(long read) Let's talk Jameis Winston's future... while keeping it real. (2 Viewers)

ndcc

Saints' fan 4ever
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Sad to leave NOLA to AZ; going into ministry
There's a wide spectrum of opinions on WHY Jameis is not the starter, even after Carr is on the roster.

Some are glad Jameis is not the starter, others know that he's recovering from serious injury, and some think it's for reasons other than his ability to play football. Let's go down the list, and raise the BS flag whereever it's warranted:

A. Jameis was never a good QB, and should have been put on the unemployment line years ago.

Anyone who holds to this opinion doesn't know football. As most WhoDats know, Jameis was a Heisman Trophy winner and the first overall pick (eight years ago in the 2015 draft) by the Tampa Bay Buccaneers.

* As a rookie, he was selected for the 2016 Pro Bowl (...from the 2015 season). In his second season with the Bucs, Winston led his team to a playoff berth (with the #6 seed). Jameis was the first QB in NFL history to start his career with two (2) consecutive 4,000+ yds passing seasons.

* In the 2017 season, Winston became the second-youngest player in NFL history to reach 10,000 career passing yards (Note: Drew Bledsoe beat him out by 4 days younger).

* 2018 was a dumpster fire; no need to go there!

* In 2019, he passed for 385 yards and four touchdowns in a 55–40 win over the Rams, and was named NFC Offensive Player of the Week. In that same 2019 season (in a 38–17 win over the Detroit Lions in Week 15), Winston finished with a career-best 458 passing yards, four rushing yards, four touchdowns, and one interception as he both became the first quarterback in NFL history to have consecutive games of 450 passing yards AND broke the Buccaneers franchise record for passing touchdowns in a single season.

Jameis has had serious injuries

As a reminder: Jameis suffered a very nasty ACL injury (see video below):

...but fractures to some of his vertebrae have been detected by the Saints' medical staff. Let's not forget that their medical staff has detected potentially serious physical conditions in players that could have been disastrous if left undetected. Consider the following:

According to Fox News sports insider, Jay Glazer:
“Jameis Winston’s playing in this game with four fractures in his back, from the L1 (vertebrae) all the way down to L4. I’m told there’s no risk of further damage.”

The human body contains 33 vertebrae, so the possibility for further damage is absolutely there, even if the Saints medical staff feel this specific issue has been dealt with.

https://saintswire.usatoday.com/202...nston-injury-report-fractured-vertebrae-back/.

Despite the disappointments, Jameis has remained a "TEAM FIRST" player!

"I'm healing up. I haven't been playing. This is the best healing I can get," Winston said.

Winston said it has been a difficult season for him, but he's trying to focus on being a leader from the sidelines.

"What's going on right now is what I've got to deal with right now and focus on right now. I'll handle what's going on right now, and when that time comes for me to eventually come back on the field, which hopefully it will, I'm going to support Andy, I'm going to support this offense, I'm going to support everyone on this offensive staff the best I possibly can, and that's it," Winston said. "Because, like I said, I wear that shirt that says, 'Big team, little me,' even though it hurts my heart. It hurts my soul the way things have turned out to be this year, but it is what it is."

He added: "No one person makes a team win. We need to get a team win and I think we'll all be better at the end of the day."

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id...n-says-not-playing-hurts-my-soul?platform=amp

The evidence seems to indicate that Jameis is a tremendous competitor, and wants to get back on the field. It is equally evident that the Saints' management, medical and coaching staff have a keen and genuine concern for Jameis' health going into the foreseeable future. Putting Jameis back on the field as the starter TOO SOON (knowing that he has fractures in his vertebrae) can put him at serious risk. They too want him to maximize his opportunities, but they are taking a more OBJECTIVE approach in doing what's best for the player and the team in the long run.

Evidently, Jameis is at peace with the reasoning and actions of upper management and the coaching staff, given his decision to sign on again for the 2023 season.

Maybe not all... but most WhoDats are happy Jameis is on the roster standing by to answer the call, if need be.

:gosaints:

Last edited:
Is he going to have to retire before people will give this up? He's going to be the backup this year. We gave him more money than he would've gotten elsewhere and we also saved more on the cap than we would have by cutting him. It was good for both parties. Hopefully next year Haener has shown enough to be the backup so we can get out of the 5-15mil backup QB business.

Winston is a quality QB. He's shown it when he was the starter in Tampa. He's more talented than the bottom half of the other staters in the league. He's got the talent, but the knock on him has been decision making.

I would imagine that he will get a chance to start some where after his time here is over.

Personally I wish him much success where ever he goes.

50cent-rapper.gif

I think, if Haener plays well enough in the preseason, Winston will be cut. If they had cut Winston, they would have had a bunch of dead money. By keeping him and renegotiating the contract reduction, the Saints had Winston plus more than $10 million more in cap space to work with than if they had cut him. If he plays better than he did last year or if Haener isn't ready to be the back up, Winston can make the final 53-man roster.

I think, if Haener plays well enough in the preseason, Winston will be cut. If they had cut Winston, they would have had a bunch of dead money. By keeping him and renegotiating the contract reduction, the Saints had Winston plus more than $10 million more in cap space to work with than if they had cut him. If he plays better than he did last year or if Haener isn't ready to be the back up, Winston can make the final 53-man roster.
That won't happen. Logically that doesn't even make sense to cut a good back up option with a ton games for rookie that never played NFL ball.

The $10 million will be a dead cap hit next season based on the structuring of the contract. Cutting him would only save $4million on this years contract.

The team is built to win now. We need a Vet back up.

there is no way we cut Jameis regardless of how well Haener plays in camp.

The $10 million will be a dead cap hit next season based on the structuring of the contract. Cutting him would only save $4million on this years contract.

The team is built to win now. We need a Vet back up.

there is no way we cut Jameis regardless of how well Haener plays in camp.
That $4m is guaranteed ($2.835m signing bonus plus $1.165m guaranteed salary), we can't save it if we cut him.

And I 100% agree that we need a vet backup, and that there is no way we cut Jameis. The only question is whether we carry three QB's, which I think is the plan.

That $4m is guaranteed ($2.835m signing bonus plus $1.165m guaranteed salary), we can't save it if we cut him.

And I 100% agree that we need a vet backup, and that there is no way we cut Jameis. The only question is whether we carry three QB's, which I think is the plan.
I know the $10M is for a voidable year next year, so does that mean there is no cap savings in cutting Winston?

There's a wide spectrum of opinions on WHY Jameis is not the starter, even after Carr is on the roster.

Some are glad Jameis is not the starter, others know that he's recovering from serious injury, and some think it's for reasons other than his ability to play football. Let's go down the list, and raise the BS flag whereever it's warranted:

A. Jameis was never a good QB, and should have been put on the unemployment line years ago.

Anyone who holds to this opinion doesn't know football. As most WhoDats know, Jameis was a Heisman Trophy winner and the first overall pick (eight years ago in the 2015 draft) by the Tampa Bay Buccaneers.

* As a rookie, he was selected for the 2016 Pro Bowl (...from the 2015 season). In his second season with the Bucs, Winston led his team to a playoff berth (with the #6 seed). Jameis was the first QB in NFL history to start his career with two (2) consecutive 4,000+ yds passing seasons.

* In the 2017 season, Winston became the second-youngest player in NFL history to reach 10,000 career passing yards (Note: Drew Bledsoe beat him out by 4 days younger).

* 2018 was a dumpster fire; no need to go there!

* In 2019, he passed for 385 yards and four touchdowns in a 55–40 win over the Rams, and was named NFC Offensive Player of the Week. In that same 2019 season (in a 38–17 win over the Detroit Lions in Week 15), Winston finished with a career-best 458 passing yards, four rushing yards, four touchdowns, and one interception as he both became the first quarterback in NFL history to have consecutive games of 450 passing yards AND broke the Buccaneers franchise record for passing touchdowns in a single season.

Jameis has had serious injuries

As a reminder: Jameis suffered a very nasty ACL injury (see video below):

...but fractures to some of his vertebrae have been detected by the Saints' medical staff. Let's not forget that their medical staff has detected potentially serious physical conditions in players that could have been disastrous if left undetected. Consider the following:

According to Fox News sports insider, Jay Glazer:
“Jameis Winston’s playing in this game with four fractures in his back, from the L1 (vertebrae) all the way down to L4. I’m told there’s no risk of further damage.”

The human body contains 33 vertebrae, so the possibility for further damage is absolutely there, even if the Saints medical staff feel this specific issue has been dealt with.

https://saintswire.usatoday.com/202...nston-injury-report-fractured-vertebrae-back/.

Despite the disappointments, Jameis has remained a "TEAM FIRST" player!

"I'm healing up. I haven't been playing. This is the best healing I can get," Winston said.

Winston said it has been a difficult season for him, but he's trying to focus on being a leader from the sidelines.

"What's going on right now is what I've got to deal with right now and focus on right now. I'll handle what's going on right now, and when that time comes for me to eventually come back on the field, which hopefully it will, I'm going to support Andy, I'm going to support this offense, I'm going to support everyone on this offensive staff the best I possibly can, and that's it," Winston said. "Because, like I said, I wear that shirt that says, [color="blue]'Big team, little me,' even though it hurts my heart[/b][/color]. It hurts my soul the way things have turned out to be this year, but it is what it is."

He added: "No one person makes a team win. We need to get a team win and I think we'll all be better at the end of the day."

[URL]https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/35054465/saints-qb-jameis-winston-says-not-playing-hurts-my-soul?platform=amp[/URL]

The evidence seems to indicate that Jameis is a tremendous competitor, and wants to get back on the field. It is equally evident that the Saints' management, medical and coaching staff have a keen and genuine concern for Jameis' health going into the foreseeable future. Putting Jameis back on the field as the starter TOO SOON (knowing that he has fractures in his vertebrae) can put him at serious risk. They too want him to maximize his opportunities, but they are taking a more OBJECTIVE approach in doing what's best for the player and the team in the long run.

Evidently, Jameis is at peace with the reasoning and actions of upper management and the coaching staff, given his decision to sign on again for the 2023 season.

Maybe not all... but [b][color="gold"]most WhoDats
[/color] are happy Jameis is on the roster standing by to answer the call, if need be.

:gosaints:

Put the keyboard down Jameis.

I know the $10M is for a voidable year next year, so does that mean there is no cap savings in cutting Winston?
No savings from cutting him this year. It would cost us to release him before June 1 but that isn't realistic.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom