TV Long anticipated Deadwood movie finally greenlit by HBO (1 Viewer)

As someone who as watched the 3 original seasons many many times. If for no other reason, I enjoyed the dialog more than any show I've watched on T.V. Every time I rewatched it, I picked up on something new. First off. I did enjoy the movie. It was a bit of a trip to quickly realize how much time has gone by. How the characters have aged. I may need to rewatch the movie a few times. because it seemed to me, there were a few times, where the dialog felt to me like someone who was trying to write LIKE David Milch. Like they were trying but sometimes failed to make the mark. Or maybe the actors were a bit out of touch with their characters and failed to deliver lines like they should or could have. I know that David Milch has the onset of Alzheimers. I wonder if he wrote all the dialog, or was there help etc. This is all a very nit picky thought. It just comes from someone who very much enjoyed the original series, and wished it had gone on for years. The way David Milch used to write those episodes.. constantly changing directions and dialog it was such a treat.

I like your post because the Deadwood series was great. I would turn on closed captions so I wouldn't miss any of the dialogue. It was that great.

I thought this was all David Milch. I believe the script was written years ago but I'll have to look it up.

Edit:This article is from 2016

Great series and great movie. I also watched with subtitles. I watch with subtitles on many shows/movies now, but I would say that Deadwood reaps the most benefit from doing so. So many layers of meaning in the dialogue.

... the dialog felt to me like someone who was trying to write LIKE David Milch...

I was thinking the same thing. The dialogue was a little less flowery that the original series - but it certainly did not diminish my enjoyment of it. I wonder if had anything to do with Milch's age/health.

I agree the dialogue was a bit off. It was like they were trying too hard. It lacked a bit of subtlety and was forced at times. The movie in general was good and fun. I'm glad to have this last installment with these characters. Ultimately it's a nicety, something appreciated but not all that necessary.

I agree the dialogue was a bit off. It was like they were trying too hard. It lacked a bit of subtlety and was forced at times. The movie in general was good and fun. I'm glad to have this last installment with these characters. Ultimately it's a nicety, something appreciated but not all that necessary.

I am repeating myself but I'm glad David Milch got his movie made. He wasn't happy with the way it ended.

We all have different opinions. I thought the dialogue was great.

But I think we can all agree it was nice to see all of these characters together one more time.

Powers Boothe was missed.

I understand what you're saying, but I felt a bit differently.

I didn't think the plot of the movie (I won't spoil anything) was all that necessary (or even completely new), but I thought it allowed for some VERY necessary emotional catharsis (for both the audience and characters) and endings to character arcs.

I found it to be more than a nice addition.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom