(long read) Let's talk Jameis Winston's future... while keeping it real. (1 Viewer)

I think back to when Teddy Bridgewater was with the Jets and played really well in pre-season... then the Saints traded for him as a backup. That all worked out pretty well. Based on that, I'd love to see this scenario play out:
  1. Haener really shows up in camp and pre-season and shows he can, at minimum, be a good backup.
  2. Winston plays really well in pre-season.
  3. The Saints get some value for Winston in a trade to another team.
I don't wish ill on anyone but that scenario works out even better if another team's starting or primary backup QB gets injured in camp or pre-season (something that always seems to happen).

Anyone who thinks a rookie zoolander looking midget is better than Winston isn't being objective. And there is no scenario where we could expect to win with him if Carr goes down.

Anyone who thinks a rookie zoolander looking midget is better than Winston isn't being objective. And there is no scenario where we could expect to win with him if Carr goes down.
Yep. I'm excited for his future but so far our only impressions are from a 40 minute segment where rookie minicamp was open to the media and 1 OTA. Oh and a photoshoot. Anyone handing him the backup QB position based off that shouldn't be taken seriously.

Weirdly enough, last season when he was mostly kept out of the QB room was the best I've seen Taysom pass. Man was making pre-snap reads and deciding on his hot route before he ever touched the ball.
Could be he's healthy. When he played QB in 21 he had the throwing hand injury

It's like people have learned nothing from the last couple years... Was suffering through the incompetence of Siemian and Dalton not enough to make them realize the value of depth at the most important position on offense?
My original post on this thread was about the amazement I feel at the suggestion that we cut Jameis because of some kid that hasn't done anything. Keeping Jameis is one of the smarter decisions he's made.

How many teams have a guy who has thrown for 5,000 yards and 30 TDs as their backup? None. Usually that guy keeps getting a starting gig. I understand his turnovers became the narrative, I just don't buy it. His year with "Mr Risk It" was his worst year as far as protecting the football. Even Tom was struggling year 1 until after their bye and they began to run Bradys old offense. His numbers in his first 5 years, as far as turnovers, were very similar to Peyton Manning.

Look, Jameis is far from perfect. But he's a really good QB with a great arm and he has become a great human being. I don't have one bad thing to say about the guy. At the end of the day, it's just football. It's his job. The older I get the more sick of some fans, who must not have much of a life, I become. I wish everybody on here had their job performance publicly scrutinized and criticized. Maybe then their tone would be more understanding.

Last edited:
Zoolander is the Zoolander looking midget. He's listed as 5' 7". Haener is listed as 5" 10". I've stood next to Ben Stiller, he's 5' 7" only if he's wearing lifts. Everything looks bigger on a video screen, hence the pervasive phallus pics.

Just watched Underhill's latest show. They were talking about how Winston was helping get Carr acclimated to how they do things.

And I don't think it can be understated how useful it is to have the QB depth we have because it helps us evaluate the WR's so much better than in years past where we had a scrub like Book throwing it to our backup WR's. Once he was in there it was impossible for a WR to get noticed.

There's no level of play Haener could exhibit in Camp/Pre-season games that would make me cut Jameis. I find that idea extremely short sided and wishful in thinking. When the real bullets start flying, most rookie 4th round QBs will struggle mightily.
I would never CUT JW2....but if the right TRADE package was available, AND it didn't leave a gaping hole to be filled in the #2 QB slot, I would seriously consider that TRADE. We are likely to lose JW2 next offseason, and get nothing in return. So IF Haener somehow shows out, blossoms under DC4 mentorship, and seizes the #2 spot from JW2, getting something for the loss of JW2 is better than getting nothing for the loss of JW2.

But to be clear, that's a pretty narrow needle to thread, and I just don't think it's going to happen. And cutting JW2 outright seems like a short-sighted and stupid idea. Ideally, we'll keep JW2 as perhaps the best backup QB in the league, and bring Haener along slowly. NEXT year is when these discussions are likely to become real. I agree with you.

But still hoping Haener does his part to force the issue. He doesn't have to win the #2 slot....just force the discussion. That means we're solving the correct problems. Choosing WHICH QBs to keep on the roster is a much different proposition than choosing WHO we can get to play QB, IMO...

The third QB has to be a part of the 53 man roster, the rosters weren’t expanded to 54. They are just going back to the rule where you can dress a third QB without him counting against your game day active limit. The extra QB can only play if the other two QB’s are not physically cleared to play, they cannot play as a result of the players ahead of them getting benched.

Also, for someone to claim Haener, they would have to put him on their active roster for at least three weeks. We could up his practice squad salary to be more in line with an active roster salary if we wanted to keep him loyal to the team that drafted him.
Ahhh....appreciate the clarity on this new rule. That's an important distinction. If I understand you correctly, you can dress a PS QB as an emergency QB for the 54th spot, but only a PS QB; otherwise, that QB is already on the 53? And if that's the case, I still maintain that Haener on the PS is a risky proposition....he's likely to get poached, no matter the salary; and if I'm a rookie PS QB who believes in myself, I'm going to go to whichever team is willing to give me a shot on an active roster, salary be damned.

I don't think Haener gets placed on the PS, as TH7 will allow us to carry a #3 QB and protect him. That 54th spot doesn't mean much if you're not a QB on the PS, correct? So maybe it's not the benefit I perceived it to be?

I am pulling for JW to get another opportunity.(another team) For right now, he is still a great teammate for us, even thru all he has gone thru.

Ahhh....appreciate the clarity on this new rule. That's an important distinction. If I understand you correctly, you can dress a PS QB as an emergency QB for the 54th spot, but only a PS QB; otherwise, that QB is already on the 53? And if that's the case, I still maintain that Haener on the PS is a risky proposition....he's likely to get poached, no matter the salary; and if I'm a rookie PS QB who believes in myself, I'm going to go to whichever team is willing to give me a shot on an active roster, salary be damned.

I don't think Haener gets placed on the PS, as TH7 will allow us to carry a #3 QB and protect him. That 54th spot doesn't mean much if you're not a QB on the PS, correct? So maybe it's not the benefit I perceived it to be?
He would need to be on the 53 to be an emergency QB, and I think it's likely we will keep three QB's at the expense of another position because of the rule change. Having three QB's last year wasn't as valuable because you probably wouldn't dress three QB's on game day, and they would take a roster spot all year. It also helps that Haener has a good shot to be our #2 next year on a cheap rookie contract, so we won't want to risk letting him go.

I only added the info about the practice squad because there is no limit to what you pay a practice squad player, so you can always try to incentivize a PS player to stay loyal if you wanted to. Pat Kirwan on Moving the Chains said all teams do it for their PS stars.

If Haener is on the practice squad and gets signed by another team, they could cut him after three weeks if/when their other guys get healthy, and they would not be obligated to match the higher PS salary you were paying. He gets less money, to go to an unfamiliar system, with a team that already had their guys before the season started.

1684960323323.jpeg

Dear Eight Pound, Six Ounce, Newborn Baby Jesus... don't even know a word yet.... just a little infant.... so cuddly.... but still omnipotent. We'd just like to thank you for Derek Carr, LOVE THAT QB! That them Saints have pilfered over this past season. Also we'd like to pray that all JW threads disappear by this time next year. So that we may once again gain our sanity as Who Dats. Thank you, for all your power and your grace, Dear Baby God, Amen

And Baby Jesus, you owe me, for dismally failing to answer my Taysom Hill prayers!!!!!!!!

I would never CUT JW2....but if the right TRADE package was available, AND it didn't leave a gaping hole to be filled in the #2 QB slot, I would seriously consider that TRADE. We are likely to lose JW2 next offseason, and get nothing in return. So IF Haener somehow shows out, blossoms under DC4 mentorship, and seizes the #2 spot from JW2, getting something for the loss of JW2 is better than getting nothing for the loss of JW2.

But to be clear, that's a pretty narrow needle to thread, and I just don't think it's going to happen. And cutting JW2 outright seems like a short-sighted and stupid idea. Ideally, we'll keep JW2 as perhaps the best backup QB in the league, and bring Haener along slowly. NEXT year is when these discussions are likely to become real. I agree with you.

But still hoping Haener does his part to force the issue. He doesn't have to win the #2 slot....just force the discussion. That means we're solving the correct problems. Choosing WHICH QBs to keep on the roster is a much different proposition than choosing WHO we can get to play QB, IMO...
I agree. I hope Haener pushes Janeis for the #2 spot. What a great problem to have.

It could take one camp injury for a team to come calling about Jameis. I agree we have to strongly consider offers as this is his last year in NOLA.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom