LONDON COUNTERPOINT: We owe the NFL one (1 Viewer)

Reaction score
I've been reading all of the outrage on this board against the NFL for sticking it to the city of New Orleans and Saints fans by taking a home game away next season and sending it to London. So let me offer an opposing point of view:

It's the least we can do.

After all, in the fall of 2005, when Tom Benson was working furiously behind the scenes to take ALL of our home games away and move the franchise permanently to San Antonio, it was the NFL who stepped in and stopped him.

In the spring of 2006, when the Superdome was still in tatters, it was the NFL who said: We're going to help you rebuild it in time for next season, and when you reopen it, we're going to throw you the biggest regular season party this sport has ever seen.

Simply put, the NFL SAVED the New Orleans Saints. If we can pay the league back by eating a home game so they can promote the sport overseas, that's a small price to pay.

I hate to lose a home game, too, especially a marquee game with such a compelling story line (Drew Brees facing off against his old team). But I believe in repaying friends who helped me out when I was down. So I'll gladly do that for the good old NFL, whose bold leadership was the only thing this broken city had going for it for a while there.

Some people around here have short memories. The NFL isn't screwing us. They're just asking us to return a favor. As Southern gentlemen, the correct response should be: You got it, hoss. Let us know if there's anything else we can do to help.

rating_10.gif

+1

I've got an even better counterpoint: We stink at home.

Very good point. Also, another positive is that the Saints have a large national fan base since the return to the dome, and this game may increase its fan base across international lines(even more than it is now, as I know a number of SR.com members are from overseas). Let's make the best of it and increase the WhoDatNation!!:cool:

I personally think that the Saints have a good following in Europe.This could possibly be a good thing for the European fans to checkout their favorite team.

but why us this year?
why not the Bucs or whoever the World Champs will be?
why not the Buffalo Bills, who don't like playing in their town anyway?

I know we stink at home, but taking away a home game probably means $10 million to the local economy on game day, right?

Why not the Dallas Cowgirls?
Or another team I hate, the Chicago Bears or the Philly Iggles?

I'm not blaming the NFL at all for asking the Saints to give up the home game. Benson is to blame for letting it happen. An away game would be a completely different story...a real win-win for the Saints.

I posted something similar on the "NFL is screwing us' thread.'' The NFL saved our arse and stepped up big time. Some of us have short memories and lack a little gratitude.

I've been reading all of the outrage on this board against the NFL for sticking it to the city of New Orleans and Saints fans by taking a home game away next season and sending it to London. So let me offer an opposing point of view:

It's the least we can do.

After all, in the fall of 2005, when Tom Benson was working furiously behind the scenes to take ALL of our home games away and move the franchise permanently to San Antonio, it was the NFL who stepped in and stopped him.

In the spring of 2006, when the Superdome was still in tatters, it was the NFL who said: We're going to help you rebuild it in time for next season, and when you reopen it, we're going to throw you the biggest regular season party this sport has ever seen.

Simply put, the NFL SAVED the New Orleans Saints. If we can pay the league back by eating a home game so they can promote the sport overseas, that's a small price to pay.

I hate to lose a home game, too, especially a marquee game with such a compelling story line (Drew Brees facing off against his old team). But I believe in repaying friends who helped me out when I was down. So I'll gladly do that for the good old NFL, whose bold leadership was the only thing this broken city had going for it for a while there.

Some people around here have short memories. The NFL isn't screwing us. They're just asking us to return a favor. As Southern gentlemen, the correct response should be: You got it, hoss. Let us know if there's anything else we can do to help.

You make a great point with paying back the NFL for standing up for the city, and state. That is a noble thing to do. However, if we miss out making the playoffs, exactly b/c we lost to the Bolts IN LONDON......would you still be as thankful to the NFL?

The NFL wants to promote football across the globe....wouldn't the Patriots be the poster child to do that??? Certainly much better than the Saints, or Bolts....don't you think? Why not 2 playoff teams play abroad? Wouldn't that be more interesting? After all, exposure would be much much greater if the Pats & Colts play in London, than the Saints!

But politics play a huge role in the decision who to send abroad, and an owner like Kraft has a lot more weight than Benson.....so the Pats will never end up going abroad!

And that is not right! Now on the other hand if EVERY team has to go once a year....that's a different story..

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom