LOL, Florio (Brees arm strength) (2 Viewers)

Saint Spud

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score
Sticky Post
Says the game should’ve ended earlier because Brees should have hit Ginn in stride for a TD. Says we need to watch and see if his arm strength declining.

Brees threw a dart off his back foot under pressure. Not sure how many QBs in the league would've been able to do that in that situation.

Last edited:

TribuneUK

ALL-MADDEN TEAM
Reaction score
Will Fuller had to slow down and catch an underthrown deep ball on Eli Apple's back. And Watson didn't even throw it from his back foot. Guess Watson's arm strength is declining.
Yeah, but he was bravely battling through a back injury. Totally different [/sarcasm]

Just read TCU Dan's frankly sublime breakdown of this play, including the pre snap wizardry of Brees and you'll see why this was one of the greatest pass plays of the evening.

Context is everything

Kyle brister

VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Here you go

Play #8 from around his own 15 to their 30 for around 55 yards.

Play #8 again. From his own goalline to past the 50 while moving. Play #4 from before his own 20 to their 30 for +50yds.

I am not trying to be that, "I told ya so," guy, but here are 3 examples in very quick research.

Drew could never throw is 70yds, but it is very obvious Drew cannot get it down field like he used to, but that's ok tho bc we don't need him to. Now I am not saying Florio's example is good evidence to that claim, but it is silly to pretend a 40 year old after almost 20 years of pro football can throw it as far as he could when he was 10 years younger. Brees clearly does not have the same zip or distance, and it is ok to admit that while still loving him as the best or one of the best to ever play the game.
I appreciate the video reference & your attempt to correct me, but you are a little late on that. I have already documented his one TD pass of 55 yards in his career & also the other 4 TDs in which he threw for 50 yards, which was one for 51 yards. The fact is & the point is that he has never been a bomb thrower per say. I understand your zeal to prove me wrong. but you are only serving to prove my point. And the point is that Drew's skills aren't diminishing with age. But once again, thank you.

Swimmer

Medsamust Saint Fan
VIP Subscribing Member
Platinum VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Man, I’m glad we have brees but his arm definitely isn’t what it used to be. Ginn is constantly having to slow down to make the catch. He’s still a great qb but to me it’s obvious.
You had the courage to call it straight on. Except in a perfect pocket indoors, Brees no longer has hardly any precision accuracy on his long bomb passes. The bombs almost always wobble at the end and come up short of the receiver. Ginn had to come back to catch the 37-yarder. All that said, that probably does not matter at all in our ability to win one or more SBs under Brees. With the arm he has today, he can win his MVP finally as well as SB MVP. I'll take that arm and smile all the way to Miami.

Last edited:

UltraSaints

New Orleans Saints Fanboy.
Reaction score
Drew’s arm strength has declined, Drew even admitted it himself lol.

Having said that, it doesn’t make him any less of a player. The throw the Ginn was off his back foot under pressure in a crucial spot. It was an amazing throw so the article is nonsense.

But we have seen several plays in the past few years that have failed after not having enough zip on the ball to hit someone in stride or it’s been thrown behind them.

Reaction score
In the pre season interviews Drew said maybe he can no longer throw the 70 yard bombs like the kids in the league. I'm thinking he is just trying to draw the secondary in. Football is a game of psychology.

saint_drago

I Must Break You
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Drew's arm strength is one of touchiest topics in SR.com history. It's sharply divided. You have the, "Drew can't throw, were doomed!", chicken little crowd. Then you have the, "Drew can throw it as far and hard as he ever could", nothing to see here crowd.

Of course he's lost a little zip on his passes. The man is 40 years old! In his life he's thrown a football thousands and thousands of times so there's bound to be some tread on his tires. The question is does he have enough tread left? I think he does. There's more to playing QB than having a huge arm and being able to throw bullets 60 yards. Drew demonstrated that Monday night.

I think people watched Deshaun Watson out there throwing lasers and tried to compare that to Drew's passes.

sammymvpknight

Super Forum Fanatic
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
My gosh I cannot believe we are wasting time on this garbage and that's exactly what it is. We have never needed Drew to throw it 60-70 yards to
win a game. Those 40 yards were just fine yesterday considering he really didn't have complete follow through on throw. Anyway haters will always hate and that's what Florio's article is ALL about despite his desire to make everyone think otherwise.
Nobody is arguing that Drew is a worse QB now. Why is everyone so up in arms? It’s very possible that a 40 year old QB doesn’t have the same arm strength as he did in his physical prime. It doesn’t mean he’s worse...heck he can be even better because he seemingly gets smarter

First Time Poster

Pro-Bowler
Reaction score
I challenge & welcome anyone who is commenting on Brees' declining arm strength to provide any video evidence whatsoever that shows he ever threw a ball over 55 yards in his life. If you can't provide this evidence then please do not feed this monkey. not from the LOS, from where he stood.
@Kyle brister

I haven't read through all 7 pages so I don't know if anyone responded but this pass was nearly 60 yards in the air. That being said, I get the spirit of what you are saying. But, when you made that statement, I have to admit, this play came to mind.

slowchild25

happy in the haze
Reaction score
@Kyle brister

I haven't read through all 7 pages so I don't know if anyone responded but this pass was nearly 60 yards in the air. That being said, I get the spirit of what you are saying. But, when you made that statement, I have to admit, this play came to mind.

Brees lets it go at the 13 and Devery catches it at the 34. So that's 53 yards. That's being able to step into the throw and let it fly.

On the Ginn throw Brees lets it go at the 7 and hits Ginn at exactly the 50. 43 Yards off his back foot without getting to step all the way into it. Shirt that video just makes the Ginn throw way more impressive.

saint_drago

I Must Break You
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
@Kyle brister

Drew used to make passes like that look routine. He could hit a man streaking down the field in stride like it was nothing. That's just not his strong suit anymore. He'd probably be the first to admit that. But he has plenty of other tools in his bag to work with. And we don't run that offense anymore. SP isn't going to put Drew in a position to fail. Never has, never will. He knows what his QB can do but more importantly, he knows what his QB can't do. A good coach knows his players' limitations and plays to their strengths.

Goatman Saint

Subscribing Member
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Platinum VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Brees has the record for accuracy on long passes so he knows what he’s doing.

I’ve mentioned this numerous times. In throwing the deep ball. If a QB overthrows a WR on a deep ball, most of the time with a decent CB, they will intercept it as even your big arm QBs don’t maintain velocity at 40 yard+. Now to hit a WR in stride is tough because they have to be led perfectly. If you’re behind the WR just a bit, then it’s also generally an int. Now, if a QB throws it just a bit short to a WR coming out of a cut, the CB is in a trailing position and in no where near able to intercept. Worst that can happen is an incomplete pass. So by throwing that ball the way he did, only Ginn had a shot at it. It was either going to be a long pickup, or a punt.

While Payton and Brees are aggressive, they aren’t dumb. Brees and Ginn and do that pass all day long the way it was thrown. Notice how when Ginn adjusted it dropped right in his arms? That’s by design, not a dying duck.

insidejob

Respect existence or expect resistance.
Approved Blogger
Reaction score
Brees lets it go at the 13 and Devery catches it at the 34. So that's 53 yards. That's being able to step into the throw and let it fly.

On the Ginn throw Brees lets it go at the 7 and hits Ginn at exactly the 50. 43 Yards off his back foot without getting to step all the way into it. Shirt that video just makes the Ginn throw way more impressive.
Looked like he launched it from the 15 and was caught at the 30 to me.

On second look, let it go at the 13 and caught at the 31. Hard to tell exactly with things going so fast and the video so grainy.

insidejob

Respect existence or expect resistance.
Approved Blogger
Reaction score
I'd say 13 and maybe 33 1/2 :hihi:

A70B3A4F-3A59-4B2C-B50B-0D924B12C45C.jpeg

0B2933D1-1623-49E0-AF53-501D997B7D51.jpeg
I was going to do the screenshot too but quibbling over a few yards is just silly, IMO. He threw the ball a mile on the money regardless of the actual yards in flight. We can obviously agree on that. 2011 Drew was probably the best passing season he ever had.

Drew knows he's lost some of the strength he used to have and has adjusted his game for it. End of story. Stupid article (and play chosen for it) by Florio. He gets clown faces all around.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)

Headlines

Top Bottom