LONDON COUNTERPOINT: We owe the NFL one (2 Viewers)

I was looking forward to the Chargers game most this season. I was hoping it would be a Monday or Sunday nighter so that I could book a weekend around it.

Of all the games they could take, they take the one that I was wanting to see most. I saw it posted elsewhere about seeing a RB like LT in his prime and I agree. You don't get alot of chances to see those guys up close and by the time the Chargers play the Saints again at NO he will likely not be there anymore.

How dissapointing.

Now having said that....and international game does have advantages as far as exposure and at least they'll have a bye week after, IIRC that was discussed last season. I do agree with the sentiment of the OP as well.......we do owe the NFL one for putting Benson in his place. It's a complicated issue for sure....

Didn't someone mention that the Dolphins fans had a chance to purchase travel packages?
This would ONLY be fair for us season ticket ticket holders.
If we are unable to have FIRST shot at the tickets, then this is total b.s.
If it's a HOME game, I want my 4 HOME game tickets!!!!!
I was as outraged as many others here when I first heard the news, but this might be my ONLY chance to ever get to London, so......
My wife wants to see London, I want to see my Saints, LT, THEN London...........
********Obviously, as a Brett Farve U. graduate, the game I want to see most next year is against the Pack, with the San Diego game a VERY close second!

Last edited:
Just my 2 cents...I live in London, so I'm obviously delighted the Saints are coming to town...

As for the whole home game debate, this is only an issue if this London game is a short term thing...if it runs for the next 31 years and teams like the Pats/Steelers/'Skins don't forfeit home games to play in London, then yes, I'll agree with you on the whole 'conspiracy' thing...other than that, I'm afraid I think it's not such a terrible thing to get the "home-away" game out of the way, don't you think?

And anyway, I'm pretty sure the crowd will be more pro-Saint than pro-Charger...more local support for the Saints (and there will be even more when the local papers start reporting on the Katrina angle, NFCCG season, Brees vs. Rivers - all story lines that will appeal to the English)...so...

geaux Saints! And closer to the time, I hope to be hearing from some of my Saints brothers (and sisters) who do manage to make the trip (which I understand is a real SOB) so I can show you around my town!

look- if it's a ticket to the super bowl (see NYG), then I'm all for it. If it's a ticket to a one win season (see Miami), then I hate it.

I am just annoyed that it is the best home game on the schedule. Also i dont feel like I should have to pay for 8 games when only 7 will be played in the dome. Now if they give us an opportunity for dibs on tickets to the game then I may change my attitude.

I am just annoyed that it is the best home game on the schedule. Also i dont feel like I should have to pay for 8 games when only 7 will be played in the dome. Now if they give us an opportunity for dibs on tickets to the game then I may change my attitude.

You will not have to pay for 8 games.....you'll actually have to pay for 9.....7 regular season and 2 pre-season.:hihi:

seriously......they aren't going to charge us for 8 regular season games...I don't know where that idea got started but it's just not accurate.

I've been reading all of the outrage on this board against the NFL for sticking it to the city of New Orleans and Saints fans by taking a home game away next season and sending it to London. So let me offer an opposing point of view:

It's the least we can do.

After all, in the fall of 2005, when Tom Benson was working furiously behind the scenes to take ALL of our home games away and move the franchise permanently to San Antonio, it was the NFL who stepped in and stopped him.

In the spring of 2006, when the Superdome was still in tatters, it was the NFL who said: We're going to help you rebuild it in time for next season, and when you reopen it, we're going to throw you the biggest regular season party this sport has ever seen.

Simply put, the NFL SAVED the New Orleans Saints. If we can pay the league back by eating a home game so they can promote the sport overseas, that's a small price to pay.

I hate to lose a home game, too, especially a marquee game with such a compelling story line (Drew Brees facing off against his old team). But I believe in repaying friends who helped me out when I was down. So I'll gladly do that for the good old NFL, whose bold leadership was the only thing this broken city had going for it for a while there.

Some people around here have short memories. The NFL isn't screwing us. They're just asking us to return a favor. As Southern gentlemen, the correct response should be: You got it, hoss. Let us know if there's anything else we can do to help.

Yeah, what he said.:plus-un2:

the NFL saved our Saints and honored us the fans with an amazing monday nighter against the falcons. This year, even though we screwed the pooch, we had 3 prime time games. This is another prime time game. I wish it was in the dome, but like somoene else said, this is an honor.

Enjoy Brit Saints fans...

But they each bring $287,427,600.12 into the city (plus tips, less inflation, excludes parking and local taxes. YMMV).

Was it all sent to Buffalo, Cleveland, or Swaggart on the quiet? I have a lingering suspicion that, overall, New Orleans is some way ahead - I just hope some industrious soul can set me straight if I'm incorrect.

I don't know I was just defending New Orleans:hihi: but maybe it was because back in the day the Super Dome was The Super Dome and LA was rewarded for such an awesome NFL facility.:dunno: That along with the package that was presented to get it here.

Yes, but you're on your own for the travel arrangements and parking in the UK.

(j/k)

Then again, you could always visit stubhub.com or somewhere like that and make some $$$ of those tickets.

The Brits have to get them from somewhere.

POSTED 10:56 a.m. EST, January 28, 2008
LOSS OF NEW ORLEANS GAME QUESTIONED
Published reports indicate that the Saints will "host" a home game in London next year, and that their opponent will be the Chargers.
But as one league source opined to us over the weekend, "What happened to the league's commitment to New Orleans?"
In 2005, the area was devastated by a hurricane. That season, the entire slate of "home" games was played in places like San Antonio and Baton Rouge, and even New Jersey.
At a time when there was mounting speculation that owner Tom Benson might use the devastation as an excuse for moving the team, the league recognized that the abandonment of New Orleans was not an option. Benson's tune quickly changed.
Rest Here http://www.profootballtalk.com/rumormill.htm

look- if it's a ticket to the super bowl (see NYG), then I'm all for it. If it's a ticket to a one win season (see Miami), then I hate it.

You stole my thunder. I look at it this way. In today's statistics-and-tendencies-ruled NFL, if the Saints play in London as the Giants did last year, then we're the annointed choice to go to the Super Bowl next year!

:ezbill:

The Giants did not host the London game. The Dolphins did. So using this logic we will go 1-15 and the Chargers will go to the Super Bowl.....

but why us this year?
why not the Bucs or whoever the World Champs will be?
why not the Buffalo Bills, who don't like playing in their town anyway?

I know we stink at home, but taking away a home game probably means $10 million to the local economy on game day, right?

Why not the Dallas Cowgirls?
Or another team I hate, the Chicago Bears or the Philly Iggles?

I think the NFL wants too good attacking teams this year. The Giants & Dolphins game was a bit of a damp squib but I think the Chargers & Saints tearing each other up is what people want to see. If they want to promote the sport then they want teams playing who will score etc.
This game also puts the City of New Orleans in great exposure, letting people know that the city is coming back bigtime. You would be surprised over here folks of the amount of people who think New Orleans was completely destroyed & nothing has been done about it. Some people seem to think its a virtual ghost town now which you know is wrong.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom