LOL, Florio (Brees arm strength) (1 Viewer)

I will ask what I've asked before. When is the last time anyone ever saw Drew Brees throw a ball over 40 from the LOS in his entire career? I would venture to say never. I've been following this guy since Purdue & can't ever recall him throwing the ball over 50 yards from where he stood in his career. So why is this becoming a point of contention now?

Here you go

Play #8 from around his own 15 to their 30 for around 55 yards.

Play #8 again. From his own goalline to past the 50 while moving. Play #4 from before his own 20 to their 30 for +50yds.

I am not trying to be that, "I told ya so," guy, but here are 3 examples in very quick research.

Drew could never throw is 70yds, but it is very obvious Drew cannot get it down field like he used to, but that's ok tho bc we don't need him to. Now I am not saying Florio's example is good evidence to that claim, but it is silly to pretend a 40 year old after almost 20 years of pro football can throw it as far as he could when he was 10 years younger. Brees clearly does not have the same zip or distance, and it is ok to admit that while still loving him as the best or one of the best to ever play the game.

It was a flat footed flick of his wrist that went 32 yards. How many QBs can do that? Did you hear what the announcer said? "The 40 yo HOF say, "watch how it's done!"

The diminishing arm strength is way over stated. The thing to worry about is not hitting a bomb 50+ yards down field, it's Drew not having any zip on medium and deep timing routes to the sidelines. And he's still zinging those.

And Florio really didn't look at that pass as Drew threw quickly as soon as he spotted Ginn behind coverage and never stepped into it.

It's just tiresome to hear about his pending doom every time he's off on a throw or two.

Last edited:
The diminishing arm strength is way over stated. The thing to worry about is not hitting a bomb 50+ yards down field, it's Drew not having any zip on medium and deep timing routes to the sidelines. And he's still zinging those.

And Florio really didn't look at that pass as Drew threw quickly as soon as he spotted Ginn behind coverage and never stepped into it.

It's just tiresome to hear about his pending doom every time he off on a throw or two.

The out patterns are what concern me and also concerned me last year. I don't think they have the same zip on them as they did in the past. They seem to take a while to get there imo. I don't think defenders are trying to jump those routes because...well it is Drew Brees. I remember when defenders finally started jumping Marino's out passes, it seemed like a free for all after that.

Agree. And is it me or is Drew's throwing motion different this year? It's almost like he is twisting his body more to put some torque into it. Something just seems different.
There was a recent article that touched on this...

The throws Brees makes now compared to 10 years ago aren’t different, Saints quarterbacks coach Joe Lombardi said — but the steps his quarterback takes to get there have been refined, as Brees “tightened up his mechanics.”
Brees’ stance features a narrower base, and he takes longer strides, using that combination to put more torque on his passes.
Streamlining anything, even something as basic as that, takes countless repetitions in numerous drills during the offseason.
“It's not easy to do,” Lombardi said. “But when you've got his kind of work ethic, you're able to pull it off.”

Will Fuller had to slow down and catch an underthrown deep ball on Eli Apple's back. And Watson didn't even throw it from his back foot. Guess Watson's arm strength is declining.
Yeah, but he was bravely battling through a back injury. Totally different [/sarcasm]

Just read TCU Dan's frankly sublime breakdown of this play, including the pre snap wizardry of Brees and you'll see why this was one of the greatest pass plays of the evening.

Context is everything

Here you go

Play #8 from around his own 15 to their 30 for around 55 yards.

Play #8 again. From his own goalline to past the 50 while moving. Play #4 from before his own 20 to their 30 for +50yds.

I am not trying to be that, "I told ya so," guy, but here are 3 examples in very quick research.

Drew could never throw is 70yds, but it is very obvious Drew cannot get it down field like he used to, but that's ok tho bc we don't need him to. Now I am not saying Florio's example is good evidence to that claim, but it is silly to pretend a 40 year old after almost 20 years of pro football can throw it as far as he could when he was 10 years younger. Brees clearly does not have the same zip or distance, and it is ok to admit that while still loving him as the best or one of the best to ever play the game.

I appreciate the video reference & your attempt to correct me, but you are a little late on that. I have already documented his one TD pass of 55 yards in his career & also the other 4 TDs in which he threw for 50 yards, which was one for 51 yards. The fact is & the point is that he has never been a bomb thrower per say. I understand your zeal to prove me wrong. but you are only serving to prove my point. And the point is that Drew's skills aren't diminishing with age. But once again, thank you.

Man, I’m glad we have brees but his arm definitely isn’t what it used to be. Ginn is constantly having to slow down to make the catch. He’s still a great qb but to me it’s obvious.

You had the courage to call it straight on. Except in a perfect pocket indoors, Brees no longer has hardly any precision accuracy on his long bomb passes. The bombs almost always wobble at the end and come up short of the receiver. Ginn had to come back to catch the 37-yarder. All that said, that probably does not matter at all in our ability to win one or more SBs under Brees. With the arm he has today, he can win his MVP finally as well as SB MVP. I'll take that arm and smile all the way to Miami.

Last edited:
Drew’s arm strength has declined, Drew even admitted it himself lol.

Having said that, it doesn’t make him any less of a player. The throw the Ginn was off his back foot under pressure in a crucial spot. It was an amazing throw so the article is nonsense.

But we have seen several plays in the past few years that have failed after not having enough zip on the ball to hit someone in stride or it’s been thrown behind them.

In the pre season interviews Drew said maybe he can no longer throw the 70 yard bombs like the kids in the league. I'm thinking he is just trying to draw the secondary in. Football is a game of psychology.

Drew's arm strength is one of touchiest topics in SR.com history. It's sharply divided. You have the, "Drew can't throw, were doomed!", chicken little crowd. Then you have the, "Drew can throw it as far and hard as he ever could", nothing to see here crowd.

Of course he's lost a little zip on his passes. The man is 40 years old! In his life he's thrown a football thousands and thousands of times so there's bound to be some tread on his tires. The question is does he have enough tread left? I think he does. There's more to playing QB than having a huge arm and being able to throw bullets 60 yards. Drew demonstrated that Monday night.

I think people watched Deshaun Watson out there throwing lasers and tried to compare that to Drew's passes.

My gosh I cannot believe we are wasting time on this garbage and that's exactly what it is. We have never needed Drew to throw it 60-70 yards to
win a game. Those 40 yards were just fine yesterday considering he really didn't have complete follow through on throw. Anyway haters will always hate and that's what Florio's article is ALL about despite his desire to make everyone think otherwise.

Nobody is arguing that Drew is a worse QB now. Why is everyone so up in arms? It’s very possible that a 40 year old QB doesn’t have the same arm strength as he did in his physical prime. It doesn’t mean he’s worse...heck he can be even better because he seemingly gets smarter

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom