during the offseason.
“It's not easy to do,” Lombardi said. “But when you've got his kind of work ethic, you're able to pull it off.”

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Headlines

Top Bottom