LOL, Florio (Brees arm strength) (1 Viewer)

I challenge & welcome anyone who is commenting on Brees' declining arm strength to provide any video evidence whatsoever that shows he ever threw a ball over 55 yards in his life. If you can't provide this evidence then please do not feed this monkey. not from the LOS, from where he stood.

@Kyle brister

I haven't read through all 7 pages so I don't know if anyone responded but this pass was nearly 60 yards in the air. That being said, I get the spirit of what you are saying. But, when you made that statement, I have to admit, this play came to mind.

@Kyle brister

I haven't read through all 7 pages so I don't know if anyone responded but this pass was nearly 60 yards in the air. That being said, I get the spirit of what you are saying. But, when you made that statement, I have to admit, this play came to mind.

Brees lets it go at the 13 and Devery catches it at the 34. So that's 53 yards. That's being able to step into the throw and let it fly.

On the Ginn throw Brees lets it go at the 7 and hits Ginn at exactly the 50. 43 Yards off his back foot without getting to step all the way into it. Shirt that video just makes the Ginn throw way more impressive.

@Kyle brister

Drew used to make passes like that look routine. He could hit a man streaking down the field in stride like it was nothing. That's just not his strong suit anymore. He'd probably be the first to admit that. But he has plenty of other tools in his bag to work with. And we don't run that offense anymore. SP isn't going to put Drew in a position to fail. Never has, never will. He knows what his QB can do but more importantly, he knows what his QB can't do. A good coach knows his players' limitations and plays to their strengths.

Brees has the record for accuracy on long passes so he knows what he’s doing.

I’ve mentioned this numerous times. In throwing the deep ball. If a QB overthrows a WR on a deep ball, most of the time with a decent CB, they will intercept it as even your big arm QBs don’t maintain velocity at 40 yard+. Now to hit a WR in stride is tough because they have to be led perfectly. If you’re behind the WR just a bit, then it’s also generally an int. Now, if a QB throws it just a bit short to a WR coming out of a cut, the CB is in a trailing position and in no where near able to intercept. Worst that can happen is an incomplete pass. So by throwing that ball the way he did, only Ginn had a shot at it. It was either going to be a long pickup, or a punt.

While Payton and Brees are aggressive, they aren’t dumb. Brees and Ginn and do that pass all day long the way it was thrown. Notice how when Ginn adjusted it dropped right in his arms? That’s by design, not a dying duck.

Brees lets it go at the 13 and Devery catches it at the 34. So that's 53 yards. That's being able to step into the throw and let it fly.

On the Ginn throw Brees lets it go at the 7 and hits Ginn at exactly the 50. 43 Yards off his back foot without getting to step all the way into it. Shirt that video just makes the Ginn throw way more impressive.
Looked like he launched it from the 15 and was caught at the 30 to me.

On second look, let it go at the 13 and caught at the 31. Hard to tell exactly with things going so fast and the video so grainy.

I'd say 13 and maybe 33 1/2 :hihi:

A70B3A4F-3A59-4B2C-B50B-0D924B12C45C.jpeg

0B2933D1-1623-49E0-AF53-501D997B7D51.jpeg
I was going to do the screenshot too but quibbling over a few yards is just silly, IMO. He threw the ball a mile on the money regardless of the actual yards in flight. We can obviously agree on that. 2011 Drew was probably the best passing season he ever had.

Drew knows he's lost some of the strength he used to have and has adjusted his game for it. End of story. Stupid article (and play chosen for it) by Florio. He gets clown faces all around.

Look, by no means am I saying Drew’s arm strength is the same as it was a decade ago. But this was a poor example of it and the article seems to imply that it’s something that will limit the team’s ceiling going forward. Drew more than makes up for the slight decrease in arm strength by being even more knowledgeable than he was a decade ago.

100% agree. Really good stuff.

And arguably the greatest offensive mind over the past decade in this pass happy era of the current NFL has spent 3-years rebuilding this team to win a SB with QB who does not have the arm strength to regularly take the top off defenses with a cannon arm. Even in the 20-yard outs, which are very long passes, Brees still delivers with the precision of a Swiss watchmaker.

I was going to do the screenshot too but quibbling over a few yards is just silly, IMO. He threw the ball a mile on the money regardless of the actual yards in flight. We can obviously agree on that. 2011 Drew was probably the best passing season he ever had.

Drew knows he's lost some of the strength he used to have and has adjusted his game for it. End of story. Stupid article (and play chosen for it) by Florio. He gets clown faces all around.

To be honest I thought the same thing Florio did when I first saw the Ginn play. "Man that should have been a TD". Then they showed the replay and you saw the pressure up front. But it wasn't till I went back on youtube and watched it where I was like holy crap, I didn't realize it was that long of shot. I'm not trying to downplay the Devery throw at all just saying that Ginn throw is a lot more impressive than people are giving it credit for.

Nobody is arguing that Drew is a worse QB now. Why is everyone so up in arms? It’s very possible that a 40 year old QB doesn’t have the same arm strength as he did in his physical prime. It doesn’t mean he’s worse...heck he can be even better because he seemingly gets smarter

Didn't George Blanda lead the Raiders to the Conference title or even the SB at age 40 when his longest passes were like ducks only flying about 10 yards in the air?

Says the game should’ve ended earlier because Brees should have hit Ginn in stride for a TD. Says we need to watch and see if his arm strength declining.

Brees threw a dart off his back foot under pressure. Not sure how many QBs in the league would've been able to do that in that situation.

Not only was he throwing off his back foot, but watching it it was like a last second decision to go that way. Basically Brees was like "Oh sh*t! Ginn is open!"

He was also under pressure so he wasn't able to step into it.

100% agree. Really good stuff.

And arguably the greatest offensive mind over the past decade in this pass happy era of the current NFL has spent 3-years rebuilding this team to win a SB with QB who does not have the arm strength to regularly take the top off defenses with a cannon arm. Even in the 20-yard outs, which are very long passes, Brees still delivers with the precision of a Swiss watchmaker.
That's the thing. Even if a defense knows Brees can only throw the ball 50 yards max down the field, Ginn can still take 2 DBs 50 yards down field opening up everything underneath for a handful of other playmakers, who can turn a 15 yard crossing route into a 50 gain.

Payton and Brees have both adjusted the offense to be what it needs to be for the Drew Brees currently making the audibles at the line.

Drew's arm surely should've gotten us to 2 SB appearances. More than likely 3. And it's still got us in contention late in his career. Consider me not concerned about this issue

I challenge & welcome anyone who is commenting on Brees' declining arm strength to provide any video evidence whatsoever that shows he ever threw a ball over 55 yards in his life. If you can't provide this evidence then please do not feed this monkey. not from the LOS, from where he stood.

From the 13 on a line to the 30 and would have landed at the 25.

That's 57 plus on my first guess.

Brees' arm reminds me of the "old men" at the golf course. Many of you know the group of old guys that play 3-4 times a week and they know their game. It would be the group that you somewhat take shots at because they do not hit the 250+ yard drives, but they can hit it straight and usually do not make mistakes. They know what they are good doing and do it to beat people who can out hit them.

So I will take the more accurate, smarter play and less overall arm strength any day.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom