LONDON COUNTERPOINT: We owe the NFL one (1 Viewer)

Do we still pay full prices for season tickets?

In checking the story on the newspage, where it says that the Saints management will be compensated, it says nothing about season ticket holders who are seeing only seven out of the eight games they were supposed to be able to attend.

I'm no attorney, but I wonder if there is a legal theory that could benefit the ticket holders, who are not getting what they bargained for in the agreement. Does the season ticket agreement contitute a contract? Was there a meeting of the minds when people bought their season tickets? Assuming that the ticket holders agreed to be able to attend eight home games, they are only getting seven. If they only get seven games, then it seems that the contract has been broken. All that said, there's probably some fine print that allows the NFL to "rescind" the home game.

The season ticket holders were compensated for 2005 IIRC. It seems only fair that they get redress for the lost home game in 2007, particularly if the Saints and the city get compensated. But then, as we all know, the law is not always fair.

irish, this is good exposure for the city,your right on the money there. I think of it as a one time tourism commerical aimed at the other side of the pond. the local merchants will lose some short term green, but a good saints showing could be a long term windfall.

In checking the story on the newspage, where it says that the Saints management will be compensated, it says nothing about season ticket holders who are seeing only seven out of the eight games they were supposed to be able to attend.

I'm no attorney, but I wonder if there is a legal theory that could benefit the ticket holders, who are not getting what they bargained for in the agreement. Does the season ticket agreement contitute a contract? Was there a meeting of the minds when people bought their season tickets? Assuming that the ticket holders agreed to be able to attend eight home games, they are only getting seven. If they only get seven games, then it seems that the contract has been broken. All that said, there's probably some fine print that allows the NFL to "rescind" the home game.

The season ticket holders were compensated for 2005 IIRC. It seems only fair that they get redress for the lost home game in 2007, particularly if the Saints and the city get compensated. But then, as we all know, the law is not always fair.

That might hold up if we were being charged for 8 home games. We'll only be charged for 7 home games.

Of course, that's not taking into account the expected price increase for tickets this year. We'll probably pay about the same as we paid last year but officially we'll only pay for 7 home games. (and two pre-season ones)

The point of the original poster is interesting, but a little misguided. Yes, we should be thankful that the NFL stopped Benson from moving the Saints right away. But does anyone believe that the NFL will come to the rescue if Benson decides to move the team in another 2-3 years?

Others have made the point: the NFL came to the rescue at the time because to allow the Saints to move would have been a PR nightmare. It was in their own best interests.

As for the NFL throwing such a big party for the re-opening of the Dome... Again, has anyone noticed that the NFL goes out of its way to throw parties? That kind of exposure only helps ratings and the bottom line.

And, how can anyone forget that the NFL made the decision to play the Saints/Giants home game in NY. Was that really the best possible option??? Was there no neutral field that the game could have been played in?? Please!!!

In my opinion, as a displaced Saints fan who really isn't missing anything, I think this is a horrible way for the NFL to treat Saints fans. Its even worse for the Saints organization to treat their own fans.

The point of the original poster is interesting, but a little misguided. Yes, we should be thankful that the NFL stopped Benson from moving the Saints right away. But does anyone believe that the NFL will come to the rescue if Benson decides to move the team in another 2-3 years?

Others have made the point: the NFL came to the rescue at the time because to allow the Saints to move would have been a PR nightmare. It was in their own best interests.

As for the NFL throwing such a big party for the re-opening of the Dome... Again, has anyone noticed that the NFL goes out of its way to throw parties? That kind of exposure only helps ratings and the bottom line.

And, how can anyone forget that the NFL made the decision to play the Saints/Giants home game in NY. Was that really the best possible option??? Was there no neutral field that the game could have been played in?? Please!!!

In my opinion, as a displaced Saints fan who really isn't missing anything, I think this is a horrible way for the NFL to treat Saints fans. Its even worse for the Saints organization to treat their own fans.
+1 All you who say this is good "exposure" for the city, I have some "advertising" I'd like to sell you.

Advertising works for certain products for certain targets. This is where you get the saying, "selling ice cubes to Eskimos." European travelers already know where New Orleans is.

You'd get more bang for your buck exposing the Saints and New Orleans to SHREVEPORT. (or Pensacola or Mobile or Memphis)

I like all you folks, and we're rooting for the same team, and I'll be back in the Dome for '08. But---- It's a stupid idea and I hate it.

Last edited:
The city of new orleans doesn't owe the nfl ANYTHING!!!

It would have looked bad if the NFL tuck-tail and allow Benson to re-locate his team.

Do any of you think the NFL would support New Orleans if we didn't have any game sold-outs? Nope!

Besides, it makes no sense playing any games in places like London or where ever because logistically it's not good. Teams will have long flights and players will have to get re-adjusted. It may be a longer version of playing in Seattle.

NFL should have just kept the NFL Europe farm league if they wanted games to be played there. But there are better ways to market NFL football abroad... this ain't one of them!!!

We don't owe them jack. They made the Saints play a home game at Giants stadium and also manufactured a Giants win via the officials right after 9/11.

I dont know about all that "We dont owe them anything," stuff. I dont think the NFL did this to be vindictive, and I do appreciate them doing what they did to keep us in town. No, I'm still thankful to the league, and I think we should be. I just think it's a dumb idea for all the reasons already stated.

The Giants did not host the London game. The Dolphins did. So using this logic we will go 1-15 and the Chargers will go to the Super Bowl.....

But using the logic that the Giants were the NFC rep would put the Saints in the Super Bowl.

:mwink:

but why us this year?
why not the Bucs or whoever the World Champs will be?
why not the Buffalo Bills, who don't like playing in their town anyway?

I know we stink at home, but taking away a home game probably means $10 million to the local economy on game day, right?

Why not the Dallas Cowgirls?
Or another team I hate, the Chicago Bears or the Philly Iggles?
The NFL is going to compensate the Saints for all revenue lost by losing a home game but you're right about the local stores and restaurants.

Really I was asking a question, hence why I put a question mark at the end. Seems to me that if people don't mind us losing a home game because "we play better on the road anyway" then my next question to them would be "why play anymore, much less 7, games at home??"

Interpret it whichever way you want but that's disgusting to me. I do not care how great we play on the road, I don't want to lose a home game period. We don't get many games(especially the last 2 years) to see them as it is.
Because then we wouldn't be the NEW ORLEANS Saints. And you'd have to ask them to verify, but I'm pretty sure those who said that are just trying to be optimistic about the situation.

Any successful business person can tell you that sometimes you have to think long term. The many windfalls from the London game and the global exposure it will bring us will pay far more dividends to the NFL, Saints franchise, the city of New Orleans and ultimately us Saints fans, than a regular home game. Loosing a real home game in the Dome is a lot for the NFL to ask from Saints fans, but as it has already been pointed out, we sorta owe the NFL for not throwing the city of New Orleans under the bus after Katrina. So many other franchises and corporations bolted as fast as they could, but Tags tightened the screws on Benson and kept him from following suit. It was the right thing and the honorable thing to do.

Incidentally, I think the city of New Orleans and the Saints should erect a statue of Paul Tagliabue in front of the Superdome. The least New Orleans could do is crown Tags Rex or Bacchus. I think we owe him.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom