(long read) Let's talk Jameis Winston's future... while keeping it real. (1 Viewer)

There's a wide spectrum of opinions on WHY Jameis is not the starter, even after Carr is on the roster.

Some are glad Jameis is not the starter, others know that he's recovering from serious injury, and some think it's for reasons other than his ability to play football. Let's go down the list, and raise the BS flag whereever it's warranted:

A. Jameis was never a good QB, and should have been put on the unemployment line years ago.

Anyone who holds to this opinion doesn't know football. As most WhoDats know, Jameis was a Heisman Trophy winner and the first overall pick (eight years ago in the 2015 draft) by the Tampa Bay Buccaneers.

* As a rookie, he was selected for the 2016 Pro Bowl (...from the 2015 season). In his second season with the Bucs, Winston led his team to a playoff berth (with the #6 seed). Jameis was the first QB in NFL history to start his career with two (2) consecutive 4,000+ yds passing seasons.

* In the 2017 season, Winston became the second-youngest player in NFL history to reach 10,000 career passing yards (Note: Drew Bledsoe beat him out by 4 days younger).

* 2018 was a dumpster fire; no need to go there!

* In 2019, he passed for 385 yards and four touchdowns in a 55–40 win over the Rams, and was named NFC Offensive Player of the Week. In that same 2019 season (in a 38–17 win over the Detroit Lions in Week 15), Winston finished with a career-best 458 passing yards, four rushing yards, four touchdowns, and one interception as he both became the first quarterback in NFL history to have consecutive games of 450 passing yards AND broke the Buccaneers franchise record for passing touchdowns in a single season.

Jameis has had serious injuries

As a reminder: Jameis suffered a very nasty ACL injury (see video below):

...but fractures to some of his vertebrae have been detected by the Saints' medical staff. Let's not forget that their medical staff has detected potentially serious physical conditions in players that could have been disastrous if left undetected. Consider the following:

According to Fox News sports insider, Jay Glazer:
“Jameis Winston’s playing in this game with four fractures in his back, from the L1 (vertebrae) all the way down to L4. I’m told there’s no risk of further damage.”

The human body contains 33 vertebrae, so the possibility for further damage is absolutely there, even if the Saints medical staff feel this specific issue has been dealt with.

https://saintswire.usatoday.com/202...nston-injury-report-fractured-vertebrae-back/.

Despite the disappointments, Jameis has remained a "TEAM FIRST" player!

"I'm healing up. I haven't been playing. This is the best healing I can get," Winston said.

Winston said it has been a difficult season for him, but he's trying to focus on being a leader from the sidelines.

"What's going on right now is what I've got to deal with right now and focus on right now. I'll handle what's going on right now, and when that time comes for me to eventually come back on the field, which hopefully it will, I'm going to support Andy, I'm going to support this offense, I'm going to support everyone on this offensive staff the best I possibly can, and that's it," Winston said. "Because, like I said, I wear that shirt that says, [color="blue]'Big team, little me,' even though it hurts my heart[/color]. It hurts my soul the way things have turned out to be this year, but it is what it is."

He added: "No one person makes a team win. We need to get a team win and I think we'll all be better at the end of the day."

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id...n-says-not-playing-hurts-my-soul?platform=amp

The evidence seems to indicate that Jameis is a tremendous competitor, and wants to get back on the field. It is equally evident that the Saints' management, medical and coaching staff have a keen and genuine concern for Jameis' health going into the foreseeable future. Putting Jameis back on the field as the starter TOO SOON (knowing that he has fractures in his vertebrae) can put him at serious risk. They too want him to maximize his opportunities, but they are taking a more OBJECTIVE approach in doing what's best for the player and the team in the long run.

Evidently, Jameis is at peace with the reasoning and actions of upper management and the coaching staff, given his decision to sign on again for the 2023 season.

Maybe not all... but most WhoDats are happy Jameis is on the roster standing by to answer the call, if need be.

:gosaints:

Jamies is not the starter because D.A didn't want him to be.

The lengths some of y'all go to regarding unproven, rookie QBs, that haven't taken a snap in the NFL. The "IT" factor! Is that comparable to "good will credit"?
I got interested in Haener before last yrs draft, so I watched a lot of his games this yr. I'm guessing you watched a couple of highlight clips. I define the "IT" factor as when a player makes all the other players around him better by his play his desire to win and his determination and toughness. I see a lot of those qualities in Haener, you might s well if you watched him play more

Winston is a quality QB. He's shown it when he was the starter in Tampa. He's more talented than the bottom half of the other staters in the league. He's got the talent, but the knock on him has been decision making.

I would imagine that he will get a chance to start some where after his time here is over.

Personally I wish him much success where ever he goes.
Possibly given a chance but I see nothing that indicates his decision making will improve. Great guy and while he's a Saint I'll pull for him but as a football player to lead a franchise.....I'll pass (pun intended)

I got interested in Haener before last yrs draft, so I watched a lot of his games this yr. I'm guessing you watched a couple of highlight clips. I define the "IT" factor as when a player makes all the other players around him better by his play his desire to win and his determination and toughness. I see a lot of those qualities in Haener, you might s well if you watched him play more
So how many NFL snaps has he shown this factor?

So how many NFL snaps has he shown this factor?
SMH, your comment is ridiculous. You could say "So how many NFL snaps have they shown this ability" about EVERY great player that has played in the NFL BEFORE they ever took a snap.

Winston will be the #2 QB but he could also be traded to a Team looking to improve their QB room providing Winston with the opportunity to start or compete for a starting spot.

SMH, your comment is ridiculous. You could say "So how many NFL snaps have they shown this ability" about EVERY great player that has played in the NFL BEFORE they ever took a snap.
Players became great players because they DID it in the NFL.

This sounds like a Jameis 1 Of 1 type of thread.😩🤣

I adore Jaboo. I wish like hell everything worked out, cause he’s just so awesome of a human. The reality is the saints don’t owe him playing time. Many franchises didn’t give him a second thought after his Tampa showing. Fewer looked his way after his first major injury let alone when he ended last season hurt again.

At present, he is a backup. Potential can only get you opportunities for so long in the NFL. Geno caught lightening in a bottle. If he is just as good this year then hats off to him, but I need to see him repeat his great play. Folks who look to Geno’s revival as proof Jameis can do the same are putting the cart before the horse. Jaboo has to prove he can first stay on the field consistently. Then he’d have to go a full season playing at a high level, before he can get viewed as a legit QB1 by the league. Right now it’s best for him to heal all the way up. Then go to a team with a weak QB1 or shaky QB room, so he can get the chance to lead the way. I wish him well no matter how things go after this season.

Some of you are ridiculous. We went out and got Carr and now Jaboo is still getting hate as a backup. If you don't like the man just say so. Geesh. Name 64 QBs better than Jameis.
Is it hate to say you don’t believe (AT PRESENT) he’s a starter in this league? I want to be wrong on this, but I don’t believe I am. Neither do 32 GM’s. Hopefully, that changes for Jaboo, and he gets a chance in the AFC to be the man again. But as it stands today, I believe he’s an elite QB2.

Where did I say "Is Jameis good enough to start"? Your paraphrasing is not even close.

The real point was challenging those who feel that Jameis isn't even worth being on the roster as a backup. If you re-read my bottom line, it says:

"...Jameis is on the roster standing by to answer the call, if need be."

Standing by means AS A BACKUP ...not as a starter.

:gosaints:
Where are all the members saying they don’t want Jaboo as a backup? I haven’t seen hardly anyone hating on him being QB2. I have seen folk pushback on the, “Jameis got screwed and still deserves to start.” crowd.

Jameis is a top shelf QB2, and I’d question anyone who argues otherwise. Luckily, there aren’t many people that I’ve seen on this board claiming he isn’t.

Where are all the members saying they don’t want Jaboo as a backup? I haven’t seen hardly anyone hating on him being QB2. I have seen folk pushback on the, “Jameis got screwed and still deserves to start.” crowd.

Jameis is a top shelf QB2, and I’d question anyone who argues otherwise. Luckily, there aren’t many people that I’ve seen on this board claiming he isn’t.
Agreed, but I do question people who think we should immediately get rid of him for Haener. That smells a little off to me.

Agreed, but I do question people who think we should immediately get rid of him for Haener. That smells a little off to me.
Oh, absolutely. It’s insanity to see how injury prone we’ve been at that position (and how many teams have lost their whole seasons to their QB1 going down) but still have folk thinking a rookie should be our QB2.

I am completely comfortable w/Jameis as our QB2 and believe he’s one of the top backups in the league. I do agree that folks desiring to get rid of Jameis for an unproven Haener does sound illogical. It’s definitely off.

If Jameis gets typical QB2 money, I'm happy with him at QB2.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom