LOL, Florio (Brees arm strength) (2 Viewers)

Saint Spud

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score
Sticky Post
Says the game should’ve ended earlier because Brees should have hit Ginn in stride for a TD. Says we need to watch and see if his arm strength declining.

Brees threw a dart off his back foot under pressure. Not sure how many QBs in the league would've been able to do that in that situation.

Last edited:

Swimmer

Medsamust Saint Fan
VIP Subscribing Member
Platinum VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Look, by no means am I saying Drew’s arm strength is the same as it was a decade ago. But this was a poor example of it and the article seems to imply that it’s something that will limit the team’s ceiling going forward. Drew more than makes up for the slight decrease in arm strength by being even more knowledgeable than he was a decade ago.
100% agree. Really good stuff.

And arguably the greatest offensive mind over the past decade in this pass happy era of the current NFL has spent 3-years rebuilding this team to win a SB with QB who does not have the arm strength to regularly take the top off defenses with a cannon arm. Even in the 20-yard outs, which are very long passes, Brees still delivers with the precision of a Swiss watchmaker.

slowchild25

happy in the haze
Reaction score
I was going to do the screenshot too but quibbling over a few yards is just silly, IMO. He threw the ball a mile on the money regardless of the actual yards in flight. We can obviously agree on that. 2011 Drew was probably the best passing season he ever had.

Drew knows he's lost some of the strength he used to have and has adjusted his game for it. End of story. Stupid article (and play chosen for it) by Florio. He gets clown faces all around.
To be honest I thought the same thing Florio did when I first saw the Ginn play. "Man that should have been a TD". Then they showed the replay and you saw the pressure up front. But it wasn't till I went back on youtube and watched it where I was like holy crap, I didn't realize it was that long of shot. I'm not trying to downplay the Devery throw at all just saying that Ginn throw is a lot more impressive than people are giving it credit for.

Swimmer

Medsamust Saint Fan
VIP Subscribing Member
Platinum VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Nobody is arguing that Drew is a worse QB now. Why is everyone so up in arms? It’s very possible that a 40 year old QB doesn’t have the same arm strength as he did in his physical prime. It doesn’t mean he’s worse...heck he can be even better because he seemingly gets smarter
Didn't George Blanda lead the Raiders to the Conference title or even the SB at age 40 when his longest passes were like ducks only flying about 10 yards in the air?

Quiet Storm

ALL-MADDEN TEAM
Reaction score
Says the game should’ve ended earlier because Brees should have hit Ginn in stride for a TD. Says we need to watch and see if his arm strength declining.

Brees threw a dart off his back foot under pressure. Not sure how many QBs in the league would've been able to do that in that situation.

Not only was he throwing off his back foot, but watching it it was like a last second decision to go that way. Basically Brees was like "Oh sh*t! Ginn is open!"

He was also under pressure so he wasn't able to step into it.

insidejob

Respect existence or expect resistance.
Approved Blogger
Reaction score
100% agree. Really good stuff.

And arguably the greatest offensive mind over the past decade in this pass happy era of the current NFL has spent 3-years rebuilding this team to win a SB with QB who does not have the arm strength to regularly take the top off defenses with a cannon arm. Even in the 20-yard outs, which are very long passes, Brees still delivers with the precision of a Swiss watchmaker.
That's the thing. Even if a defense knows Brees can only throw the ball 50 yards max down the field, Ginn can still take 2 DBs 50 yards down field opening up everything underneath for a handful of other playmakers, who can turn a 15 yard crossing route into a 50 gain.

Payton and Brees have both adjusted the offense to be what it needs to be for the Drew Brees currently making the audibles at the line.

dtc

VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I challenge & welcome anyone who is commenting on Brees' declining arm strength to provide any video evidence whatsoever that shows he ever threw a ball over 55 yards in his life. If you can't provide this evidence then please do not feed this monkey. not from the LOS, from where he stood.
From the 13 on a line to the 30 and would have landed at the 25.

That's 57 plus on my first guess.

JBSaint

Veteran Starter
Reaction score
Brees' arm reminds me of the "old men" at the golf course. Many of you know the group of old guys that play 3-4 times a week and they know their game. It would be the group that you somewhat take shots at because they do not hit the 250+ yard drives, but they can hit it straight and usually do not make mistakes. They know what they are good doing and do it to beat people who can out hit them.

So I will take the more accurate, smarter play and less overall arm strength any day.

sainthood

Veteran Starter
Reaction score
Yes, Drew cannot throw as far and accurate as he once did, but 85 percent of former Drew in the go deep department is compensated by his unparalleled intermediate accuracy. The Saints simply do not call bomb plays the way they once did several years ago. I am sure Josh Allen can still throw that 80 yard bomb farther than Drew. So goes the most overrated aspect of quarterback play. The real question is 3rd and 2 game on the line and you make that throw down field under pressure. That was a hall of fame play.

OldSaintFan

USM Golden Eagles
Reaction score

Yeah, Florio knows so much about football.

renegadewa

Super Forum Fanatic
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Does seem to be noticeable with throwing to Ginn. Drew needs clean pocket and setup these days.

Been a while since Ginn hasn't had to wait a bit for the ball.
It could be that maybe Ginn is too fast...………………..I remember someone saying during training camp that Ginn was on the bubble because he had lost a step...…….:p

SonOfNOLA

Johnnie Aborigine
Reaction score
There will be long throws where people will say Brees is being his masterful HOF self at age 40. When he doesn’t hit those same throws a few times, then it must be his age capping his arm strength. Miscommunications can happen but the media is ready to write him off and push him out of the door off the smallest error.

sfidc3

Pro-Bowler
Reaction score
Um, Nick Saban didnt pass on him. The dolphins doctors said he would never be the same. I'm sure you can find that on google if you want to take the time. Worked out for us.
Saban did pass on him...the fact that he got poor advice doesn’t change that fact...thank you dolphins medical staff and nick saban

sfidc3

Pro-Bowler
Reaction score
It could be that maybe Ginn is too fast...………………..I remember someone saying during training camp that Ginn was on the bubble because he had lost a step...…….:p
I thought about that idiotic post after the game....

Goatman Saint

Subscribing Member
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Platinum VIP Contributor
Reaction score
People compare Brees with Henderson with Brees and Ginn. Ginn, while fast isn’t Henderson fast. Brees could launch it just about anywhere and no one could keep up with Henderson when he was at speed. Brees could just chuck it down the field. Ginn isn’t that fast. He has to be more accurate.

Also that sort of accuracy’s Brees has (he did set the record) you cannot maintain with a weak arm.

RevDeuceWindham

Player Evaluator/Analyst for The Athletic
Approved Blogger
Reaction score
Man, I’m glad we have brees but his arm definitely isn’t what it used to be. Ginn is constantly having to slow down to make the catch. He’s still a great qb but to me it’s obvious.
I don't know why it offends so many fans, either. The Saints have taken out certain plays, and put certain plays onto their call sheet, to account for his declining arm strength. it's no secret in the facility.

Hasn't stopped them from winning a butt-load of games and Brees breaking more records, though. You simply compensate and keep moving. Thats whats important, winning. He's more efficient than he's ever been. They set up the long shots when they need them.

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)

Headlines

Top Bottom