(long read) Let's talk Jameis Winston's future... while keeping it real. (1 Viewer)

If Jameis gets typical QB2 money, I'm happy with him at QB2.
After the contract renegotiation he's getting paid less than Sam Darnold is making with the 49ers. Darnold is their #3 QB. Darnold is also an all-time draft bust, while comparatively, Jameis just hasn't lived up to his #1 overall draft status.

After the contract renegotiation he's getting paid less than Sam Darnold is making with the 49ers. Darnold is their #3 QB.
Good No2 QB, good price! Now, if we could get our No3 QB's salary down a bit maybe we could afford a FA Linebacker. :hihi:

Now with 17 regular season games

the value and availability of the backup QB are of utmost importance

last night my Dad and I got the Ouija board out

Jameis Winston takes over as the starter when Carr goes down for the season on week 11

Week 12 Pete Carmicheal gets fired

Jameis Winston leads the Saints to Superbowl victory

Licks his fingers with the "W' sign into the winning locker room

Good No2 QB, good price! Now, if we could get our No3 QB's salary down a bit maybe we could afford a FA Linebacker. :hihi:
Eh, I don't begrudge Taysom his contract. We saw how bad the offense is when the team doesn't try to get him involved last season. But his value to the offense is also why I don't like him starting. You lose that surprise element when he's always lined up under center.

Eh, I don't begrudge Taysom his contract. We saw how bad the offense is when the team doesn't try to get him involved last season. But his value to the offense is also why I don't like him starting. You lose that surprise element when he's always lined up under center.
that's because they always call a run play with TH7...only question is where it's going. If they let him throw it once in awhile (like the season he took over for injured JW2), the surprise element is back in play.

With that said, I want the best players on the field, and DC4 is clearly the best QB on this team now. I don't mind mixing it up with TH7 to keep defenses honest.....but jeezus....if it's obvious to US that when TH7 is behind center, it's a running play, how obvious is it to the defense?!!!

I'd like to keep TH7 on the field for every snap....as a TE/H-back, split out; or even a Tom Rathman style fullback that catches passes out of the backfield. Throw in a couple wildcat snaps per game and....tada....the element of surprise is back in play, and he's a threat on EVERY snap, not just the obvious snaps. JMO...

that's because they always call a run play with TH7...only question is where it's going. If they let him throw it once in awhile (like the season he took over for injured JW2), the surprise element is back in play.

With that said, I want the best players on the field, and DC4 is clearly the best QB on this team now. I don't mind mixing it up with TH7 to keep defenses honest.....but jeezus....if it's obvious to US that when TH7 is behind center, it's a running play, how obvious is it to the defense?!!!

I'd like to keep TH7 on the field for every snap....as a TE/H-back, split out; or even a Tom Rathman style fullback that catches passes out of the backfield. Throw in a couple wildcat snaps per game and....tada....the element of surprise is back in play, and he's a threat on EVERY snap, not just the obvious snaps. JMO...
Weirdly enough, last season when he was mostly kept out of the QB room was the best I've seen Taysom pass. Man was making pre-snap reads and deciding on his hot route before he ever touched the ball.

Even though they knew it was coming, Hill averaged 6.0 yards per carry while our RB's averaged 3.9 yards per carry. If ranked alongside running backs, he was 8th out of 37 at converting power situations for players with at least ten attempts (23rd out of 52 when including all the QB sneaks, but Hill's attempts were in shotgun).

Is it hate to say you don’t believe (AT PRESENT) he’s a starter in this league? I want to be wrong on this, but I don’t believe I am. Neither do 32 GM’s. Hopefully, that changes for Jaboo, and he gets a chance in the AFC to be the man again. But as it stands today, I believe he’s an elite QB2.
He is an elite #2. I'm sure many teams would love to have him as their backup.

I believe he's still starter quality. But I don't knock those who don't. But I can't agree with those on here suggesting we cut him and keep Haener

1684960323323.jpeg

Dear Eight Pound, Six Ounce, Newborn Baby Jesus... don't even know a word yet.... just a little infant.... so cuddly.... but still omnipotent. We'd just like to thank you for Derek Carr, LOVE THAT QB! That them Saints have pilfered over this past season. Also we'd like to pray that all JW threads disappear by this time next year. So that we may once again gain our sanity as Who Dats. Thank you, for all your power and your grace, Dear Baby God, Amen

Last edited:
He is an elite #2. I'm sure many teams would love to have him as their backup.

I believe he's still starter quality. But I don't knock those who don't. But I can't agree with those on here suggesting we cut him and keep Haener
Count me in that group who was HOPING Haener would grasp our offense quickly and "ball out", allowing JW2 to be traded (post June 1) to a QB-needy team for whatever we can ransom him for (LB depth, draft picks...whatever we NEED?!), and not using up that 53rd roster spot for a guy who shouldn't even see the field this year (if things go as they should).

We can't stash Haener on the PS without getting him poached; and I didn't want to use that 53rd spot for a #3 QB who may never see the field this season. But with the league changing the rules to dress out a "#3/emergency QB" and NOT have it count against the roster, there is no good reason to HOPE for this anymore. With that 54th spot being an option, both problems are solved.

Let Haener develop as the #3 until he definitively supplants JW2. Then we'll worry about JW2....hopefully after this season is over.

Count me in that group who was HOPING Haener would grasp our offense quickly and "ball out", allowing JW2 to be traded (post June 1) to a QB-needy team for whatever we can ransom him for (LB depth, draft picks...whatever we NEED?!), and not using up that 53rd roster spot for a guy who shouldn't even see the field this year (if things go as they should).

We can't stash Haener on the PS without getting him poached; and I didn't want to use that 53rd spot for a #3 QB who may never see the field this season. But with the league changing the rules to dress out a "#3/emergency QB" and NOT have it count against the roster, there is no good reason to HOPE for this anymore. With that 54th spot being an option, both problems are solved.

Let Haener develop as the #3 until he definitively supplants JW2. Then we'll worry about JW2....hopefully after this season is over.
There's no level of play Haener could exhibit in Camp/Pre-season games that would make me cut Jameis. I find that idea extremely short sided and wishful in thinking. When the real bullets start flying, most rookie 4th round QBs will struggle mightily.

Yes.....because AD was just so effective.....he was a one of the reasons we couldn't score points.....but some think he was definitely better than Jameis.....in some universe, somewhere far away.....that is a complete and utter joke.....
What are you talking about..."it was clearly not debatable that AD was better."

/sarcasm

There's no level of play Haener could exhibit in Camp/Pre-season games that would make me cut Jameis. I find that idea extremely short sided and wishful in thinking. When the real bullets start flying, most rookie 4th round QBs will struggle mightily.
It's like people have learned nothing from the last couple years... Was suffering through the incompetence of Siemian and Dalton not enough to make them realize the value of depth at the most important position on offense?

The third QB has to be a part of the 53 man roster, the rosters weren’t expanded to 54. They are just going back to the rule where you can dress a third QB without him counting against your game day active limit. The extra QB can only play if the other two QB’s are not physically cleared to play, they cannot play as a result of the players ahead of them getting benched.

Also, for someone to claim Haener, they would have to put him on their active roster for at least three weeks. We could up his practice squad salary to be more in line with an active roster salary if we wanted to keep him loyal to the team that drafted him.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom